• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DNA Test

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
Did one of those DNA tings months back on a whim.

Has anyone here done them? With the map and percentages, it appeals to my brain. I love stuff like this.

My dad's from Lancashire. I thought with my nan being Irish, that I'd be 25%. Scottish though? No word of a lie, when I visited the Highlands, it felt like I belonged. I've repeatedly said I want to move there, and visualise it strongly. I feel very wistful when I ponder Scotland. It's also the place I visualised in my mind during yoga wind down breathing exercises, and during my EMDR sessions too.

I'd hoped for a random, small percentage ethnicity. Jesus Christ though, could I be any more white. According to science, only if I were albino.

Undeniably Celtic though.

To me this helps explain why foreign travel never clicked with me either. I'd rapidly get homesick, miss our family pets that were in the kennel and desperately wanting to go home. When Boxanne is done, I know it would take several lifetimes just to get to see all of the UK - and it's where I call home.

346298783_1395224721276409_2661354681472981504_n.jpg

Ed

Last edited:
While the idea of a DNA test does interest me, the first things that comes to mind whenever I think of them are as follows:

01. Those YouTube videos where someone does a DNA test (usually having babbled a lot first about what they think their heritage will be, like thinking they'll have African heritage as an example) and then looking disappointed/annoyed when it turns out that what they thought it would be isn't the case.

02. The awkward/drama-filled stories where a DNA test causes a family breakdown - usually because it turns out that "Dad" isn't the biological father and siblings may not be related to each other because Mum wasn't faithful.

That said, your result seems like a good one and I too have that feeling of belonging when I've been up in Scotland.

I’m adopted, and I actually do know a lot of what my ethnic background is, but I have occasionally considered doing a DNA test.

I have been told that I have very little, if any white European ancestry, but I’m a bit curious about that. I do know that my biological parents were not white. I’m kind of ambiguous looking though (I don’t really like the term “white passing.”)

It would be interesting to find out, and I really don’t think there are any potential results that would disappoint me, probably just some that might be surprising. Like I would be shocked if I was part Scandinavian or something lol

I haven't done one myself, but my dad did before he died, and I think my brother found the results in his house. I knew going in that my ancestry was mainly English, Lithuanian, and Polish. These are the test results:

Eastern European - 54% (Lithuania, Poland)

British and Irish - 25.5%
French and German - 13.9%
Scandinavian - 0.9%
Broadly Northwestern European - 3.7%

West African - 2%

It's funny what you say, Ed, about feeling at home certain places. I've always loved the north and picture it, too...think of Viking times and those territories. I've never been there, though.

Did one of those DNA tings months back on a whim.

Has anyone here done them? With the map and percentages, it appeals to my brain. I love stuff like this.

My dad's from Lancashire. I thought with my nan being Irish, that I'd be 25%. Scottish though? No word of a lie, when I visited the Highlands, it felt like I belonged. I've repeatedly said I want to move there, and visualise it strongly. I feel very wistful when I ponder Scotland. It's also the place I visualised in my mind during yoga wind down breathing exercises, and during my EMDR sessions too.

I'd hoped for a random, small percentage ethnicity. Jesus Christ though, could I be any more white. According to science, only if I were albino.

Undeniably Celtic though.

To me this helps explain why foreign travel never clicked with me either. I'd rapidly get homesick, miss our family pets that were in the kennel and desperately wanting to go home. When Boxanne is done, I know it would take several lifetimes just to get to see all of the UK - and it's where I call home.

View attachment 102934

Ed
Interesting! I'd want to do one someday. I know most of my ancestry is French Canadian, and a little bit Native American...but I wonder where else I come from? Probably France and England, further down the line.

I researched my DNA some time ago, and every so often a new ethnicity estimate is issued. It has changed a bit, every time I have visited it. Here is the current estimate:
Rs- AncestryDNA Ethnicity Estimate - 110523.png

I've never done one. If I did decide to do one I'd be curious to actually take a DNA test from more than one of the testing companies to see if the results were different. They should be identical, no? I can't help but be skeptical at the accuracy of the results.

My sister did a DNA test found a lost cousin my aunt had given up for adoption around when I was born. My mother had quietly told me about this years ago. kept it to myself surprise to rest of family. Aunt got pregnant back in Netherlander did not want father to find out went to Canada to join her sisters. gave up baby here. Opa never knew.

