• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Depression - Just Snap Out of It

Yet most of people would see me as pessimistic or bleak realistic, I don't think I'm depressed at all. And I don't mean to sound new age, it's just my observation.
That amount of anxiety and self doubt I have because of my AS isn't anything I'd deny, but it's not obstructing my willingness of try certain things. As I've lots of goals and ambitions in life, I do not meet diagnostic criteria of being woebegone. Of course because of my AS I'm painfully self conscious and disabled to attain certain tasks as I'd like to do, but I don't see it to be because of mental barrier, but a physical one, and I don't like to deliberately chain myself with doubts. Yes, I'm prone to get upset because of my constant tedium, but as I know myself really well, I can also prevent anything worse from happening. Even the fact that I dislike most of people and don't want to share my thoughts or life with about anyone, doesn't mean I'd not have a reason to live. It doesn't affect on my desires on my personal ambitions over my potential.

Only doctors that have sen me a lot have noted this, rest of them will want to diagnose me either way.

I don't think I'm a full on pessimist... I'm more likely a realist. If being realistic actually messes up so much it looks like pessimism, isn't there something inherently wrong with reality?

The problem isn't with reality but rather with how we are told to perceive reality: we're told that not being happy is both wrong and pointless.

Which I suppose is fine until you snap. And many do.

The problem isn't with reality but rather with how we are told to perceive reality: we're told that not being happy is both wrong and pointless.

Which, IMO is more dangerous if you consider that we want to treat and medicated people... to lie to themselves and live by that lie.

I'm all for living happy, but honestly... if the key to happiness if lying and deceiving myself I'm not to sure. And besides; if we're already living in a lie, why can't it be way more awesome, lol. I mean... I can think of a thousand things that would make life really amazing, and not to mention every day a new adventure full of awe. Maybe it's just me where I'm more a person who will be "If you're already doing X, why don't go the full 9 yards?"

Which, IMO is more dangerous if you consider that we want to treat and medicated people... to lie to themselves and live by that lie.

I'm all for living happy, but honestly... if the key to happiness if lying and deceiving myself I'm not to sure. And besides; if we're already living in a lie, why can't it be way more awesome, lol. I mean... I can think of a thousand things that would make life really amazing, and not to mention every day a new adventure full of awe. Maybe it's just me where I'm more a person who will be "If you're already doing X, why don't go the full 9 yards?"

I fully agree... It is society that oppresses our ability to live happily. Society's manufactured goals, social rules and laws oppress us from becoming our full being. Society tells us we are supposed to go about life in a certain way and any deviance from the norm is shunned.

I do sometimes get depressed, but I'm never told to "snap out of it" as you say.

I was severely depressed about 10 years ago. I had a bad marriage and debilitating tension headaches that manifested like migraines 5-6 days per week. I spent most days in bed because the slightest movement made me throw up, there was no relief from the pain unless I knocked myself out with drugs (which would last for about 16 hours per day) and I contemplated suicide a few times. Eventually my boss tired of all the sick leave I was taking and sent me to an industrial physiotherapist, who in turn referred me to a physio who was quite proactive. The one I had been seeing previously was very reactive, which just kept me dependent upon her for any quality of life. After I began to get better I realised that I had been depressed. I could also see dark clouds in my mind, in my peripheral vision, and if I stretched out my arms the clouds were just out of reach. When the stress starts building up in my life I feel pulled towards the clouds. I fight them, by getting more exercise and getting my focus off myself as much as possible. I work in a hospital so it's never been difficult to find someone else who is in a worse place than I am. When the stress reduces then the clouds move further away again. When I read somewhere that depression is never far away with AS, I could immediately relate to it. Interestingly, when I realised that I have AS and the last piece of the puzzle fell into place, those dark clouds disappeared from my mind. It's really difficult to stop focusing on one's own troubles when one has AS, since there is the natural tendency to self-focus anyway. I think that just feeds depression even more.

There's two reasons for depression: 1. An imbalance of chemicals in the brain. 2. There's an underline cause/reason (usually, stress/anxiety over something going on it your life or you're ill).

If it's from a chemical imbalance, then you need medication to treat it. You can't "snap out of it". If there's an underline cause/reason, you need to fix whatever is wrong. Or, finding ways to ignore it (that's what would be considered "snapping out of it"). I wouldn't recommend just ignoring it and waiting to "snap out of it" for many reasons. That's what I tried, when I had (what I thought was) depression. I didn't bother going to the doctor for it or any of the other weird problems I had. Everything just kept getting worse. I found out, months later, it was from Anaemia (from low iron deficiency). The symptoms of the Anaemia caused the depression, so all I needed to do was treat the iron deficiency.

