• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Desperately need help and advice on this man

Hi all

I'm new to this site today, but have been reading threads on here for a while, trying to gain some insight into the Aspie man I'm in love with.

We met in Feb of 2013. He was my new manager. Because he hadn't been given a sufficient handover, I helped in his new role to make things easier on him.

The first time he met me he was fumbling his words and couldn't really say more than 3 words whilst looking at me, things progresses and we developed a friendship.
By April we talked on the phone for an hour a day while I was working (general chit chat about work) and I had emergency surgery which was major.

He came to see me in hospital once. (Something he now says he would have done for everyone)

I returned to work after 4 months of recovery, and the company were not good to work for then. He pursued me, paid me so much attention and made me feel like we were perfectly the same in every way. He even mentioned that we must have been twins in a past life.

About a month later, due to the troubles with the workplace He told me he had resigned, so I decided to leave too. He had a new job to start and called me to tell me to apply as this small company needed someone else. I did, with my resume and his reference I got the position.

We have worked there for just over a year together now. I knew he was a shy and awkward person socially so I thought because he liked me but hadn't made physical advances, this was the only way he could think to keep me in his life.

Fast track a year now. We've spent literally thousands of hours on the phone, we would have 8 hour phone conversations, I wanted all along for it to progress to him coming round, which he would do maybe once every 3 months, it was awkward at times because he wouldn't make much eye contact, but I found his presence calming and liked been around him.

We talked about intimacy a lot and he would tell me about the number of women who are after him. He once mentioned that he wouldn't have sex before marriage but he contradicts himself so much that when he said he had slept with 5 or 6 women I thought the usual (don't know what's true, to myself). He has known for a year that I'm in live with him. He told me that he had never been in love before or really got to know a girl, told me he can't sleep in the same bed as anyone and would make ex gfs leave after sex.

We talked about kissing 4 months ago and he came to my house with the goal of me kissing him (he said he wouldn't initiate) I was shy by then so he told me to kiss him at the end of the night. I did and it was beautiful.

These visits have continued and progressed to sex, he will come, be beautiful and spend the next week berating me in the telephone, lashing out and telling me I'm not special to him.

The gentleness I have displayed along with copious patience and love over the last 18 months are being met with phsycological abuse to a big degree.

It's as though he can't let anything be nice, he always has to put a negative spin on anything positive and it hurts me so much. Everyone we work with thinks he is strange and asks me so many questions about him ( they don't know what's going on behind the scenes) and all I do is get defensive as I am protective of him.

I stopped my directors from having a talk to him 2 weeks ago about his 'arrogant behaviour' in team meetings, as I told them he may just disappear if they do, and his disabled clients love him. He doesn't know I did that or there was a problem.

He told me in derogatory terms that all I am to him is a pair of t**ts, when I objected and told him how much it hurt me, he backed it up by saying that when my clothes are off, I'm a piece of meat and when they're on I'm me.

The first time we were sexually intimate I swear he was a virgin.. He was a nervous wreck. He says he doesn't need sex at all. We have done it 6 or 7 times now and he got better (relaxed wise) each time.

He would say the most beautiful things to me while intimate, go home and spend the next week being so Nasty and mysoginistic to me. He ended our 'arrangement' (as he calls it) weekly, before I would ask him to come back. I hung up the phone on our last conversation a week and a half ago and he will now not talk to me.

He has said our arrangement is over again. Were at a bit of a stale mate now but I love him, I miss him but I hate the way he makes me feel about myself.

Is this behaviour typical of Aspie men? I have mentioned asburgers to him a few times but he calls me a dumb b**ch, the C word and says I'm the most selfish b**ch he has ever met.

Please tell me what I can do ?

He might have Aspergers, but the verbally abusive things he says to you are not because of Aspergers.

This sounds very painful. He shouldn't treat you the way he does. Ultimately, you are the one who will decide whether to stay with him or not, but be aware that the way he is treating you is wrong. I know how hard it is to think of ending a relationship when you feel love for someone, but the way things are now is wrong.

