• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Different to others behaviour of bereavement *trigger warning

Ghostinthemachine

Hello like many of us I hsve experienced loss of loved ones I have cared for and whilst I have genuinely been close to them when alive when they passed I have felt nothing and been surprised that my response isn't like others around the loved one whom seem to be very traumatised by loss and bereavement.whilst I recognise that this maybe due to my asd I am wondering is this response common for others whom are asd or is it just me?I won't comment further but I would appreciate any feedback.

I hope this thread doesn't cause anyone any distress as this is not intended

We are all different, some might feel more or less than others - when I lost my father, I was really sad - also sad, but less when as my grandparents died.

I still mourn my grandmother's passing, but l will have no feelings if my mother or brother leave this earth. They have never been a family to me.

I was present at my wife's death and made arrangements for her funeral, etc. Her passing was very sudden, though she had been disabled for some time. I didn't feel anything till months later when it hit me totally offguard.

Hello like many of us I hsve experienced loss of loved ones I have cared for and whilst I have genuinely been close to them when alive when they passed I have felt nothing and been surprised that my response isn't like others around the loved one whom seem to be very traumatised by loss and bereavement.whilst I recognise that this maybe due to my asd I am wondering is this response common for others whom are asd or is it just me?I won't comment further but I would appreciate any feedback.

Yes. I'm not sure if it is a processing error or delay from the ASD, or perhaps a consequence of alexithymia.

Examples:
1. I was 2 when my 7-week old brother died of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Now, some 55 years later, I can describe the ambulance, the emergency medical response team, the local sheriff, the chaos in the house, my grandparents coming over, etc. However, I never processed his death until I was about 6 years old. A friend of mine were playing under a picnic table in his back yard, covered it up with blankets to make a "fort" to get out of the hot summer sun, we had the crayons out coloring in our coloring books. He went inside, his mother calling him in for lunch. I stayed under the picnic table, then for some reason, it hit me out of nowhere. My brother had died, and I can remember just sobbing under that table alone.
2. Fast forward to my 40's. My other little brother died. Colon cancer at the age of 36, leaving behind a young wife and two little boys. I spent the day with my family and him the night before he died. Again, not really processing what was happening at an emotional level. We came back to the hospital early the next morning after he died. His wife grieving loudly. To this day, I am confused as to whether I was responding to her grief (mirror neurons) or my own. I don't know, but I was crying.
3. A best friend of mine from childhood, we were both married with children at the time, but he and his 3 young boys were in his pickup truck on the way to the airport when someone slammed on their brakes in front of him, he put on his brakes, and a semi-tractor-trailer hit the truck from behind, ejecting 2 of the kids onto the pavement, both dead. So, I am at the funeral, sitting in the church, listening to the eulogies for these kids, and I am crying my eyes out. Now, I never met these kids, but I obviously knew the family and they were grieving. Again, I think it was mirror neurons, not my own grief.
4. My father passed away in the night about 4 years ago. Now, my father and I had a respect-dislike relationship. It wasn't the best. In his own way, I think he loved me, but was Stoic enough not to say it or show it. At any rate, my little sister calls me on the phone just as I am getting ready to pull out of the driveway to go to work. Honestly, I sort of went numb, and didn't know what to say to her. Mom didn't want any attention from me or anyone else for that matter. I called her about a week later, we tried to talk about things, but evidently what I was saying or the way I was saying it wasn't what she wanted to hear, and she hung up on me suddenly. It wasn't like she seemed upset with me, I perhaps didn't seem like I was processing things correctly in her mind, and didn't want to carry on with the conversation. At any rate, there wasn't a funeral and I haven't spoken with her since, nor my sister, and I have yet to shed a tear.

So, I am not sure what to think about any of this. I know that I exhibit fully functioning mirror neurons. I can cry watching a movie scene, at a funeral, and respond appropriately to other people's grief. However, I don't seem to have the ability to process my own for some reason.

I haven't been diagnosed with ASD still waiting on a referral.

When my mum passed in June 22 I felt I was dealing with the grieving process up until Christmas of that year when I was walking the dog and all thinking of my mum suddenly stopped.

It was like my brain was trying to sabotage me into not thinking and reflecting about her.

It got the point I was slapping myself on my head when any thought of my mother came into my head, this acted as a way for me simply not to think about her.

