• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Didn't getting older meant finally being alone?

and social to us is good as standing around other people in a store line, then we fulifilled our social needs for the day.

I don't know if you meant this as an example or an analogy, but if you did you hit the nail on the head. Socializing with people who aren't close friends, like my dog is, is about as interesting as standing in line at the post office.

Yeah. I think it was a line of thought that would naturally come up because loss of safety is a side effect and that can potentially be very bad for anyone I suppose.

I'm glad you're safe and well from the experience you have described.

I have a feeling I don't crave alone time as much as others here, but I can go a long time just hanging with one person I trust and love.

I've never lived alone too because of safety concerns.. or circumstance like when I still lived with parents.

I've never had to choose between living alone or not, and if I was asked, I'd say not alone but I don't want to live with a stranger either (I don't know how people are okay with finding flatmates through advertising)... or a group since living with all my siblings and parents was very stressful. How my life has been is probably why safety came up so quickly in my first reply's logic.
I've always known I could never live with a roommate (flatmate). I've always anxiously waited for the time I could be alone. I let my sister move in with me once and was miserable the entire time. I think family would be the hardest to live with, even if it was a good family, because they can never see past how they've always seen you.
You know, what you've just said has helped me. Because my daughter and her family are currently living with my son and his family, I've been having a hard time with it. Because I know I can't live with other people, I forget that some can and may even prefer it. Thanks for that.

I've always known I could never live with a roommate (flatmate). I've always anxiously waited for the time I could be alone. I let my sister move in with me once and was miserable the entire time. I think family would be the hardest to live with, even if it was a good family, because they can never see past how they've always seen you.
You know, what you've just said has helped me. Because my daughter and her family are currently living with my son and his family, I've been having a hard time with it. Because I know I can't live with other people, I forget that some can and may even prefer it. Thanks for that.
You're very welcome. I think having a great level of independence like that is admirable.

People also seem to dislike it when you don't have any plans. People love plans. And weekends. What did you do over the weekend? What are you going to do next weekend? Have a good weekend!
Ugh, I had a co-worker who always asked me that, and I couldn't understand why she was excited about getting an answer. I would answer, SLEEP is what I have planned, and then she would outline her own plans which made me feel exhausted just to hear them. But then I had a child to raise, while working full time and all I could do at the weekends was crash.;)

Ugh, I had a co-worker who always asked me that, and I couldn't understand why she was excited about getting an answer. I would answer, SLEEP is what I have planned, and then she would outline her own plans which made me feel exhausted just to hear them. But then I had a child to raise, while working full time and all I could do at the weekends was crash.;)

Yeah. Contrary to popular beliefs and music, not everyone is "working for the weekend". :rolleyes:

My work colleagues go on and on about what their next meal will be just as much as saying what their plans for weekend are to each other. Is it like a form of bragging, 1-up manship, or just wanting to express excitement to anyone about their own plans? I lead quite a quiet life, plus most of my interests do not match theirs, so I know my replies would get some reactions with them looking down on me at same time (things like video games are below them of course *rolls eyes*).

My work colleagues go on and on about what their next meal will be just as much as saying what their plans for weekend are to each other. Is it like a form of bragging, 1-up manship, or just wanting to express excitement to anyone about their own plans?
I think all of the above.
I lead quite a quiet life, plus most of my interests do not match theirs, so I know my replies would get some reactions with them looking down on me at same time (things like video games are below them of course *rolls eyes*).
Oh, yes that is so true. If I said I was planning to watch movies and relax, they would look as if I were someone to feel sorry for.

Oh, yes that is so true. If I said I was planning to watch movies and relax, they would look as if I were someone to feel sorry for.
Yeah, you get it exactly. I find particular individuals struggle so much to accept that people can very easily live very different lives to theirs, and regularly openly express their disapproval after winding themselves up about it. I feel sorry for them.

I was at the pharmacy, reading labels (obviously) and some guy came up to me, complimented me on my ability to understand "all this" and then talked continuously for ten minutes about his mother, his siblings, and himself, and I never said more than "Hmm," and, "yeah." He talked about his mother dealing with "what's wrong with him" and figuring that out, and at the end he explained it all as him having drank too much coffee. Maybe he was autistic.

And I think that fulfills my socializing quota for the week! :cool:

I was at the pharmacy, reading labels (obviously) and some guy came up to me, complimented me on my ability to understand "all this" and then talked continuously for ten minutes about his mother, his siblings, and himself, and I never said more than "Hmm," and, "yeah." He talked about his mother dealing with "what's wrong with him" and figuring that out, and at the end he explained it all as him having drank too much coffee. Maybe he was autistic.

And I think that fulfills my socializing quota for the week! :cool:[/QUOTE

omg
l love this, my point exactly

Like that this thrread opened up how we feel about socializing, l constantly have to explain my choices then l realize they will never understand how we on the spectrum look at socializing as a exercise in fitting in for about 5 mins., this gives us our badge of normalcy for about a month. Hey, it works for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom