• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dislike for modern movies, is it just me?

Hollywood has latched onto the notion that recycling old scripts produces relatively predictable revenue streams. Good for the industry, bad for the art of film and all who love going to the movies.

So much like music, I find myself more often than not enjoying films from an earlier era.

Oh no! They are canceling Criminal Minds? I an not to much into fiction, but I do like cop shows and Criminal Minds is my favorite.

The final season 15 of Criminal Minds is supposed to debut either late 2019 or 2020. I don't think CBS has decided on a final date yet. But 15 seasons, whew...that will make for a whole lot of syndicated reruns.

Superheroes, Gods, Immortals, Sorcerors, Magical Unicorns.. They just make a mockery of any plot. There's zero suspense because there's no consequences, no cause and effect, no peril. :(

Most science fiction movies are not science fiction movies at all, or are given that label because they take place in space, but without any real science involved, just good guys chaing the baddies, cops and robbers, the same themes all over again. Sci fi without the sci.

I like to come away from a movie with something to think about, to have seen something from a new angle, or to have learned something. While I recognize that there is a lot of skill involved in the making of the set and special effects, it just isn't for me, because that's not what I seek in a movie or why I would want to watch a movie.

That's pretty much it. I just call it sci-fi because I don't know what else to call it. Whether it's superheroes, characters made of steel, apocalypse or government coverups or other political business of good guys vs bad guys... no thanks. They're all the same to me. I walk away frazzled, irritated, and lost. Whatever happened to simple feel good movies? I thought most people watched movies to escape hectic life, or maybe they only used to.

I like when a movie leaves me with something to think about for a long time. The same reason I can't stand plain blood and guts horror movies, they are gross but empty. I like psychological thrillers that aren't so gory but leave you thinking about what really happened.

Romantic comedies - again, all made to a set recipe. Girl meets boy. Girl and boy fall in love. Girl and boy split up. Girl chases boy/boy chases girl. They get back together and live happily ever after. Yawn.

I like many romantic comedies and I realize life rarely if ever happens that way, but it does at least take me out and make me feel good for a long time. They're not realistic. But I feel how you do about the Christmas ones, when Hallmark or whatever it is shows all Christmas movies all the time for months. "all I want for Christmas is for mommy and daddy to get back together...." nope that's where I draw the line.

I understand this one when it comes to video games. That utter obsession with graphics and such. The need to have ULTRA REALISM OMG. It's not that I cant appreciate a good looking game. Something like No Man's Sky for instance, that is an absolutely gorgeous game, and I love. But I dont understand the bizarre obsession with realism that people have with games, even those games in settings that arent realistic.

I grew up with the ancient games on the old Atari consoles and such. Pixels as big as cats! And I still like that. Retro games or just indie games, whatever, screw the graphics obsession. I just want a fun game. Just gimme my cat pixels and I'm happy. If I want freaking realism, I'll go outside.

I had a Coleco Vision, then an original NES. I liked all the Coleco games (essentially an Atari, mine would also play Atari cartridges). The NES was ok too, but that's as far as I would have gone. Super NES was already too realistic for me.

I even used to love Beavis and Butthead because they were frustrated teenagers where the worst word they said was probably "butt", and were only cartoons done with low end animation. Had they been today's ultra realistic CGI animation it would just look plain sad IMO and I couldn't watch it.

That's pretty much it. I just call it sci-fi because I don't know what else to call it. Whether it's superheroes, characters made of steel, apocalypse or government coverups or other political business of good guys vs bad guys... no thanks. They're all the same to me. I walk away frazzled, irritated, and lost. Whatever happened to simple feel good movies? I thought most people watched movies to escape hectic life, or maybe they only used to.
Most of these are designed to produce a feeling of fear or suspense, an adrenalin rush, but have weak plots, implausible characters and are superficial in nature.

I have a slightly different problem when it comes to movies, shows or documentaries... some special effects and editing techiques really bother me. These high impact, "power documetaries" (my work for them) which have loud, dramatic background music, flashes (a bit like photography flash), fast-changing frames and sound effects, ones that sound like static or steel on steel... I can't watch these. They are painful to watch. A lot of the History Channel's documentaries tend to be like that. Or ones where they talk non-stop and don't give you a break from the talking. If I'm watching a documentary, I'm interested in the information, I don't need this loud, dramatic music, or flashes. Why can't they just show the scene as it is, why do they have to ruin the documentary with these awful special effects?

I do not know exactly why old movies often are more interesting then new ones. But maybe it is because in the 50ies, 60ies, 70ies... it was more or less acceptes that directors and producers were freaks or maniacs. Nowadays everybody has to behave well, everybody has to be more or less without strange interests or behaviors. If he has, he will be victim of a shitstorm on twitter. (Sorry, I hope shitstorm is the right word in englisch. In german it is used for spontanous mass-accusation in social media.)

OK, but if producers, actors and directors are nice and "normal" the movies are boring. I dont know, if my idea makes sense, but I wanted to post it, so we can discuss it here. ;)

It seems like all movies are the same now. Plus, I'm very sensitive to violence and sexual content, so the only thing I can really watch any more are children's movies.

It seems like all movies are the same now. Plus, I'm very sensitive to violence and sexual content, so the only thing I can really watch any more are children's movies.

I very rarely watch mainstream movies/TV, but when I do I always feel so shocked by how graphic the sex and violence in them is now. It’s so cheap and trashy.

New Threads

Top Bottom