• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did you have an IEP/ILP in school?

• Total voters
I'm an Australian who finished public high school in 97. There was no recognition that I existed. Grown ups would either notice nothing and assume I was fine, or notice some effort in my thinking and speaking and assume I was lying or otherwise up to no good. Either way whatever was always my fault. I was not fine, or disingenuous. I was a terrified child who desperately needed help he couldn't possibly ask for. I really am happy that there are some measures in place now to help people like us, but it's hard not to resent it not being there when I needed it. It sounds like you have a nice trajectory in life, so good on you for that
I have most definitely been 'disabled' by the condition. I'm trying to change this only now....
Doesn't sound any different from graduating in 1974.

Being able to go to the IEP room during study halls and to eat lunch was somewhat better for me because it was the one place in the school where literally no one bullied me or even bothered me. It was also where I had to go after seeing the senior prank during my sophomore year which led to me having a really bad anxiety attack and hyperventilating due to one of my phobias being triggered. The main issue was that I was still undiagnosed with Asperger’s for two years and the teacher was tutoring me in ways that I just couldn’t comprehend that well.

I never did but I should have. It was in my diagnosis papers but I went to private school and they didn't do that. I was supposed to have someone to help with my organization, executive functioning, and social skills. In college I didn't qualify for anything because I hadn't had any IEP or updated documentation.

No. I was allowed to leave with grade 11. Later, I went to the library, and returned to school as a guest lecturer for graduating engineers. The smarter you are, the lower your chances of finding competent help.

I made my own. School adjusted for my family. Not us to them got accepted into university but decided to take college instead. Have Honorary secondary school graduation diploma grade (13). math and science.

As most schools are trying to become diverse and inclusive, it is common practice for a competent school that is well-funded to have an ILP for each student who requires something in place. It is really dependent on the school and what they have in the way of actual support resources to ensure that the student gets the best possible outcomes. It also depends on the teachers who the student has — some of them don’t follow the ILP despite there being something in place.

I didn’t have one when I was in middle school, and by the time I was diagnosed I ended up having to have alternative schooling, so it was more specialized and and ILP would not have mattered. It wasn’t until I went to university that I had support in place : I would have extra time during tests, and had a mentor who helped me with things. It was one of the common elements of support at this university, and I am glad that they did that because I really developed during those years.

Anytime a kid has an ILP, I always try to Ensure that a lot of it is adapted to their support. It helped me, and I can see that it helps them.

I did Ok, no complaining. one of my sons needed help, he got it worked. I Figured it out laid the course.

New Threads

Top Bottom