• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dislike for modern movies, is it just me?

tlc

The Mackinac Bridge and U.P. is my happy place.
I'm posting this because it seems it's just me. My least favorite type of movies are these modern or semi-modern action/sci-fi movies. And it seems everywhere I go, it's all anybody watches anymore, it's all anybody even has in their collection. If I search on somebody's On Demand list, that's what easily 3/4 of it consists of. I can't stand them. Even worse on a big screen TV, but even the content I find totally irritating, about the same as being stuck in a social gathering with no way out. I enjoy a modern touching movie or love story but even those seem few and far between anymore.

The movies in my collection from the 80s, 90s, even some from the 2000s, seems like I'm the only one who has them. Seems like nobody else wants to watch that stuff anymore.

I'll watch an old school action movie. But it's just a movie. A film on a separate device that I am looking at. That's it. This new stuff feels like it's happening in my living room. It's too much. It's not a film anymore.

Same with these TV shows in HD, even video games. I need a distinct line from reality. This new stuff just is too realistic looking, I don't like it one bit.

Does anybody else feel this way? Am I just getting old?

Oh, you're definitely not alone here. A short while ago, someone gave me the Jurassic Park movies to watch, and while I thought it was a great concept, that scientists should try to bring back dinosaurs from the past with horrifying consequences, I didn't actually like the movies. I got as far as the second one, and then gave up. Especially the second one, it all seemed to be about dinosaurs chasing humans, the characters (as is the case in most such movies) were either too good to be true stereotype heroes or totally unrealistic or implausible. With a sprinkling of gratuitous gore thrown in, because that's what sells. Most science fiction movies are not science fiction movies at all, or are given that label because they take place in space, but without any real science involved, just good guys chaing the baddies, cops and robbers, the same themes all over again. Sci fi without the sci.

These big blockbuster movies are purely about making money, and all cooked to the same recipe, because that's what sells. Most movies are all about manipulating emotions, and are geared towards having the greatest emtional impact, which leads to them being over-acted and over-dramatized, exaggerated to the Nth degree. Personally, I much prefer movies or TV shows from the 60s,70s, 80s, which sought to explore new concepts and ideas, thought-provoking sci fi with some actual science in it rather than just goodies chasing baddies. Or, some obscure or low budget movie, a Wim Wenders or Herzog movie, for example, which explore concepts that leave the viewer with some food for thought.

I like to come away from a movie with something to think about, to have seen something from a new angle, or to have learned something. While I recognize that there is a lot of skill involved in the making of the set and special effects, it just isn't for me, because that's not what I seek in a movie or why I would want to watch a movie. Actually, I much prefer to read sci fi than watch its dramatized counterpart.

I'm into weird and cult type movies too. Or some of the older series like The X Files, Supernatural,
Millinium and psychological thrillers.
They're taking away Criminal Minds this year! I could watch that every night.

I don't care for the superhero and all the animated machines type movies.
Seems like that is what everyone is wanting this year.
The only superhero group I liked were the X-Men movies.

Not into romance movies. There is only one that I could watch over and over and it is an older one:
Somewhere in Time.

If it's a sequel to a franchise you love, then sure. You'll be instantly drawn to it no matter what. But I do think that they can often feel like 'in name only' follow-ups these days, by either not having the same cast, or even if they do bring back the original characters, the actors must need the pay check, so it feels like they left it X too many years too late. For example, there's another movie out this week about John Rambo, the Vietnam hero. The first three films all had Richard Crenna as Rambo's commanding officer, but he died in 2003, and then we got a sequel in 2008 that has a title, which confuses some people, because they just call it "Rambo" for some reason. It feels like some sequels are not neccesary. We will probably have this happening to all the franchises we love.

It's just how Hollywood is. The gaming industry is guilty of it too. Just look at that new "Project Resistance" trash.

Me neither. Especially ones like Transformers, which have merchandise associated with them and are basically just one big advertisement for that merchandise, to sell more of the toys, etc. Like one big long commercial, which you pay to see: I feel the same way about this as I do selling T-shirts with band names or logos splashed in big letter across the front. If you want me to advertise your product for free, then give me the T-shirt for free, then I might accept to do so. But otherwise don't ask me to pay to advertise your product. Same with these movies: I'm bombarded enough as it is with commercials and advertising as it is, so the last thing I'm going to want to do is pay for a movie that's basically been made to promote a product. It's like a perfect money-making machine and I'm not buying into it. No thanks. Ditto Disney - I don't like Disney at all, the epitome of commercialization.