Last edited:
My great grandmother was from Italy. RIP beautiful lady who came to America on a boat. My other grandmother said we are Norwegian and German, she traced our family side to Germany at some point. My mom's mother said there is English, French and Scotish. And my mom recently took a test, apparently l also have some Jewish DNA. I feel blessed to be a melting pot. And on occasion people ask me if l am Swedish- go figure. Lol

Last edited:
In regards to the option I said above about a DNA test causing a family to break apart, here's an example. The following is a story video where that started as a set of "fun" Christmas gifts to try and help the person who wrote the story get closer to his Dad ended with the revelation of his/her mother's infidelity.
(For the record, the person reading this story on the video - who is not the person who bought the DNA tests, he just shares his own stories and other stories on YouTube - states that it's from Reddit, so take its validity with a pinch of salt):

My great grandmother was from Italy. RIP beautiful lady who came to America on a boat. My other grandmother said we are Norwegian and German, she traced our family side to Germany at some point. My mom's mother said there is English, French and Scotish. And my mom recently took a test, apparently l also have some Jewish DNA. I feel blessed to be a melting pot. And on occasion people ask me if l am Swedish- go figure. Lol
I am of Dutch descent, when my wife goes to the Dutch store, they all think she is Dutch.

I did one on my 18th birthday. I fine Ancestry to be interesting and knowledgeable. I like to look at my percentages and traits. They are acutely accurate.

I've thought about doing one of those DNA test things. Like I know I'm Puerto Rican on my mom's side and my dad's side is mostly Irish and English, but I think it'd be interesting to see what else my ancestry is.

When I did a DNA test, I discovered my biological family. It solved a few mysteries but wasn't life-shaking. Wife's DNA test showed some hanky panky by one of her grandmothers. Not a big deal.

I did another DNA test (very expensive one!) and it turned up two genes that increased my chances of having autism. Other than that, I ought to be healthy as a horse. I guess that I am for my age, except for my arthritis. But I now have my complete genome stored on my computer. It is hundreds of gigabytes.

I've thought about doing one of those DNA test things. Like I know I'm Puerto Rican on my mom's side and my dad's side is mostly Irish and English, but I think it'd be interesting to see what else my ancestry is.
People often ask me if I'm Puerto Rican or Brazilian. I would be interested to find out if I am either of those at all. I just know that one parent was from Argentina, also listing Venezuelan ancestry, and the other was of a mixed Portuguese background. I don't know exact percentages though.
Being adopted adds a whole other layer of complication to these things lol

But I have also had people asking me if I was ethnicities that I look nothing like (as far as I know.) A fair amount of people do accurately guess that I am Hispanic, but I've also been asked if I was Latvian, Lebanese, or Albanian. Those are very random guesses but I guess it also goes to show that obviously every ethnic group has a wide range of "looks." My girlfriend is from Poland, and she has curly red hair, so people always think she's Irish or Scottish.
I don't think I have ever met anyone who was Albanian, so I don't even have anything to go off of on whether I look like that or not. I think oftentimes people see that I have tan-ish skin and dark hair and assume some type of Baltic or Balkan ancestry.

I'm not offended in any way though, I honestly find it really fascinating. And I hope I have not said anything offensive here. I know this can be a dicey topic.

^ My brother gets pretty tan in the summer. When we went to the pool as kids, a lot of the other kids didn't believe we were related. He could probably pass for someone from a Middle Eastern country.

^ My brother gets pretty tan in the summer. When we went to the pool as kids, a lot of the other kids didn't believe we were related. He could probably pass for someone from a Middle Eastern country.
My granddaughter is now part Albanian, her mother has a darker complexion. Dutch German, English mix I guess she will confound people when she grows up.

The legal implications of handing your DNA over to a third party seem disturbing, to say the least. In this respect my curiosity goes only so far...apart from knowing part of my family genealogy traced back to the 1790s.

Last edited:
Did one a few weeks ago expect results next week looking to resolve some family mysteries. My father told me years ago his uncle was one of the richest men in the Netherlands two years ago the owner of Zeeman died was he my dads second cousin. strangely enough a week after he died he checked me out on LInkedin. dead guys do not normally use social media. Am I related to Peter, common interest in physics or Christopher common interest in math. Should get DNA and genealogy results. Also family lore all Zeemans are related, some thing about saving king from drowning.

Got My results interesting no surprises, the surprise was taken care of when my sister tested and found a cousin who my aunt had given up for adoption 65 years ago. Wife got a surprise she is like me Viking not German explains our blonde hair. Connected with cousin on moms side back in Holland good conversation lots of strokes in family told her get blood test done AB blood runs in family thickens blood make us susceptible to stroke. two of her aunts one my mother died in identical circumstances, the death notice about from my aunt from another cousin was so similar to my mothers death that I thought it was a prank both collapsed in kitchen died in hospital week later from stroke.
It was eerie I had my stroke two months after my older brother died from his stroke. I believe mine was caused from catching covid at the beginning of the pandemic. Down side of having AB blood. higher viscosity blood is a detriment. So obvious to me. Spent my career working with paint even took courses on paint flow parallels to me are so obvious. The way my mind works I can see connections others would miss. I doubt not to many doctors are familiar with flowing liquids mechanical mixtures not solutions.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom