• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did anybody say something to change your life?

ChrisC1983

So, I just got an idea in my head and had to write it down.. and this what it turned into. The other thing I was writing (only thing I ever wrote besides a few poems..) was around 17000 words and I was still adding to that up to a month or so ago. Maybe spent a few months on it. Trust me, it's worded far differently.

Have you ever had somebody.. a stranger.. tell you something that, looking back on, you could say literally changed your life? People like to say that when they do, it's a positive thing the person said to them. Go get that job, travel the country, find your soul mate and chase your dreams!
Right?
Well.. here's how it happened for me. I had been on SSDI for about 7 years at the time... which is a very miserable existence by the way... and I had an appointment with a state appointed therapist. You know, to prove I'm too mentally broken to fix. Remember now, at this time I just believe I'm a loser, too shy, too much anxiety.. all things that everybody else seems to be able to do fine, I mess up at every available turn or at least scare myself so much that I can't even get to that turn. So anyway, the therapist ends up explaining to me what “should” have happened when I was a child. They are a therapist but are only there to confirm if I have a problem or not. Not to diagnose me. I was told that I should have had therapy at a very young age as well as speech improvement classes. He seen that I was intelligent and did not believe I would have needed special education classes... and remember, this was only myself and the therapist in a 20 minute session, so this was all figured out by him within 10 minutes of talking to me.

He went on to explain that the speech therapy and psych would have followed through to college and, if I needed special accommodations to do my school work, the school would have needed to provided that for me. The state also would have had to been paying me since highschool because the school recognizing that I have a problem means so does the state so I would have had a monthly check, the amount would vary.. the number doesn't matter. But imagine the slew of programs the state would need to pay for to help a child through their college years.. it's comparable to the cost of rasing any child through their college years I'm sure, and moreso because of the high possibility of special classes, doctors, physical needs equipment whether that means special shoes to a wheel chair. So, while I do not remember his exact words for the conversation, what he told me afterwards was this; “They let you slip through the cracks”.
Pause to imagine how he looked. He was atleast in his late 60s, healthy looking, about 1ft taller than you.. and imagine yourself as a naturally taller person than those around you.. and dressed with white hair and a gray sweater vest with a voice that would rival Mr. Rogers for those of us who grew up with him on TV in our childhoods. So, the “They” of which he spoke, could have been anybody in our conversation. Maybe blaming “the system”, or maybe blaming myself and my parents. Again, looking back on things makes it easier to see multiple sides of the conversation. So I took it as his blame for the system.. which still didn't make me feel great. Especially since he followed up that line with something to the effect of “That was their cheapest way out” but worded much better. I do wish I remembered his wording.. trust me, watch Mr. Rogers, his voice is very similar.
So, him.. a professional, state level psychiatrist with clearly many years of experience and who is reminding you in each syllable of this guy who was one of your childhood heroes and possibly the last time you had heroes of any sort and who had spoken to me for 10 minutes of my life.. had been confirming what many online based friends, some family, and you yourself as you had looked into it since somebody first suggested it as a possibility more than 10 years ago.. had also been considering but giving little concern to. It's quite a scenario isn't it? I would need to say that is probably when I really flipped a switch in my mind to just be me.
I was feeling worse every day, depression wise.. so I knew even the seemingly best of things would only keep me content for a year at the most. You would think that would have happened with my ex girlfriend since it was also the same time frame, but she lost all credibility to me when she demanded that I move from my state to whatever state her and her mother were going to be living in next month. I won't jam it in here but I promise I'll bring that back up and explain it more later. Anyway, so I had to do something.. and for the past 30 years of my life, I did everything I could for everybody that I could. So, my last friend left from anything, online or in person, would still chat from time to time and he ended up mentioning “ted talks” to me. Of course, I had to research them. In short, a TED talk is a 20 minute motivational speech by various people. They are also very informative and can be based in science, arts, history, or just about anything. Some will be a story of a man simply helping his brother have a better life through healthy eating... and relax, I'm not a vegan. At this very moment I still need to force myself to have a grape. I do intend to eat better but, on top of other issues, I've spent the better part of a decade on boxed, canned, and frozen foods both out of financial necessity and depression.

Before that you ask? Not much better. I came from an Irish/Italian family.. 2 turkeys for Thanksgiving dinner was not unreasonable, and there was usually around 6-10 of us depending on who popped in. If you don't eat, you must be sick... trust me, for those who were not children in that situation.. it's just easier to eat. And I will explain more on the family dynamics later as well, so relax you few exception to the rule people. So as of these last 2 weeks, my diet has never seen a 100% organic food that was also healthy and still in the form it should be in as opposed to in a stew or a pie, and I wasn't a big pie eater.

This is poignant writing ChrisC1983 As for your question, I will give it more thought, in order to write more. But it would be getting my diagnosis.

Mia I never really got that from my father. the closest thing to positive advice that i remember is always double sided. for instance, if i came home from elementary school with an A- and said "everybody else got C's", i would receive a response of "that's not bad, but i know you can do better" which would somehow quickly snowball into "you don't want to be a dumbass all your life like me, do you?" (and at the time.. what i knew of him, was that he worked a lot but he did have time to take me to museums when i wanted to go and we always had money for the movies or pizza so i was happy. there's plenty things that would annoy me, but he was the head of the household outside of the house (well.. apartment... and inside it was his mother, my grandmother)...... sorry, started to ramble. but, yeah, that.. all in all.. shouldn't be the most positive thing i remember him telling me. i can't even really call it advice.

kestrel in a sense, you could say that is what it was for me. granted it wasn't in an official way.. although he could explain everything he couldn't add a diagnosis. but effectively, yes it was like saying "you're right about yourself... now how can you fix it?" which is a fantastic concept to me since i love to fix everything (i think most of us do, even if we don't like it we'll still try lol) so now i've been working on finally taking all the advice i've given to people (some unwanted i'm aware.. but i was usually still correct in what i said..) and all the advice i just invented in my own head for scenarios i've made up or altered.. and i'm trying to apply it to myself. but, sadly, it will take a long time. i can say it has been working.. i can't exactly remember how long that appointment was for me, but i'm going to say around 8 months ago. and it's all been an uphill battle.. even with my family. basically, i have myself, my father, my aunt, and my cousin (mom is alive but we never talk, and when we do it's just because she wants something from me).. and i was working with my aunts boyfriend for 3yrs so my aunt and cousin (same house) became very close. but due to work problems (simply put, they wouldn't pay me.. after 3yrs..) i decided to leave. so now my cousin and aunt do not talk to me....... so now my circle of life is my father and his girlfriend, and dad is bipolar

I'll have to think about it also. This will be a good positive mind exercise for the day.

I can come up with many things said that prevented me from changing my life, that is, unhelpful or negative comments about things that I wanted to do or changes I wanted to make. Of course, those just reinforced my own negativity and lack of self esteem and trust.

I can come up with far too many examples of things that prevented me from doing something. In reference to my father, I like to tell people that he taught me everything to NOT do... but nothing to actually do. i lived with my grandparents (dads side) and mom + dad. in a nutshell.. grandpa was a shut-in, but he taught me a lot about history and probably just my own thought process because he taught me chess at a VERY young age (around 5, maybe even earlier) which is a lot of strategic thinking
my grandmother was like the matriarch.. who i learned the concept of cooking from. I don't remember her exact recipes for anything.. because nothing was written down. it was all "by taste" so each time she made food, it was a little different.. and in the proportions for a decent sizes irish/italian family
mom.. was from a drug/alcohol addicted family, she was somewhat schizophrenic and stabbed my father on 2 separate occasions that i'm aware of (and she did drugs)... dad, although he did have a real job.. was also a dealer and user with guns (well, 1 assault rifle in particular that he likes to brag about) was also bipolar

so you can imagine the childhood life from that alone. frankly i'm surprised i'm not a drug lord at this point in my life. if i didn't care about people, i would probably rival al capone's life since i know far more about investments and cause/effect than your average drug dealer. but none of that taught me how to really do something with my life and nobody motivated me to do anything other than believe i was doing everything wrong.

i imagine you have quite a list of what "not" to do.. but what about things to do? when you wake up in the morning, what do you want to do for yourself that day? not just errands or chores.. but something that makes you wake up and say "boy it would be fun to do ___________"..... that is the thing you need to do.

The things that have been said by others that changed my life have been:

"Your hired"
"Yes, I'll marry you"
"I want a divorce"
"I want to have a kid with you"
"I want you to get help, you have a problem"

when you wake up in the morning, what do you want to do for yourself that day?

I guess the above quote is the answer to the OP question. I have been the only person who said anything that changed my life in an inspirational way. I don't mean to belittle or negate anyone who has had a positive role in my life, but they didn't really say anything inspirational or so supportive that it changed my life. I have been the person who got me up and at it, but I'm not saying that I did everything on my own.

I have been the person who got me up and at it

not to sound cliche (and i know i do).. but i think that is a good point and very relative to a saying i heard often in my life. Basically.. "if you wan't something done right, do it yourself"

i always applied that differently. literally i guess i should say. if you want the house cleaned, chores done, food cooked, various things fixed/painted/repaired/whatever needs to be "done" to them.. do it yourself. but it can be applied to people as well.. specifically, yourself. nobody will help you.... it's a terrible thing to say, and it's not 100% literally true.. but you can provide the most help to yourself compared to the help offered by others. most people don't have the time to help you properly even if they want to.. and those who do want to and have the time, may not have the ability. and then there are some who may mean well but unintentionally be doing more harm than good (i like to believe that is where my family falls.. because otherwise they're in the next category)... which leaves you with the people trying to hurt you. with all that.. you can now see how your problem is literally "your" problem. it may have been reinforced by others but ultimately it's a problem you have and you need to fix because you are the only one who knows how it effects you and the only one both willing and able to put the time necessary into helping yourself. it just boils down to the means.... can you do it. and often a person would need either specific knowledge or a mentor to do such a thing. which i think is why i got into motivational "ted talk" type of videos. those who did want to help me didn't know how.. and quite frankly, neither did i. i'm still learning. but as long as you can keep progressing, there's a possibility for things to be OK
because, honestly..... under everything i seem to be to everybody. i'm still scared to death of doing anything, to the point where i would prefer to be dead. i can't specifically say i'm suicidal.. but i do wish i was not here. i know it's a terrible thing to say, and feel.. and i am working on it. but, for me, i'm not at a point in my life where i have something that i want to live for.. whether that means i'm obsessed with a hobby, or married or atleast love the people i'm around (or love being alone if i could be)... or.. well.. anything really. including myself. i'm fighting off all of the negative things i've been told and that i've created from others talking to me.. but there's a LOT to fight off after almost 32yrs of life

Very well said, chris. Regardless of whether or not people have said anything, positive or negative, it is up to you to make the change. As Kestrel said, it comes down to our own decisions to choose the change. What someone else can do is allow you to change in the way you need, to do what is right for yourself.

One thing about negative feedback; I spent a lot of years trying to prove some people wrong, that I could do what they thought I couldn't or shouldn't do. I gave those people too much power. Did I really want to do those things, or was I being motivated for the wrong reasons? I have decided that I can't answer that, that it is best to just let it go. It was all part of my life, it was experience, I learned from it. Live in peace.

I've actually broken down a lot of the negative feedback..... and while I can't approach my father with ASD related questioning (like how i was as a child.... i've honestly forgotten so much of my own life. which would be sad if i was in my 90s.. but i'm not even 32, and i forgot most of my life by the time i was 20.. so the years are very important just to form opinions of what i like/dislike. i literally don't really even know if i have a favorite food or color or some fond memory from my childhood like a toy i really enjoyed or just a shirt i really liked).... and while i try to type this dad keeps calling me so this has been about 20 minutes sofar.
what i was trying to say, is that i've actually broke down a lot of those negative feedback examples that i do remember, and much of it was my father (and clearly i'm still living with him) and it is possible to answer that question on a situational basis where fault could be seen in various forms of each side. but, as you said.. things just need to be let go. the fault doesn't matter because, ultimately.. it is the past. and, so far past in my case that those things can't be changed

ok he destroyed whatever positive thought i had.. been another half hour or so. i made the mistake of asking him to not burn my chicken wings (he was cooking, i was putting the laundry away) which apparently meant i was less of a man so... yeah... thats my day to day life

I decided to start to try to count myself as worthy as others are. Just to see what would happen. It is somewhat unnatural at times. An ongoing project I guess.

I decided to start to try to count myself as worthy as others are

That sounds interesting, are you using some form of affirmations for this?

Upon reflecting on this for the last few days, I do remember an encounter that, while not really changing my life, helped me to value myself more.

I was on my way to the airport to go skiing in Wyoming, the cabbie was an older Middle Eastern guy. I was living in my studio space at the time, and he asked about the building, what went on there. He then asked what kind of work I did, and after I told him, he said "So you have a gift! That's wonderful, you should be grateful for that and use it well. If I had a gift, I wouldn't be driving this cab!"

I am young and I haven't had as many life experiences as you, but whenever someone talks to me and I can feel that person talking into my soul, I record that conversation for the rest of my life.
For example, every holiday I used to go to my grandma's house, which is at the south of Spain, where we have a home. One of the friends of my grandma -that I think passed out- told me couple months before dying this:
"Study hard and give the best of yourself now that you're young, because people will like a 100% giver better than a 85% or a 80%. In jobs, in friendships, in any kind of relationship."

This is one of the many examples I can find.

This is a very nice post Christ. Kudos

On the Inside , no, no affirmations. I just try to step back in encounters and see myself as an actual person for a change.

That is a nice and useful story - hope you're creating - whether in that studio or somewhere else.

but whenever someone talks to me and I can feel that person talking into my soul, I record that conversation for the rest of my life.

That is an incredible thought, thank you for telling us about it.

I just try to step back in encounters and see myself as an actual person for a change.

I think I get it, but I'll have to let it haunt me a bit, until I can visualize it some way.

There is more to the cab ride story. We were almost to the airport, about a half hour drive, when I realized I forgot my wallet; no money, no cards, no I.D. The cabbie couldn't believe it "Really?! Is there time to get it without missing your plane?" "Yeah, some gift, huh?" I replied. We went back for my wallet, and I made the flight, but could have used the money spent on the cab ride for something a bit more fun.

Every time I made toast with my dad around he would say "you like that warm bread". If it wasn't burnt, it wasn't toast.

yeah, i have heard very similar from my father. my "toasted' bread is the equivilant of leaving the bread on a plate.. so air gets to it... for maybe 30 minutes, then warm it. i don't want black.. if it does burn i can't scrape it and eat it (well.. technically at this point i can, but i hate it. it wont even fill me no matter what i eat just because i hate it so much)

That is an incredible thought, thank you for telling us about it.

I think I get it, but I'll have to let it haunt me a bit, until I can visualize it some way.

There is more to the cab ride story. We were almost to the airport, about a half hour drive, when I realized I forgot my wallet; no money, no cards, no I.D. The cabbie couldn't believe it "Really?! Is there time to get it without missing your plane?" "Yeah, some gift, huh?" I replied. We went back for my wallet, and I made the flight, but could have used the money spent on the cab ride for something a bit more fun.

Sorry I missed the whole conversation.. but i need to ask (if you don't mind)... what do you do? whats the gift he referred to? you might have said it somewhere else to me but i just don't remember.. i'm not here often enough and when dad is around me, i'm nowhere. even if i manage a post here.. mentally, i'm not here. well, i guess that kind of shows by the last post i made about dad being here

I am young and I haven't had as many life experiences as you, but whenever someone talks to me and I can feel that person talking into my soul, I record that conversation for the rest of my life.
For example, every holiday I used to go to my grandma's house, which is at the south of Spain, where we have a home. One of the friends of my grandma -that I think passed out- told me couple months before dying this:
"Study hard and give the best of yourself now that you're young, because people will like a 100% giver better than a 85% or a 80%. In jobs, in friendships, in any kind of relationship."

This is one of the many examples I can find.

This is a very nice post Christ. Kudos
I do believe that's good advice. the problem (i see anyway) with advice like that (a "how to act around people) thing) depends on where you are. i've spent far too little time in places where that advice would be applicable... which is very sad because that how i lived my life, and.. with no exception that i can currently think of (i tried..).. all it did was let or make people walk over me (i would like to believe "let", that way it takes the blame off of me and onto them. so now i'm trying to be a bit more self centered. which sounds terrible to me.. and from an outside observer could just be seen as me "growing some balls" or such

i have a theory.. that everybody stops aging around age 12-18 (varied due to various factors). by which i mean..their rules of functioning. how they carry themselves, interactions they have, the overall type of person they were.. stays comparable to how they were around late elementary to highschool age. most highschoolers might whine about different things than adults, but while the topics change from their girlfriend to wife, and school to job.. even "i need a car" to "i need a new car".. the topics all seem to root the same. but as a psych told me, the state "dropped the ball" so, for me, i was the only weird kid in school
i mean, they had a section for mental disabilities (and probably asperger level problems too.. i'm talking about the early 90's in a poor city) and while many clearly made fun of them.. i was in that very small group of friends right above the "disabled" ones where, if we talked, we probably would have realized we had a lot in common. but those kids caught so much bullying and we had plenty of our own without adding to it intentionally. so by the time highschool rolled around, the few kids i knew were dispursed in the highschool and i was basically alone. eventually i would chat with somebody on occasion but mostly just stay quiet, do my work.. respond if somebody asked me a question........ no initializing for anything... basically, where i am now. which is 1 sucky place to be

i did ask out 1 girl.. whenever the movie "fools rush in" came out..... 1997, so i was 14 or 15.. she (politely) said no and something about her sick grandmother.. and that was it. that is the first and last time i directly asked somebody not only to go on a date.. but to do anything more important than passing me the salt or something of that level. so that was quite a bit longer than i had originally thought when starting this whole post (i knew it was years.. but even my 1st and last actual girlfriend, i didn't really ask her out.. her mother introduced us and for a while we would all talk together (online in World of Warcraft lol)..... wow thats sad

Sorry I missed the whole conversation.. but i need to ask (if you don't mind)... what do you do?

At the time, I did furniture, wood and metal sculpture, and ceramics. Nothing great, just useful objects with a little expression to them. Now I develop and build science and engineering based exhibits for museums. I do some drawing and photography for my personal artistic expression. I don't show or sell any of it, and don't intend to.

"Did anyone say something to change your life?" The big one would be when my wife said "yes". My life would have been very different if she would have said "no". There is something else that was said to me that stands out as changing my life. Twelve years ago I had a heart attack. After they fixed me up, a doctor told me that if I did not stop smoking immediately that there was no sense in treating me any further because I would be dead in six months. That was pretty blunt, but it worked. I quit and I am still here.

I just try to step back in encounters and see myself as an actual person for a change.

Still kneading this out. I can see myself during encounters, how I am most aware of my reactions, physical, mental and emotional, gauging and adjusting my outward presentation (ie. what I am saying, how I am saying it, if I have an expression on my face, or gestures that may transmit my inner feelings). So, how I am interpreting this is, I am being a bit of a reflexive/reactive organism, inert without the input from others. Doesn't sound so good, not very "human" of me.

Now if I could stand back, ignore or shut off the constant monitoring of my reactions and responses, and simply let the encounter happen, I would be in the encounter as an actual person. How to step back and see myself as an actual person? Puzzling.

New Threads

Top Bottom