Those Aspie men I have known best are gentle to everyone, both to friends and to romantic partners.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying so quickly. I've been confused as to whether verbal abuse was a part of Asperger's.

It is very painful indeed. He will apologise seldomly and tell me I'm a good person who deserves respect but hurt me the very next day.

Some of the things he says to me hurt me so much. Even more so now that things have been intimate. It's like he can't handle closeness so will lash out and attack me

Am I correct in thinking that he was consistent in treating you well before you began a sexual relationship?
It seems he has emotional issues in regards to the people with whom he has sex.
It seems likely that you connect sex with love, but for him, there is not such a connection. This must be painful for you, I know.
It seems that the sexual aspect of your relationship causes you temporary joy, in the moment that you are actually intimate with him, but also causes longer-lasting unhappiness, as sex itself for some reason results in him becoming more disrespectful and verbally hurtful.
I know what a powerful force strong feelings for someone can be. But does the temporary joy of the physical aspect of your relationship really outweigh the overall hurt?

Perhaps he has something psychological in addition to Aspergers. Aspergers does not explain the painful things he says, but maybe something else does. Although I know a lot about Aspergers/autism, I don't know too much about other psychological states, so I can't be more than vague on the subject.

Firstly, just letting you know that I have moved your thread to the adult section :)

As for your love interest, if he is that abusive towards you, then I would not recommend pursuing him further. Having AS is not an excuse to treat a loved one in such a way; and Ste11aeres is right; this is not typical of AS.

If he truly is a mysoginist, then he will never make you happy. I know how hard it can be to love someone who is so cruel towards you. It's not worth it. It's also possible that he may possess narcissistic tendencies; which could explain some of his behavior: I Love a Narcissist. Now What? | Psychology Today

I hope you find a resolution.

No he wasn't necessarily consistently treating me well. He was rely lovely until about June this year, when he said to me ' Ok if this is not about work, then I'm going to show you exactly who I am'
He said he had a Jeckyll and Hide side and from that moment he turned into a narcicistic type guy.

He spoke differently but I could see it was all an act. I could still see the soft gentle soul in him. He said he only acted nice because it was work, he said 'we all act at work'

He has since told me the other week that it's only me and his ex girlfriend who bring this out in him (if she existed) with all his contradictions and sexually nervousness who knows.

When he is physically with me, he tries to be the narcicist when he walks into my house but when he looks at me he seems to melt, just googles and kisses me.

His mother died when he was 17 which obviously would greatly affect anyone. He told me that when he was a kid he used to read encyclopaedias and has always been different. He watched quantum mathematics at my house once for over 1/2 hour whils sitting with his back to me.

I have seen 2 very different personas in him in one night (with facial changes). One is quite wide eyed, stubborn and frank. The other gentle and craving affection. He left his phone behind after laying in bed and telling me 'I shouldn't have even come, after 2 hours of being here.

He came back 1/2 hour later to pick up his phone, was soft and gentle (no wide eyes) and stayed another 2 hours.

I have a lot of experience with autism too like you, not Asburgers though, mine is more non verbal clients. And the personality disorders/ mental health aspect is out of my league

Ah thank you very much Vanilla :). I appreciate your guidance around navigating this site.

I will read the link to gain some insight. I'm still in shock as to how this lovely soul can switch so much.

My surgery last year was actually Brain surgery, I nearly died. Luckily I'm here and aesthetically no one can tell. What has hurt me the most out of all the terrible things that come out of his mouth now, is the pair of T's comment.

To think after seeing my journey and a lot of work pressure since April last year, someone could say something so cold to me.

And because he got me at my most vulnerable time in life. Why he is so malicious is beyond me.

I've heard of Bipolar commonly accompanying for many Aspies, maybe this could be?

Last edited:
Ah thank you very much Vanilla :). I appreciate your guidance around navigating this site.

I will read the link to gain some insight. I'm still in shock as to how this lovely soul can switch so much.