Romantic comedies - again, all made to a set recipe. Girl meets boy. Girl and boy fall in love. Girl and boy split up. Girl chases boy/boy chases girl. They get back together and live happily ever after. Yawn.

Just another one of my unpopular opinions, I can only speak for myself here, of course.

Last edited:
I'm posting this because it seems it's just me. My least favorite type of movies are these modern or semi-modern action/sci-fi movies. And it seems everywhere I go, it's all anybody watches anymore, it's all anybody even has in their collection. If I search on somebody's On Demand list, that's what easily 3/4 of it consists of. I can't stand them. Even worse on a big screen TV, but even the content I find totally irritating, about the same as being stuck in a social gathering with no way out. I enjoy a modern touching movie or love story but even those seem few and far between anymore.

The movies in my collection from the 80s, 90s, even some from the 2000s, seems like I'm the only one who has them. Seems like nobody else wants to watch that stuff anymore.

I'll watch an old school action movie. But it's just a movie. A film on a separate device that I am looking at. That's it. This new stuff feels like it's happening in my living room. It's too much. It's not a film anymore.

Same with these TV shows in HD, even video games. I need a distinct line from reality. This new stuff just is too realistic looking, I don't like it one bit.

Does anybody else feel this way? Am I just getting old?
It Appears to be US movies made in the 1980s ,90s and two thousands.
In the UK it doesn’t seem to happen or Europe ,I don’t know what that means.
I remember somebody commenting on the movies made in the mid two thousands and they said they have a lot of money but not a lot of time ,I’ve just thought why did it change, and why are they all made in Canada ,why aren’t all non-sensationalist American movies made in America .The movies made by American directors in the UK ,seem to have the same content as the movies made in Canada.

Some parts are better, some parts are worse. I see realism and many modern techniques as powerful but massively misused utilities that are only part of the whole. I tend to like older western movies and currently rather anime.
STAR WARS IS NOT SCI FI DAMMIT
On another note, how does this seem?

@Streetwise There is a Canadian director by the name of Lowell Dean that makes Non PC movies (Not for the easily offended) That make fun of conspiracy theories and uses local actors from Saskatchewan. They are about the only newer movies I have seen that I enjoyed.
Lowell Dean - Wikipedia

Never been into movies anyway, but like dramas and currently obsessed with Korean dramas. There are a couple that are from this year and they are pretty good.

Agreed. I think theres a lack of emotion in the acting these days. Love the special effects. Also hate the cartoons. The animation is ugly. I miss the 90s cartoons.:(

I understand this one when it comes to video games. That utter obsession with graphics and such. The need to have ULTRA REALISM OMG. It's not that I cant appreciate a good looking game. Something like No Man's Sky for instance, that is an absolutely gorgeous game, and I love. But I dont understand the bizarre obsession with realism that people have with games, even those games in settings that arent realistic.

I grew up with the ancient games on the old Atari consoles and such. Pixels as big as cats! And I still like that. Retro games or just indie games, whatever, screw the graphics obsession. I just want a fun game. Just gimme my cat pixels and I'm happy. If I want freaking realism, I'll go outside.

Some parts are better, some parts are worse. I see realism and many modern techniques as powerful but massively misused utilities that are only part of the whole. I tend to like older western movies and currently rather anime.
STAR WARS IS NOT SCI FI DAMMIT
On another note, how does this seem?
It looks to me like the standard, unimaginative, generic "exploited people revolt" script, by a director more interested in making the next great Cinematic Art (whatever the hell that is) instead of telling a good story, set in space, and no regard for physical reality. In other words, a typical recent movie I am not the least bit interested in watching.

I don't dislike all modern movies - I dislike Hollywood blockbusters. I prefer indie films or low-budget films with unknown actors, or perhaps famous stars but some roles filled by unknowns. I'm 65. Ever since my early 20s, I have found that the movies you "HAVE TO" see, according to everybody ever, I am certain to dislike.