I am still very much in denial and even writing this is extremely difficult. This, amongst other issues had prompted me to seek help and guidance regarding my mental health and possible ASD.

Hello like many of us I hsve experienced loss of loved ones I have cared for and whilst I have genuinely been close to them when alive when they passed I have felt nothing....
I'm like this too. There's a few other threads where I've mentioned the same things before, here's a couple:

Numbness and denial is part of it.
Everyone grieves different.
You can feel it in your heart.
Or maybe it takes time to process it or you go.numb for a while.
When I was younger I felt the same thing. I did not initially grieve my grandparents or aunt but occasionally I still felt it. Just on occasions
I did really miss my grandma though and still feel it to this day. And was always looking forward to seeing her again.
I not only missed her but i also missed going to visit her, her house, the playground near. I often thought if she lived quite a longer I could have stayed on her house if I needed to study or work in Melbourne but not sure.
I do count the days until i see my grandparents and aunt again.
My aunt died very quickly and suddenly.
And I did feel Numbness but I did grieve her in my own way.
I stayed at her house quite a few times in my youth.

I have no idea how I process grief, death, and departures. To be honest, I don't think I've ever grasped their real, total, and profound meaning—the kind that drives people to madness and despair. I don't believe in a better place; I have no hope for life after death. I believe everything has a beginning and thus an end, but beginnings and endings are relative. The end of one thing marks the start of another, so nothing truly ceases to exist; it simply changes form, moves beyond our patterns, and fades from our view. Perhaps it's this shifting of patterns that scares us?

I no longer give meaning to things; I just rationalize them. Motivation serves as my reason to move forward without overly affecting my mind and rationale. Trying to make sense of it all drives one insane. Sense is too relative, not universal, and involves too many variables; it's chaos. What makes sense to me may not to you, and vice versa—all based on a myriad of patterns, personal convictions, beliefs, life experiences, and so on. Motivation, on the other hand, is more linear, grounded in more concrete and less intricate concepts than sense. This is the thinking I normally base myself on.

I feel sorry when someone dies, but it never seems to affect me as much as it does others (if one can compare grief). I lost my father to cancer, and it was tough, not for his death but for related events. It may sound insensitive, but when I think of my cat, who lived for 21 years, my heart tightens, and I cry every time. If I think of my father, no tears come.

My mother left my continent without looking back or worrying about me, and I can't say how I took it. Yet, I can't read heartbreaking news of wars, injustices, mistreatment, or other harsh things because it hurts too much—it's as if they stick to me. The same goes for violent and horror films; I can't watch them because I'm not capable.

I've severed ties with my entire family, and I don't miss anyone, and I believe it's mutual. Before the diagnosis, I often felt obligated to feel a certain way (or perhaps simulate it) that others expected from me. It's stressful because it always seems like others have different emotions or intensities, and it's like I'm never on the same wavelength.

I have no idea how I process grief, death, and departures. To be honest, I don't think I've ever grasped their real, total, and profound meaning—the kind that drives people to madness and despair. I don't believe in a better place; I have no hope for life after death. I believe everything has a beginning and thus an end, but beginnings and endings are relative. The end of one thing marks the start of another, so nothing truly ceases to exist; it simply changes form, moves beyond our patterns, and fades from our view. Perhaps it's this shifting of patterns that scares us?

I no longer give meaning to things; I just rationalize them. Motivation serves as my reason to move forward without overly affecting my mind and rationale. Trying to make sense of it all drives one insane. Sense is too relative, not universal, and involves too many variables; it's chaos. What makes sense to me may not to you, and vice versa—all based on a myriad of patterns, personal convictions, beliefs, life experiences, and so on. Motivation, on the other hand, is more linear, grounded in more concrete and less intricate concepts than sense. This is the thinking I normally base myself on.

I feel sorry when someone dies, but it never seems to affect me as much as it does others (if one can compare grief). I lost my father to cancer, and it was tough, not for his death but for related events. It may sound insensitive, but when I think of my cat, who lived for 21 years, my heart tightens, and I cry every time. If I think of my father, no tears come.

My mother left my continent without looking back or worrying about me, and I can't say how I took it. Yet, I can't read heartbreaking news of wars, injustices, mistreatment, or other harsh things because it hurts too much—it's as if they stick to me. The same goes for violent and horror films; I can't watch them because I'm not capable.