My surgery last year was actually Brain surgery, I nearly died. Luckily I'm here and aesthetically no one can tell. What has hurt me the most out of all the terrible things that come out of his mouth now, is the pair of T's comment.

To think after seeing my journey and a lot of work pressure since April last year, someone could say something so cold to me.

And because he got me at my most vulnerable time in life. Why he is so malicious is beyond me.

I've heard of Bipolar commonly accompanying asburgers, maybe this could be?
That's quite alright :)

My, that sounds rather intense. I hope all is well now.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about bipolar to answer that for you. My reasons for assuming narcissism, however, is that I've had much experience with dealing with narcissists. The trademark factor of malignant narcissism, is that they will switch between being nice, and being abusive, as a tactic to control a victim. This is so that you constantly remain in a state of confusion. By being nice occasionally, you may then come to the conclusion that their bad behavior is only due to their current mood; when in reality, them being nice might only be so that they can get away with continuing to abuse you. Keeping you in a constant state of confusion is a tactic known as "gas-lighting". They will also control you using guilt (blaming you for things that aren't your fault, or aren't worth sensationalising), by occasionally "rewarding" you, by being nice (ie. visiting you in hospital, or coming on very strong, and texting/ email you frequently, to get you hooked on them), then being nasty to you, so that you feel you need to earn their love once more (baiting you).

Common questions/ comments of victims of narcissism are:
  • "How could they do that to me?"
  • But they used to be nice, and they suddenly changed
  • I don't think they're abusing me, because sometimes they are really nice, and when they're nice, I really get along with them
  • They keep changing their story, or justifying something they did
  • I miss them (despite the abuse)
Of course, I'm only speculating here, but it seems to fit, with what you have shared.

Edit button is on the bottom, left, of the box you wish to edit :)

I edited it for you. If you have trouble on your phone in future, don't worry too much. Just explain, and people will be forgiving :)

Actually Vanilla, you may be right. I will research more on narcissism for sure.
I definitely do think asburgers has a role though, as he lives a very reclusive lifestyle, lack of eye contact, generally not engaging in team like situations, social awkwardness, reluctance to believe anything that doesn't have a scientific basis and quantum mathematical fascination.

I wonder if they can co exist. Did any of the narcissistic people you have come across display any other behaviours?
This man enjoys the adulation and attention if women (from behind a phone screen) but doesn't go close. That's why I'm thinking I've opened some kind of Pandora's box with him by pushing his intimacy boundaries.

Then again I've just read a bit about Cerebal narcissists not liking sex. Seeing women as madonnas/whores. Maybe I've made the switch (lol)

Actually Vanilla, you may be right. I will research more on narcissism for sure.
I definitely do think asburgers has a role though, as he lives a very reclusive lifestyle, lack of eye contact, generally not engaging in team like situations, social awkwardness, reluctance to believe anything that doesn't have a scientific basis and quantum mathematical fascination.

I wonder if they can co exist. Did any of the narcissistic people you have come across display any other behaviours?
This man enjoys the adulation and attention if women (from behind a phone screen) but doesn't go close. That's why I'm thinking I've opened some kind of Pandora's box with him by pushing his intimacy boundaries.

Then again I've just read a bit about Cerebal narcissists not liking sex. Seeing women as madonnas/whores. Maybe I've made the switch (lol)

I believe they can co-exist, as I have come across individuals, who I believe had both. AS is something you are born with, but NPD is a learned behaviour. Theoretically, if someone with ASD was exposed to NPD, they could in turn pick up the behavioral traits of a narcissist.

Also, if he doesn't like physical attention, it's possible he could be asexual perhaps?

Thank you so much for your insight Vanilla. Did the people you believe had both come across as very negative 'hard to please' people due to the combination of two such things?

You're welcome. I hope it was helpful. Yes, they did come across that way. Nothing you did for them was ever good enough, and it was always your fault. Not very nice to deal with.

New Threads

Top Bottom