• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Disability Benefits

Justin Scarpulla

I am not exactly sure where this forum is based , but if anybody is in the United States maybe you can help me answer this question. I have tried and failed countless times to get a job for the past 8 months , and I have basically already given up on finding another one. I tried to do my own research, but every website I go to just makes it more confusing. Some sites say that I should apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) , while others say that I shouldn't because Autism isn't specifically listed in the official List of Impairments , and visiting the official website made it even more confusing. I am just wondering , I don't think I'm even capable of keeping let alone getting a job , is there any type of benefit I can receive or any way that I can put money in my pocket ?

I'm in the US, in California. I get SSI. I think that SSDI is the one you have to pay into, so you may look in to SSI instead. It took me about a year and a half, which is apparently fast. Denied once before I was approved. The place that did my assessment was able to work on my behalf to help me get SSI. In California they have regional canters, where I'm at is the redwood coast regional centers. They specialize in developmental disorders. Don't know what might be available where you're at, but I think they require a diagnosis of some kind for SSI.

I'm in the US, in California. I get SSI. I think that SSDI is the one you have to pay into, so you may look in to SSI instead. It took me about a year and a half, which is apparently fast. Denied once before I was approved. The place that did my assessment was able to work on my behalf to help me get SSI. In California they have regional canters, where I'm at is the redwood coast regional centers. They specialize in developmental disorders. Don't know what might be available where you're at, but I think they require a diagnosis of some kind for SSI.
That is very good information. If I may ask, how did you get denied, then approved? Did something about your diagnosis change?

That is very good information. If I may ask, how did you get denied, then approved? Did something about your diagnosis change?
A disability attorney can walk you through that.

Supplemental Security Insurance [SSI] is for those who have not yet paid into Social Security through employment.
Social Security Disability Insurance [SSDI] is for those who have so paid a certain minimum.
(Your attorney will be able to determine which one applies to you.)

Last edited:
I am not exactly sure where this forum is based , but if anybody is in the United States maybe you can help me answer this question. I have tried and failed countless times to get a job for the past 8 months , and I have basically already given up on finding another one. I tried to do my own research, but every website I go to just makes it more confusing. Some sites say that I should apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) , while others say that I shouldn't because Autism isn't specifically listed in the official List of Impairments , and visiting the official website made it even more confusing. I am just wondering , I don't think I'm even capable of keeping let alone getting a job , is there any type of benefit I can receive or any way that I can put money in my pocket ?
I'm UK just popped in to wish you luck in finding an income be it work or welfare.

A disability attorney can walk you through that.

Supplemental Security Insurance [SSI] is for those who have not yet paid into Social Security through employment.
Social Security Disability Insurance [SSDI] is for those who have so paid a certain minimum.
(Your attorney will be able to determine which one applies to you.)
Yeah I would love to get an attorney to help me out, except I can't afford it, and I don't like interacting with people anyways

I know about getting SSI, because of my son. You will not get SSI unless you have documents stating what you have. My son had U.C., one of the worst cases and tons of medications and doctor's written forms stating his ailments and they still denied my son 2 times, finally he did get on Disability but they didn't give him any back pay which was about 2 or 3 years it took, so the lawyer took it back to court and they denied him, plus told him the 8 months he did get disability he would have to pay it all back...so it went to court again and he was granted disability again but they started taking out what he had to pay back which they weren't supposed too, so for 3 months they took out $200 which finally they stopped it but they never pay you back what they took out. Also the disability lawyer doesn't ask for any amount up front (you will need him) his fees are 10 or 20% of the back pay you get. It takes about a year to get it so he takes 10 or 20% of that years back pay you are granted. IF you get nothing you pay nothing. Also you may have to pay for the fee to transfer your medical files to him.