I've severed ties with my entire family, and I don't miss anyone, and I believe it's mutual. Before the diagnosis, I often felt obligated to feel a certain way (or perhaps simulate it) that others expected from me. It's stressful because it always seems like others have different emotions or intensities, and it's like I'm never on the same wavelength.
Thank you for your openness you have eloquently put into words exactly how it is for me too,I have very similar experiences

Grief is an alien concept to me. I actually watched as my father breathed his last breath and it did not really upset or overwhelm me. It was more of a numbing experience. I loathe the concept of a funeral (sad faces, black attire, etc.). I much prefer the idea of a wake to say goodbye. Life leads to death and, as such, a departure is like waving someone off on a trip into the unknown. It is hard for me to connect on any level.

Maybe it is all part of the fact that I have never figured out what love is. It is the same with defining happiness. They are ephemeral concepts that seemingly elude me when all is said and done.

I believe every ending is just a new beginning
But I do love my family and want to see then again after I pass.

Grief is an alien concept to me. I actually watched as my father breathed his last breath and it did not really upset or overwhelm me. It was more of a numbing experience. I loathe the concept of a funeral (sad faces, black attire, etc.). I much prefer the idea of a wake to say goodbye. Life leads to death and, as such, a departure is like waving someone off on a trip into the unknown. It is hard for me to connect on any level.

Maybe it is all part of the fact that I have never figured out what love is. It is the same with defining happiness. They are ephemeral concepts that seemingly elude me when all is said and done.
Love is giving and patience...it is often hard to know how to receive it back.
People have different tolerate levels of how much they can endure with their patience of others
I like funerals to be a celebration but i know people get sad too so essentially if i died and they made it very sombre that is ok too.
Also if i died I would want my family to move on and support each other and find solace and peace. Sometimes it is easier to let someone go then see them sick for long periods ot time.
I think death is a a sad and beautiful transition and a passage of life.
I think it needs to be handled delicately.
It is very painful and hard no matter how you see it. But people can be treated with care.

When one of my pets die, I'm all tears and wailing, and slobbering.

When a family member, friend or such dies, I get stunned into some sort of unemotional default mode loop for a couple months, until the dam breaks and I drop into the black pit. It was this reaction that triggered my resolve to get diagnosed.

Everyone has some variation. There are those who will shame you if you don't grieve the "right way".

I show grief and tears and crying to some extent, but as some other folks have mentioned, it often seems delayed or seemingly reduced. Usually my greatest sadness is for the living and I crumble watching other people lose someone and imagining their feeling of loss and despair.

I think for me, the grief process starts while the person or animal is still living. My reaction to past losses is to notice and appreciate things about people/animals currently in my life while they are still alive. This is a grief process for me because it gives me the knowledge that when they die, I will know for sure that I treasured that person/animal and hopefully have no regrets of how I treated them. I know that good memories and feelings of satisfaction with how I treated them will comfort me when they are gone. Often, death seems like a relief and sweet oblivion for those who are suffering with illness or old age and so, I try to be grateful for the life lived and accepting of a life ended.

From what I've seen, it seems common in Autistic people. Though, many of us don't express as non-Autistic people do, so it's possible some feel strong emotions and don't show them. Then non-Autistic people interpret this as no reaction.

I tend to feel grief pretty strongly, both thinking about the person and about those around them. I think it's just a matter of thinking through what their perspectives might be.

That said, we are supposed to get sick and die. So sadness or grief is not the only way to view this. I never got the inherent (to some) drama of medical shows for that reason. In real life, these situations are emotional. As TV, they always seemed pointless to me.

It is an interesting observation that some of you mentioned that you openly grieved the loss of your pet, but not a family member. My experience, as well. I had a beautiful blue-merle Australian Shepard, large male, about 70lbs of muscle, long coat. Best dog for the kids when they were little, so gentle and quietly protective. He loved running beside me on my bicycle for miles, great Frisbee disc catcher, loved swimming at the beach, etc. He was my child and was deeply loved. He lived for about 12 years before some sort of GI cancer got him. I tell you what, I cried for about 2 weeks. I was a mess.

New Threads

Top Bottom