• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did anyone else ever hate music? (I like it now)

Reirei

Dragonair is debonair.
When I was a child, I hated music. I would fast-forward through songs during Disney movies. I think it may have been overstimulating to me.

I have since learned to like and enjoy music. But I still don't think I fall into reasonable categories. I will obsessively listen to 1 song on repeat or a select few songs and then l will go months without listening to music at all.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Also, I have raspberry beret on repeat today apparently it is this year's birthday song for me.

are_you_my_exact_opposite_1-f.jpg

I only don't like certain kinds of music, like waily R&B songs for example, and rap/hip hop. Otherwise I love music!! As a child I would often listen to the same song over and over again.

Perhaps you needed to experiment with different genres of music to see what kind you liked. EDIT: I find that I need to be in the mood for some kinds of music, epecially high energy music like metal. My choice of music matches my energy levels, and when I have low energy or I'm overloaded, I choose gentle music like smooth piano jazz or instrumental soundscape, rather than anything with strong vocals or a strong beat, and find it can help to calm down or relax.

Last edited:
I had a strange relationship with music as a child and now thinking about it, it was overstimilus.

The first "modern" song I loved was on repeat and I could not listen to anything else! The name escapes me right now.

I hated buying music, because inevitably, there was only one or two songs I liked and considered it a waste of money and thus, never purchased records.

Then, I was introduced to Pink Floyd and was astonished that I enjoyed the entire albumn and I guess I was obsessed with telling everyone, who just seemed to take it in their stride; no big deal.

I cannot listen to music around others, because of overstimulation.

My first true musical love was Thriller when I was about ten. I once listened to Beat it on repeat for four hours straight. :eek:

Is that why I never joined a gang!? :eek:

If it involves singing, I cant stand it. The worst part though is that there seems to be exactly three things that a song can be about:

1. Love
2. Relationships
3. How great some guy's girlfriend is

Doesnt help that I have zero interest in any of that sort of thing.

Seriously, I cant remember the last time I heard one that wasnt that. Even when a song starts out seeming like it would be about something else, it's always actually one of those. Like, some country music channel was playing randomly in the living room (and I dont know how to operate the demented TV setup to turn it off or anything, it's this hideous mass of tangles and remotes that do who knows what, pretty sure it'll summon Cthulhu if I mess with it), and this guy starts singing about horses, okay, sure. But they werent actual horses, no, these had to be horses of the heart somehow, because that makes sense, and then there came the bit about the girlfriend, and... *sigh* It doesnt matter what "genre" it is, these songs are always like that. With rare exceptions, but mostly that.

I mean, seriously, a song about freaking carpentry would be more interesting. But not really, because it would be carpentry of love, and then comes the girlfriend.

So... yeah. That got old like 2000 years ago.

But beyond that, I find that lyrics just get in the way of the actual music. Like, stop making weird squealing sounds and just let me hear the instruments or whatever.

And while I dont watch movies anymore, back as a kid, I used to dislike the Disney songs too. Like, just get back to the parts where stuff happens. It always kinda took me OUT of the story, because who just randomly breaks into song like that? I'll never understand why that's always a thing with those. I mean, really, there'll be stuff happening, and I'd be wondering what'd happen next, and... oh great, the animals are singing about cheese or something again.

As it is the music I do have, which is all in my car's CD player, is just random tracks from whatever games I happen to be into. Usually stuff that's at least somewhat intense. But always without lyrics.

If it involves singing, I cant stand it. The worst part though is that there seems to be exactly three things that a song can be about:

1. Love
2. Relationships
A lot of commercial pop music is like this, and I agree with the sentiment - this is why I don't like to listen to most pop music. Mainly boring, superficial feelgood lyrics with a poppy earworm riff or hook that bugs you for the rest of the day. A musical ememe.
This is why I listen to bands like New Model Army or Skyclad who actually have something to say.

Last edited:
I've always loved music to be honest, but certain genres I can't and won't listen to. Musical numbers in movies/cartoons or plays are irritating as they're just narrating the story which feels redundant. Normal 'pop' music is always love/love lost orientated which also is of no interest... I think it's a case of finding the right genre that you can comfortably listen to - whether it's something ambient without words, or a genre that touches on themes you want to hear.

My father used to play a lot of Queen when I was growing up, so I'm still into rock/metal music now which has a much more diverse set of themes they talk about. Tool are philosophical/political. Some bands like System of a Down and Rage against the Machine offer a more purely political narrative. Other bands like Korn and Slipknot talk about depression/abuse and how that feels. Metalcore as a genre talk about all sorts, whether it's just stealing a car and having fun ("MC Thunder" by Eskimo Callboy) or just how depression/dark feelings eat away at sanity ("Ghost Pains" by Life Barrier). There are many examples in other genres, metal is just what I'm more familiar with.

I always loved music and find I like classic rock the best, my brother who is also on the spectrum loves music especially heavy metal.

First of all - happy birthday!
Can't really blame you for fast forwarding through the Disney songs - those I tolerate, but don't LIKE. Certain types of music are torturous to me and that's without exaggeration. I'd rather hear screeching fingernails across the blackboard or someone loudly crunching potato chips than have to listen to certain music. But I love music - the right kind and, like you, often found myself playing one song on repeat for hours. Before cd's I had to have plenty of blank cassettes because I might buy an album for one or two songs and would record those two songs over and over onto the cassette so I could listen to them over and over. Of course, at the time, you'd always get barking dogs and people talking in the background. lol

I've always loved music to be honest, but certain genres I can't and won't listen to. Musical numbers in movies/cartoons or plays are irritating as they're just narrating the story which feels redundant. Normal 'pop' music is always love/love lost orientated which also is of no interest... I think it's a case of finding the right genre that you can comfortably listen to - whether it's something ambient without words, or a genre that touches on themes you want to hear.

My father used to play a lot of Queen when I was growing up, so I'm still into rock/metal music now which has a much more diverse set of themes they talk about. Tool are philosophical/political. Some bands like System of a Down and Rage against the Machine offer a more purely political narrative. Other bands like Korn and Slipknot talk about depression/abuse and how that feels. Metalcore as a genre talk about all sorts, whether it's just stealing a car and having fun ("MC Thunder" by Eskimo Callboy) or just how depression/dark feelings eat away at sanity ("Ghost Pains" by Life Barrier). There are many examples in other genres, metal is just what I'm more familiar with.
I like what you are saying. :)
Maybe one reason I always like Crosby, Stills, Bash and Young - their songs were mostly protest songs or about events. And one of my all time favorites was Buffalo Springfields "For What it's Worth". That's one I could put on repeat every day.

I love Disney songs!:hearteyes: Especially the songs from the Disney Renaissance. I have CDs with the soundtracks of The Little Mermaid. Aladdin and the Lion King. I can't remember ever hating music.

1. Love
2. Relationships

Doesnt help that I have zero interest in any of that sort of thing.

Seriously, I cant remember the last time I heard one that wasnt that. Even when a song starts out seeming like it would be about something else, it's always actually one of those. Like, some country music channel was playing randomly in the living room (and I dont know how to operate the demented TV setup to turn it off or anything, it's this hideous mass of tangles and remotes that do who knows what, pretty sure it'll summon Cthulhu if I mess with it), and this guy starts singing about horses, okay, sure. But they werent actual horses, no, these had to be horses of the heart somehow, because that makes sense, and then there came the bit about the girlfriend, and... *sigh* It doesnt matter what "genre" it is, these songs are always like that. With rare exceptions, but mostly that.

I mean, seriously, a song about freaking carpentry would be more interesting. But not really, because it would be carpentry of love, and then comes the girlfriend.

So... yeah. That got old like 2000 years ago.

But beyond that, I find that lyrics just get in the way of the actual music. Like, stop making weird squealing sounds and just let me hear the instruments or whatever.

And while I dont watch movies anymore, back as a kid, I used to dislike the Disney songs too. Like, just get back to the parts where stuff happens. It always kinda took me OUT of the story, because who just randomly breaks into song like that? I'll never understand why that's always a thing with those. I mean, really, there'll be stuff happening, and I'd be wondering what'd happen next, and... oh great, the animals are singing about cheese or something again.

As it is the music I do have, which is all in my car's CD player, is just random tracks from whatever games I happen to be into. Usually stuff that's at least somewhat intense. But always without lyrics.

Sounds like you've heard mostly radio music, because I also don't like songs on those subjects, with rare exceptions, and I listen to music almost every waking minute.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've heard mostly radio music, because I also don't like songs on those subjects, with rare exceptions, and I listen to music almost every waking minute.

Well, to be fair, I probably wouldnt like music about pretty much any subject.

IRL, I rarely converse with anyone, as the subjects most people want to talk about is all inane drudgery to me. Whether it's a "serious" topic or a "silly" one, still inane. Many times outright stupid.

And I think to myself... I dont want to listen to those idiots talk about any of that, so I sure as bloody hell dont want those subjects combined with all of that high-pitched vocal squealing that just makes the guitar or piano or whatever harder to hear. May as well ask me to jump into a pit full of angry vipers.

Whether it's basic talking or outright singing, I'd usually rather everyone just shut up and let me listen to... any other freaking thing. The dog howling at a leaf that fell outside the window is more intellectually stimulating and entertaining. Well, until he's done it for like 30 minutes straight, then not so much.

On a side note, I did in fact hear a different song coming out of that TV yesterday that wasnt about one of those three subjects.

Instead it was seemed to be mostly about alcohol.

Garfieldthing.gif

Can't say I hated music as a child, I just had no interest in listening to music.

I started listening to music in my teens, and today I listen mostly on music while working on stuff or when don't have anything else to do.
Most of my music does not involve singing, as I find it distracting while working; But I really love the few songs I have that involve singing.

I enjoy music that's not cluttered. Where you feel the space between the notes. I like music for the sounds, the instruments, and the sound of people's voices. As far as words, I really couldn't care less what they say most of the time. I don't even remember the words to 99% of songs, including songs by my favorite artists that I've listened to for over 20 years. But I can remember everything else about the song.

New Threads

Top Bottom