• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did the girls take me literally?

Sashi

It is a rare event when I am quick on my feet with a response when it comes to this complicated thing called communication. Usually, when on the spot, words either don’t come out of my mouth or the wrong words come out. Then, I want to find a dark hole and climb in it. That’s one reason why when the phone rings at home, I am not the first one in the house to jump up and answer it.

A challenging day for my communication skills is when subbing as a physical education (P.E.) aide. This assignment’s plus or minus, depending on how you look at it, is I have contact with pretty much the entire student body. I cannot escape kid’s questions such as “is it dangerous to not drink water” or a child’s plea for justice “so and so called me a…”. Kids don’t want to wait more than 5 seconds for an answer or justice. So any time I am quick with a comeback response is a moment of celebration.

Once upon a time, a little girl came up to me and said “the girl over there in pink told me I was crazy”. I tried to assure her she wasn’t and went over to the girl in pink and asked if she said the other girl was crazy. She denied it, of course. The accusing student said, “She did say I was crazy! She’s lying because she doesn’t want to get in trouble.”

Well, this banter back and forth continued until I said, “Look, I wasn’t a witness. So you’re not crazy, you’re okay (the one in pink), and I AM THE ONE WHO IS CRAZY!” That stopped their bantering.

Another problem I have with communication is taking people literally. As to whether or not the girls took me literally about my being crazy, I have no idea.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not they took you seriously, and no one on this forum will be able to tell you unless they were there. Likely the discourse between the girls stopped because they were surprised. They didn't know what to think about someone admitting to being something they see as negative, and as such had nothing to say. You stumped them and distracted them from their argument. I have found distraction to be a great tool in parenting. I just wouldn't always rely on that particular phrase. ;)

I expect no student of that age, has ever come across a teacher to say: look, I am the crazy one and so, the reaction is a classic "open mouthed in shock" and the desired effect occured.

Oh I know what you mean about not being quick enough with replies.

I did a demonstration at my spiritual meeting the other night. I was petrified; it went ok, but I felt I could have done better. Anyway, a brother came up to me, after and said: how would you rate yourself, Suzanne? He did not give me the chance to actually answer, but went right into saying: that 6 would mean you are fired and so forth and said: I think you are an 8 and half and my FIRST thought was: why not a ten, since you seem to think I did brilliantly? But if I had been quick off the mark, I would have said: you give me too much credit; I think more 4, because I was not happy with a few things.

I kick myself afterwards, all the time, for being too slow a thinker.

I think your reply was the best. Probably took them by surprise and I'd guess they thought it was a great joke.

New Threads

Top Bottom