• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DNA Test

I took a DNA test by my mom's request to discover if I'd gotten a gene variant for breast cancer that someone else in the family did.

I didn't, but it said I had several genes connected to autism, so I joked to my mother "Good news, I don't have breast cancer genes, bad news, I'm autistic." This was pre-diagnosis.

Little did I know...

So far Peiter is tenuous have to go and up the tree more work to be done , Jan is my dads cousin got rich black market during war.
Other puzzles include include how did B blood type enter the family, not a hint of Asian in the DNA.
Wife happy German but not German so even after eight generations in Canada she has absolutely has no connection what happened during the war.

Conversing with cousin on DNA site, first names seems to be the biggest issue. One of my aunts name is tiny when my parents talked about tiny I always thought they were talking about a guy with the nick name tiny.

Last edited:
Just found interesting feature pick a DNA relative put a few known cousins added a random Peter who shares DNA
my strongest match was with Peter 84 centa Morgans. Obviously the Peter I seek is long dead so no DNA. This Peter and I we share a great great grand parent sounds about right. he matches stronger than two first cousins on the data base they are 60 centa Morgans.

Last edited:
The way naming works first son is named after paternal grand father, based on every thing I see so far all the dots line up. More clues I share a lot of DNA with a distant Zeeman and also with a 2nd cousin on my grand mothers side
I suspect these two families merging is the source of the mystery of why no regression to the mean is happening when it comes to how bright my family is.

Last edited:
Noticing DNA does not care what surname we carry my DNA is mainly from two families One is my current surname and the other is my paternal grand mothers surname. Same with wife hers mates best with paternal grand mothers surname name nature does not care about naming conventions.

Last edited:
Having fun connecting with distant relatives many Americans have misspelt names probably do not know they have Dutch heritage. Connected with Australian lady 2nd cousin related to paternal grand mother we share a lot of DNA.
This is fun solving puzzle.

The legal implications of handing your DNA over to a third party seem disturbing, to say the least. In this respect my curiosity goes only so far...apart from knowing part of my family genealogy traced back to the 1790s.

Not worried. I have committed no crimes that DNA would be useful in solving. Actually, I have never committed any crimes greater than an infraction, so it wouldn't matter if they could.

But if they could use my DNA to discover that a cousin of mine was a murderer? That's fabulous! If they could use my DNA to help develop a drug? Wonderful! Further our understanding of the genetics of autism? Incredible!

OTOH, I might find a genetic condition that, with intervention, could be prevented from presenting, reduced in severity, or more quickly treated if it did show up. It discovered my biological family.

I suppose that if you have nasty things in your past, you wouldn't want to test your DNA. Or if you are afraid of what might be there.

I suppose there is a possibility that a potential employer could not hire you if they got your DNA test, but that isn't legal. If an employer engages in illegal genetic discrimination, that isn't an employee I'd want to work for.

I suppose there is a possibility that a potential employer could not hire you if they got your DNA test, but that isn't legal. If an employer engages in illegal genetic discrimination, that isn't an employee I'd want to work for.

I wish I had your sense of optimism, but I don't. Future possibilities outside- or above the law are what concern me.

Let's just hope art doesn't begin to imitate our future lives. When genetic discrimination is not only legal, but institutionalized. Something similar has already occurred in a dystopian past, and can potentially happen in a dystopian future. Great work of fiction, but it sends a chilling message.

Last edited:
I would be more worried about software colleting facial recognition and keeping track of your movements .

It's already happening. I was once on a project to investigate battery drain. I took some phones to a shop and had them specially soldered so we would be able to directly observe batteries. What I found was that the camera would activate every now and then, followed by a modem burst. This was all done without any log of hardware use at the OS layer. It was spyware built in by the OEM.

Having fun with some distant relative who live IN USA who had surname anglified, either letters added or missing
screwed up their search miss spelling of my great grand mothers maiden name. broke logjam for them. fourth and fifth cousins. They would have had no idea of their Dutch heritage. the one with the letter missing was obviously the border agent not understanding the accent losing letter and resulting in strange name Gass. Even nickel and dime puzzles are fun for a few minutes. two families related never in a hundred years would they every have seen the connection one an extra letter one missing letter. I only told the younger members of the two families as they would have gotten dead ended in only a few generations. One person was connected to me 4&5 cousin, no family tree
I guess stumped on first shot If they were not familiar with Dutch language would they even have guessed just add one letter to find distant relatives only them and immediate relatives would have shared surname.

Last edited:
Just looked up that surname no wonder the relative did a DNA test. The name would have sent them on a wild goose chase

One thing I am learning do not follow the name Nature does not care My wife and Both have dominant DNA from certain families that are not necessarily given surnames. Fortunately for Me Zeeman is one of mine and the other is also on the Paternal side. my wife's is also on the Paternal side. Both of use have 2nd cousins that share more DNA that you would expect from siblings.

Found a fourth cousin unfortunately looked at their family tree my grand mothers maiden name was nowhere to be found I guess some body from my family was banging their mother and now they have a puzzle probably why they did the test not look like dad or blood type made no sense tipped them off. Not my place to say any thing.

Both wife and I have some inbreeding in our families brothers and sisters marrying other brothers and sisters .from same two families. Hers is more local just north of Toronto. she is happy she married immigrants son.

Some one jus sent me their family tree on Zeeman family the connection is Pieter Zeeman's grand father father puzzle solved. I am not a direct descendent but a different branch what I suspected doing past research Looking forward to inform rest of family. They have been searching for years.

The Pieter Zeeman I searched for is my grand fathers great uncle. Won Nobel prize 1902, in physics Explains why I like physic and mathematics.

Now to figure out my grand mothers tree are we related to Pierre Verhulst the second half of the puzzle.

Suspect the Zeeman family connected with the Verhulst family via my grand parents.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom