• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

BumbleBee

A few months back I met with a psychologist to help me cope with social anxiety in hopes of overcoming my social issues so I could lead a normal life.

After 45 minutes of what seemed to be small talk and getting to know one another - something I generally can't do and very rarely participate in - but for some reason this time, with this psychologist, it was different; and then she explained why.

I will never forget her words: "You don't have social anxiety (referring to the disorder but not saying social issues weren't causing extreme anxiety). You have Asperger's. You don't need to be fixed because there is nothing wrong with you. You just need to understand and learn about yourself. You don't need to change anything. You are fine just the way you are."

She quickly found words that were always lost on me when it came to explaining the intricacies of my mind and how it works. She spoke my language in a way no one I have ever met has and when I pointed that out she informed me she also was diagnosed with Aspergers.

Those words changed my understanding of myself and even months later I am still in the process of coming to terms with it, awaiting a more formal and thorough diagnosis, and looking back on my entire life (I'm 30 years old) with a new and deeper understanding of all the things I could never grasp.

Given challenges of several misdiagnoses, medications that caused me to need to be admitted to hospital more than once, unanswered questions, history of abuse, a failed marriage, and absolutely no sense self or where I belong, this has not been an easy process. I experience severe delays in identifying and processing emotions, inability to communicate what I'm feeling and experiencing which has brought me here.

I am very isolated and a mother to an 8 year old who is also on the spectrum.

I'm hoping that by reaching out for support from people that understand, it will help me get through this.

Nice to meet all of you.

A few months back I met with a psychologist to help me cope with social anxiety in hopes of overcoming my social issues so I could lead a normal life.

After 45 minutes of what seemed to be small talk and getting to know one another - something I generally can't do and very rarely participate in - but for some reason this time, with this psychologist, it was different; and then she explained why.

I will never forget her words: "You don't have social anxiety (referring to the disorder but not saying social issues weren't causing extreme anxiety). You have Asperger's. You don't need to be fixed because there is nothing wrong with you. You just need to understand and learn about yourself. You don't need to change anything. You are fine just the way you are."

She quickly found words that were always lost on me when it came to explaining the intricacies of my mind and how it works. She spoke my language in a way no one I have ever met has and when I pointed that out she informed me she also was diagnosed with Aspergers.

Those words changed my understanding of myself and even months later I am still in the process of coming to terms with it, awaiting a more formal and thorough diagnosis, and looking back on my entire life (I'm 30 years old) with a new and deeper understanding of all the things I could never grasp.

Given challenges of several misdiagnoses, medications that caused me to need to be admitted to hospital more than once, unanswered questions, history of abuse, a failed marriage, and absolutely no sense self or where I belong, this has not been an easy process. I experience severe delays in identifying and processing emotions, inability to communicate what I'm feeling and experiencing which has brought me here.

I am very isolated and a mother to an 8 year old who is also on the spectrum.

I'm hoping that by reaching out for support from people that understand, it will help me get through this.

Nice to meet all of you.
Hi and welcome! You're new and have already helped me in a BIG way. I'm so tired of people telling me to ,"Fix yourself". There's absolutely nothing wrong with us aspies and auties, but was always made to feel inferior. Before I discovered AC, I was lost and confused about myself and even believed the ridicule I suffered. You're reaching out for support in the right place. Welcome aboard!

Hi and welcome! You're new and have already helped me in a BIG way. I'm so tired of people telling me to ,"Fix yourself". There's absolutely nothing wrong with us aspies and auties, but was always made to feel inferior. Before I discovered AC, I was lost and confused about myself and even believed the ridicule I suffered. You're reaching out for support in the right place. Welcome aboard!

Thank you for such a warm welcome and I'm glad I could help. I had believed a lot of it for a long time too and developed an awful guilt complex and extremely low self esteem as a result. You are not alone in that I can assure you.

Thanks again!

Welcome!!! Now that you've "discovered us," you can learn more about being on the spectrum. The folks here touch all points, so browse around, pick some brains, and make some new friends along the way.

I'm really grateful for forums like this. I've noticed a vast array of topics discussed and it's all very useful information in terms of better helping me understand and relate to others in a way I haven't been able to before.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Glad you know as well :)

Did you have any idea before hand or did it come as a surprise as well?

Complete and total surprise. However, it does seem to hold the key to my incredible crushing exhaustion, so this bit of self-realization may have saved my life :)

I read The Journal of Best Practices about a man who was diagnosed as an adult, and his sensory issues about clothing were almost exactly like mine. But it wasn't until someone mentioned my cat advice reminded her of the autism students she taught that I grew curious and took the Aspie Quiz.

And then there was no doubt in my mind.

It is considered a curse of midlife to reconsider one's entire experience thus far. My diagnosis (soon to be official) is actually an incredible blessing.

Welcome aboard:)

full

New Threads

Top Bottom