I know about getting SSI, because of my son. You will not get SSI unless you have documents stating what you have. My son had U.C., one of the worst cases and tons of medications and doctor's written forms stating his ailments and they still denied my son 2 times, finally he did get on Disability but they didn't give him any back pay which was about 2 or 3 years it took, so the lawyer took it back to court and they denied him, plus told him the 8 months he did get disability he would have to pay it all back...so it went to court again and he was granted disability again but they started taking out what he had to pay back which they weren't supposed too, so for 3 months they took out $200 which finally they stopped it but they never pay you back what they took out. Also the disability lawyer doesn't ask for any amount up front (you will need him) his fees are 10 or 20% of the back pay you get. It takes about a year to get it so he takes 10 or 20% of that years back pay you are granted. IF you get nothing you pay nothing. Also you may have to pay for the fee to transfer your medical files to him.
Wow that seems like a lot. It seems too much to be actually practical, with the way my finances are going currently by the time it even takes me to get approved (if I even do) I will probably be broke by then. So unfortunate :(

Wow that seems like a lot. It seems too much to be actually practical, with the way my finances are going currently by the time it even takes me to get approved (if I even do) I will probably be broke by then. So unfortunate :(
Your attorney will do all of the heavy lifting, and not charge you any money that you don't have. S/he will only contact you if you have to sign a paper. (I didn't even have to appear in court.)

It really is that simple and painless. If they don't get you SS[D]I, you don't pay.

Your attorney will do all of the heavy lifting, and not charge you any money that you don't have. S/he will only contact you if you have to sign a paper. (I didn't even have to appear in court.)

It really is that simple and painless. If they don't get you SS[D]I, you don't pay.
Oh so it seems like you kinda need an attorney to move forward with this process. Duly noted , I hope they don't have an up front rate or payment or anything.

There is no harm in applying. Just make sure you have all your ducks in a row, including the diagnosis. The worst they can do is turn you down. There are attorneys that specialize in that sort of thing.

You can win a SSDI case with autism but it could be a long dog fight,so prepare for 3-5 years of living on less than 800$ per month.Do you have a parent or relative you can live with while your case is litigated.

Talk with an attorney who will only take payment if you win although I won without a lawyer.

I won a a SSDI case so PM me if you have any question

Also they say that you can't have worked at all for those months you are waiting for disability and I think it is 3 months before you apply. They don't make it easy for people to get disability because who could wait sometimes years without any income. With my son the only thing that saved him was that he lived with us and we took care of all of his expenses. His brother paid for his cell phone bill for 2 years, and of course we paid for food and medicines and things he needed. IT has cost us a small fortune out of our pockets to get him on disability. I don't know how people can do it other than the older people may have had a 401K or something they could use like a saving until that time. The one thing we knew is he couldn't work, between all his health issues and hospital stays and his Asperger's it did make it impossible for him to hold any kind of a job. I have 5 kids (adults now) and they all worked and helped out his brother while he waited and waited on his SSI. I have heard that if you have a house or anywhere you will be evicted and you can't work they will put you ahead and it will take less time to get it. BUT like someone said on here usually you are automatically turned down the first time and maybe even the second time. (I personally think they do that so that you have no other choice than to try and get work because you can't live with no income at all and then once you do work they can turn you down because you are working)

On another track, perhaps helpful, Vocational Rehabilitation services, a federal program, can help with accommodations and training. They will pay for schooling if you desire it, and while they don't put money in your pocket, they do offer tools to help you become gainfully employed, and more or less on your terms. They have a much shorter waitlist.

Maybe it helps. I'm going through this program a second time because I didn't know about ASD the first time around. They paid for a degree then, they'll pay for what I need now. Also provided therapy that has helped me tremendously thus far. Perhaps something to look into while you wait for SSI?

If you can prove that it's affecting your ability to get and maintain a job over a long period of time and you have a mental health worker certify it, you will get SSI or SSD. It might take a while though. They usually deny you a few times initially. But that's okay. Get the application in as soon as possible, because when they eventually approve you, they will give you backpay for every month since you applied that they didn't give you benefits. Many people end up with tens of thousands of dollars in backpay.

New Threads

Top Bottom