Hi Daniel and everyone here -

I too felt like giving up many times. I think my depression and social anxiety were co-morbid, because right through elementary school I was totally nervous, and unable to interact with other children. I basically stood alone at recess and watched everyone. And yes, I was picked on occasionally, especially when I was "trying to play" with others, because I found it very hard to play like the rest of the neurotypical kids. Right through the earliest grades I was nervous all the time. My mom even was worried about me because I was constantly worrying! My only comfort zone was academic-type class situations where the teacher would ask what the answer is to what question. Though I was an excellent speller, my reading comprehension was poor, and is so today. I cannot remember what I read even after reading a six- to ten-line paragraph. When I was asked questions by the psychological test clinician, she noted I was not able to remember many details.
While in school I became very good at academics but I was not good at teamwork (cooking in a home economics group, for example) or in Phys. Ed. Working in a team, in lab projects, was extremely difficult for me; the others had to do the hands-on work. I would be slow and confused if I tried to contribute.
Anyway, I had gone through many hard knocks throughout my life and did some research on how to treat depression, anxiety, and even autism. It is possible, though it takes a long time to get a good plan. One plan does not fit everyone. I basically go gluten and dairy-free as much as possible, eat foods rich in choline (like soy lecithin and eggs), take omega-3 fatty acids for the brain and nervous system, vitamins B, C, D and other supplements as needed. If you have a thyroid malfunction this can be a huge contributor to mood issues. I would see a doctor if you have any thyroid issues or get a blood test for nutritional deficiencies. Kelp tablets are good for the thyroid.
As for me, I try to be as active as possible and do housework for my parents whom I live with, work out with weights, walk frequently, and follow a doctor-recommended nutritional guide like the ones in the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Drs. James and Phyllis Balch. I also use Cipralex each morning, from a doctor's prescription in Kamloops BC. Not everyone might want to use medication, though. St. John's Wort was not very effective for me.
After my dropout from the Pharmacy Technician program in Kamloops I was referred to a mood management group at the Royal Inland Hospital there. There I made some good friends in spite of my painful dropout disappointment. I wanted to stay in the program because I enjoyed the atmosphere there - I could relate to the people who attended!
Depression and anxiety are tough to deal with. I think we can learn from each other on this thread here. Taking bits and pieces here and there, and building a plan over time, seems like a reasonable approach.

Last edited:
well, you are not alone. Not something for which I am proud, but a secret that has torn me inside out, for a month over a year, minus or plus a few days, from today.

See this, please. This is embarrassing. Needless to say, I am empty inside, and I act like everything is fine, though inside everything has long since been dead. I've only ever told one person about this (in fact, ANOTHER Aspie - in Skype, a guy from another community), aside from the community of Quora (which even THEN, took A LOOOT of courage, and I don't wanna look back, honestly), and yet I don't want to forget it either.

ScreenShot 46.jpg

you will probably have to use the lightbox thing.

well, you are not alone. Not something for which I am proud, but a secret that has torn me inside out, for a month over a year, minus or plus a few days, from today.

See this, please. This is embarrassing. Needless to say, I am empty inside, and I act like everything is fine, though inside everything has long since been dead. I've only ever told one person about this (in fact, ANOTHER Aspie - in Skype, a guy from another community), aside from the community of Quora (which even THEN, took A LOOOT of courage, and I don't wanna look back, honestly), and yet I don't want to forget it either.

View attachment 5199

you will probably have to use the lightbox thing.
i know exactly how that felt.

I don't believe I've ever suffered from depression (definitely not diagnosed) but on the flip side of the "just snap out of it" thing...I have said that to people I know with depression without realizing how insensitive it seemed. From my standpoint, if I decide to do something, I do it, and if I decide I need to feel a different way, well, I do it. Everything is a matter of mind power to me, and that's why I just assumed people could just snap out of depression. I've been through a lot of messed up situations in my life, and I tell myself to snap out of it. I've sinced realized it's not that easy for everyone, and I don't know if this decision-making ability is common, but there's my thoughts.

I don't believe I've ever suffered from depression (definitely not diagnosed) but on the flip side of the "just snap out of it" thing...I have said that to people I know with depression without realizing how insensitive it seemed. From my standpoint, if I decide to do something, I do it, and if I decide I need to feel a different way, well, I do it. Everything is a matter of mind power to me, and that's why I just assumed people could just snap out of depression. I've been through a lot of messed up situations in my life, and I tell myself to snap out of it. I've sinced realized it's not that easy for everyone, and I don't know if this decision-making ability is common, but there's my thoughts.

I do not think "snapping out of it" is possible for most people, but I think I have learned how to better keep the depression at bay. I do not think I will ever be off my medications, though, and I am perfectly fine with that.

well I've never been diagnosed officially either. Then again, I've also never been diagnosed for a General Anxiety Disorder, but I am often assured by my own actions, fears, worries, and nervousness to the extreme, that I probably have it. Heck, my sister has it, though I will admit, it doesn't change my urge to instigate her.

doesn't mean I don't have it, it just means I've never gone to a doctor in inquiry.

If I don't go to a doctor to check for help, I will never know.

I exhibit all the traits though, that's for sure.

I'd have to rely on my parents to drive me to the doctor. I don't believe in driving. I don't want to fall off the side of a cliff, and I become distracted VERY easily.

I take anxiety medications though, but for other reasons, such as OCDs like picking ....parts of my body, not to be disgusting. Yes, I pick everything from ....up there to down there.

Last edited:
For me, there's no question that it is a combination of factors. Social isolation is very hard to bear. There's no question that this forum is vital for us all, since it helps fight the feelings of loneliness.

One thing that can be of benefit, though, is volunteer work. In many communities, there are centres where volunteer opportunities are present. Even simple, light jobs to help other people's lives can be of great benefit. One of the best tonics for a person's mental health is helping others where there is a need. When I was struggling in Kamloops someone suggested volunteer work. After some time I found out that I could do income taxes for free. One opportunity was where I found someone who was on detox in an alcohol and addiction centre, called the New Life Mission. One person had ten years' worth of unfiled income taxes! So, between attending therapy and going to a job club seminar at the Open Door Group in Kamloops, I had plenty of tax work to do on a volunteer basis. Plus, volunteer work looks good on a resume. Once I got to know that person, he was very happy to meet me and that I could do his delinquent tax returns for him. I was happy too, as it boosted my self-esteem also! I have good memories of this experience of making things better for this individual.

I am still using medication and am not likely to get off it for some time, but I believe volunteering is a good suggestion for many of us on this forum.

New Threads

Top Bottom