Generally these "blockbusters" or multiple sequels come out during the summer, and the higher quality indie films come out the rest of the year. So I let that be my guide.

I understand this one when it comes to video games. That utter obsession with graphics and such. The need to have ULTRA REALISM OMG. It's not that I cant appreciate a good looking game. Something like No Man's Sky for instance, that is an absolutely gorgeous game, and I love. But I dont understand the bizarre obsession with realism that people have with games, even those games in settings that arent realistic.

I grew up with the ancient games on the old Atari consoles and such. Pixels as big as cats! And I still like that. Retro games or just indie games, whatever, screw the graphics obsession. I just want a fun game. Just gimme my cat pixels and I'm happy. If I want freaking realism, I'll go outside.
If I understand you correctly, I agree. Most games in the last 10 years seem to focus on realistic graphics and are more about how fast you can work your trigger finger than thinking or having fun. Minecraft is decidedly not realistic, but is FUN. I remember the first two Monkey Island games were not realistic, but FUN, then the third came out, they tried for more realism, and it stopped being fun. The Kings Quest games where you had to figure out clever puzzles (use ICEBERG lettuce to cool boiling water) were entertaining. The games in the early days of computing, when they didn't have high graphics to distract, had to focus on being entertaining. I think maybe they are using realism to hide the fact they are too lazy to think up new ideas for good games, or are trying to show off what great programmers they are.

I watch movies because I want to be moved.
If it doesn't move me it isn't a movie for me. :(

I tend to like Asian movies these days. I just wish I got to see more of them.
I want to be sobbing and snorting everywhere, surrounded by tear-soaked tissues by the end of the movie, even when I've seen it a few times before. There's not many movies that can do that to me. Most that can are Asian. (Japanese or Korean)
There is also H.T.T.Y.D.
I don't think I can name another mainstream western world film that I cry to. I am trying to remember one, but.. nope.

But some of the latex era special effects in not scary horrors are fun to watch just to admire creative ideas and techniques with rubber and ketchup. :D

I can't empathise with the characters in mainstream movies. Maybe it's my autism but I could empathise a little with dangerously deranged Jeffrey from Frankenhooker! :confused:

Can't stand Transformers, it's completely illogical they are intergalactic travelling robots with no long range nuclear weapons so they have to just have a fist fight.
That's another thing. No matter what weapons the head baddie and head goodie have at their command, they always descend to having a fist fight. :rolleyes: Every. Single. Movie.

Superheroes, Gods, Immortals, Sorcerors, Magical Unicorns.. They just make a mockery of any plot. There's zero suspense because there's no consequences, no cause and effect, no peril. :(

Maybe thats the problem. Cant get enough of the special effects though. As for video games and realism. I dont disagree that they are using the visuals as an excuse for lazy ness. Microsoft newest consles are proof of that. Lot of power. No games. The actual game makers arent any better. Constantly shipping out broken or unfinished games.:mad:

I'm into weird and cult type movies too. Or some of the older series like The X Files, Supernatural,
Millinium and psychological thrillers.
They're taking away Criminal Minds this year! I could watch that every night.

Seems like that is what everyone is wanting this year.
The only superhero group I liked were the X-Men movies.

Not into romance movies. There is only one that I could watch over and over and it is an older one:
Somewhere in Time.

Oh no! They are canceling Criminal Minds? I an not to much into fiction, but I do like cop shows and Criminal Minds is my favorite.

Dont worry. I am 100% with you! I am a visual artist (more in design/ webdesign/ photography) , and I cannot see these movies anymore. All done with CGI. Sorry, that is not cinema. Movies created a very special visual language. That language was destroyed when CGI-effects became more and more cheap. Additionally cutting movies in the style of video clips was very bad for movies as an art.

Thanks to god, there are many independent directors that are not so much into the CGI-thing. e. g. Jim Jarmus in US or Kaurismäki in Europe. Aki Kaurismäki - Wikipedia Maybe you should look for this kind of movies. (?)

And yesterday I saw "Once upon a time in Hollywood". It was the first movie of Quentin Tarantino after "Pulp Fiction" that I liked. No computer generated effects, no shaking camera, no grazy cuttings. So even Hollywood movies can be interesting... ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom