• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

(Did/Do) you do any of the following as a Teenager?

AGXStarseed

Here's my own checklist based on the list:

10. Ignoring the Doorbell
No. I don't have a doorbell and if I didn't hear someone knocking, it's probably because I was either fast asleep or listening to music through my headphones.
If I was expecting something, then I keep my headphones off and the television turned down so I can listen for anyone knocking. On top of this, as a teenager I ended running around the house much more than my siblings ever did because they were either 'busy' or just lazy.

9. Going through Phases
Yeah, I started on a spiritual path which was fair enough. Somewhere down the line, I really got roped into the whole 'New Age' thing - right down to the stories of the Illuminati, stuff about aliens such as Nordics and Reptilians, government conspiracies, 'free energy' sources, etc.
At some point, however, I realized I was going too far and too much didn't make sense when looking at it through a logical perspective, so I pulled back and cut myself away from it. Nowadays, I still have a spiritual belief but keep it just to meditation to relax me or focus on positive thoughts.
(I won't go into religion any further as this isn't the group to do that - I was just mentioning a phase I went through).

8. Selfies
Definitely not. I stated in another thread I don't understand the purpose of selfies and on top of this, none of the phones I've had in the past have had a decent camera (in most cases they didn't have one at all). I'm a 90's kid and, to my knowledge, the popularity of selfies didn't really kick off until 2010, when my teenage years were nearly over.

7. Stealing Alcohol
Never done that. I'm alcohol-intolerant and find the taste and/or after-taste of the majority of alcohol I've tried to be repulsive, so I don't bother.

6. Internet Challenges
Not done this. I don't really see a point to most of them, and after reading some reports where people have been humiliated, injured or even died from trying to complete the challenge I'm glad I never tried.

5. Anger
While I did get angry and lose my temper once in a while, my outbursts were small and somewhat passive; contrary to this video's suggestion, I never told my parents that I hated them (I have a lot of respect for both and I'm a bit scared of my Dad).
My outbursts were especially small compared to my siblings (all neurotypical) - who seemed to become enraged by the smallest thing. My brother was once cooking a pizza and wrongly accused me of turning the oven temperature down. Although I hadn't done it and protested my innocence, he full on lashed out at me and showered me with punches. There were plenty more incidents where my siblings would rage at small things, but I won't go into them here.

4. Mess
Yeah, my room wasn't always the cleanest. My mum did help me with organizing a lot of my stuff, especially schoolwork and coursework, into a plastic box under my bed to keep everything together. In all honesty, I did 'try' to keep my room as clean as I could, although keeping everything in a place where I would remember were it was proved difficult at times.
Again, my siblings seemed to be worse at this, with stuff all over the place and my mum constantly telling them off about it.

3. Not answering the phone
Like with the doorbell question from earlier, I don't deliberately ignore the phone but do miss calls if I'm asleep, have my headphones on or just don't get to it in time for certain reasons like been on the toilet. It's a trait has gone on since my teenage years. Thankfully nowadays, my mobile phone causes interference with my wireless headphones when I get a call or text on it, so I miss those less then the house phone if my music is playing.

2. Overreacting
I'm not sure on this one. I'm usually pretty passive-aggressive, venting my frustrations on my own by talking to myself so I can cool off quicker. Listening to rock and metal music also helps me cool off when I'm annoyed, so I don't think I did this that much during my teens.

1. Odd Diets
I've not done any of these 'trendy' diets. In my case, I just ate was was available or whatever my parents had prepared for me. When I did try diets, it was the traditional diet of eating greens and healthier food and cutting out unhealthy foods such as sweets/chocolate, crisps and other tempting treats, while also trying to get off my backside and exercise more.

The only two relates to me are:

• Going through Phases: Because I was placed in a foster home a few times which was a very unpleasant period of my life. I glad I was able to move out at age 17
  • I always had trouble having a clean place even to this day.

During my teenage years I was a mad Nintendo fan, got a Gameboy for Christmas in 1992 when I was 16, and then got a SNES when I was 17, this carried on to mid 20's when I got an N64 then a DS, some decent games back then, but I was spending way too much time and loot on eBay buying old DS games.

I've done 0 of these.
Back then I was vegetarian instead of vegan but i don't think either of those are very 'trendy'

10. Ignoring the Doorbell?
Only if I'm not expecting company.
9. Going through Phases?
Who doesn't?
8. Selfies?
I didn't like my picture taken at all, let alone selfies. Besides, back in the 80's, we didn't have the technology for selfies anyways. Unless you went to a photo booth.
7. Stealing Alcohol?

Never did that. But the funny thing was. My mother thought I was weird for not trying.
6. Internet Challenges?

I am from the 80's. We didn't have the internet back then. But we did have what we called "truth or dare" challenges back then and I would say that it was as bad back then as it is today.
5. Anger?

Who doesn't get angery now and then.
4. Mess?

O-Yes! I really had a messy room.
3. Not answering the phone?

Not really. Unless it someone that I was expecting to call and I didn't want to talk to, then yes.
2. Overreacting?

Who doesn't?
1. Odd Diets?

O-Yes! I really had some weird one's here. Not of the fad kind. But the, well just weird kind. for example. I would eat a cake mix raw out of the box.

Yes. I never answer the doorbell because of some irrational fears I have about who may or may not be ringing it.

9. Going through Phases

Yes.

8. Selfies
Not really. I hate how I look and I rarely take pictures of myself.

7. Stealing Alcohol
Yes.

6. Internet Challenges

Yes, as I have mentioned in another thread.

5. Anger

I am often angry.

4. Mess
That sort of fluctuates. Sometimes my room is immaculate and sometimes it looks as though it's been hit by a natural disaster.

I have phone anxiety and generally won't answer my phone unless my mum is calling me.

2. Overreacting
I think it's safe to say I overreact to almost everything.

1. Odd Diets
Not that I'm aware of.

Whoops I've only ever taken a couple of selfie as I prefer it to someone else taking the picture. I am on a weird diet; high salt, high fluid and no gluten but this is not a faddy things it's for my health. I have celiac disease and (POTS) low blood pressure.

Whoops I've only ever taken a couple of selfie as I prefer it to someone else taking the picture. I am on a weird diet; high salt, high fluid and no glutton but this is not a faddy things it's for my health. I have celiac diesie and (POTS) low blood pressure.
I overreact but I always have as I struggle to expires emotions.

Here's my own checklist based on the list:

Why would a teenager answer the doorbell?

9. Going through Phases
Not really, I stuck with about everything I was ever into. Those closest would be my goth thing, but I only stopped that to make money at work, I still really love the style, and love when I get to go to Goth or Industrial events because I love it so much.

8. Selfies
They didn't have these yet, I didn't take my first selfie until a few years into my 20s but then I went crazy for sure, I have hundreds from 2008-2012 (when I got pregnant with my son and was convinced I was too ugly and fat to do so anymore) Hopefully next year I'll become a selfie lover again.

7. Stealing Alcohol
I didn't have my first drink until I was 22 then I was just buying it for everybody.

6. Internet Challenges
Idk what this is.

5. Anger
My meltdowns were insane, I destroyed stuff. :(

4. Mess
eh, not too bad.

Nobody called me, no phone to answer.

2. Overreacting
Insane meltdowns?

1. Odd Diets
Not as a teenager, but in my 20s I've done many fasts and changed my diet around a lot. I'm hoping to start a good, long fast after leaving the hospital this year.

I didn't ignore the door bell when it rang: I very much acknowledged it. By running to my room and staying there until the "threat" went away. Same thing with the phone. I remember staying at an aunt's once, and she told me to get the phone if it rang. This was before caller ID, so I would not have been able to tell her to just check that. I spent an afternoon terrified that it would ring, and sure enough it did. I picked it up, sure: but I was never able to understand who had called because I was so scared.

Being angry: I was born angry. Or so I think, because I look mad at the world and nonplussed on every single picture that was taken of me as a baby/toddler, to the point it's funny.

Overreacting: Would meltdowns count? I'm not making excuses here on overreacting, but I'm definitely going to play the Aspie card. Nothing to do with being a teenager in my case, everything to do with crippling anxiety, overthinking it all, hyper awareness & constant tension.

I didn't ignore the door bell when it rang: I very much acknowledged it. By running to my room and staying there until the "threat" went away.
I do this now. :p

Anybody I know can call or text me before knocking on the door so logic dictates if someone is knocking on the door they are either a threat or a soliciter. I never answer the door without a phone call or a text before. I've been trying to explain this to my son, when someone knocks on the door he'll come be like, "someone's at the door! someone's at the door!" and I'm just like, "just sit down and be quiet until they go away."

New Threads

Top Bottom