• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Difficulties you had as a kid that might be due to your ASD

This is great!!
A summer baby starting school aged four, I was unprepared & unequipped to deal with the truly tyrannical new-intake teacher. I got writing help at home but my parents' looped handwriting was not the prescribed Marian Richardson school so my playtime detentions were spent copying nursery rhymes.

I have heard from a UK friend you have to start school at four and the parents have no choice to delay you if you aren't ready. Is that correct?

All those meds. :eek: Did they help at all?

I haven't thought for years, but I could not tie shoes either.
In the 50s when I was a kid there was no AS diagnoses. My folks that could not accept that some things came to me easily, walking and talking, and some things were confusing to me like tying shoes. The folks thought I was not trying.

I imagine that's worse than being considered dumb as a doormat.

I think NT patents think their kids are supposed to be at least reflections of themselves and then try by various means to improve the kids so they don't make the same mistakes the parents made.
Society as a whole is not a freedom and acceptance game, it is all about conformity and control.

And money.

I have met few Asper's that enjoy being controlled, and NTs for that matter. NTs though do conform more to the cultural memes than us because they need to fit into the herd. Asper's abhor being herded an prefer our own thought and paths.
I think that a general rule of nature is that hunters must be more individualistic then their prey. So why even bother trying to to be one of the flock when it is our bliss to run free?

Yeah, the whole 'What would society think?' thing. :rolleyes: This could be a topic for another thread!

That was a long time ago, but I remember a lot of difficulties. I think the thing that I remember the most was loneliness and isolation. However, the older I got, the better my life was.

I imagine the persistent isolation, exclusion and feeling of not belonging, otherness, constant invalidation of our beliefs and feelings since we're 'inferior' and general incomprehension of the illogical NT world is possibly the only thing consistent with everyone on the spectrum. I'm glad your life is better.

I have heard from a UK friend you have to start school at four and the parents have no choice to delay you if you aren't ready. Is that correct?

As far as I know, state schooling has that age dictate still in England, yes & also kids are being tested at age five on maths / language etc. These national SAT's tests are not applied in Wales & idk about Scotland or N Ireland

All those meds. :eek: Did they help at all?

The thinking behind the valium was that my migraine required sedation & the Triptozol was prescribed for my anxiety & depression which is not uncommon, being co mordant to undiagnosed AS.

It was fairly counter productive; it made me into a sleepy zombie at school. I had my med notes from 0-15yrs copied a couple years ago & they record "A lot of psychological overlay in this girl" at that time.

I had problems tying my shoes & also with general left & right distinction; I remember standing in the back yard trying to work out how something was left when I faced north but right when I faced south lol I got my Copernican revelation at some point :)

same here there are tones of vegetables I still cant stand eating

Yes! Same problem with almost al vegetables here. And I still don't get why. Can't eat sea food either, and not too keen on meat these days though I was a popular date in my single 30'ies because I preferred a steak with fries to a salad. But mostly the selective eating has been a social handicap.

I always had problems with making or keeping eye contact,I struggle with tying my shoe laces and couldn't ride a bike,I always had strong interests and hobbies and remember going through a huge mermaid phase when the little mermaid came out,I struggled at school and people thought I was slow,was always easily anxious and when I cried I didn't stop for hours,I also got easily distracted if I was bored and was and is still a big daydreamer,I also have this habit of walking on my toes and I still do it now sometimes,also a lot of my interests I had as a kid like comics and doll collecting I still do today.

New Threads

Top Bottom