• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dealing With Food Issues

That worked, and had the side effect of not needing to drink water with pills. A lot of people spin out watching me swallow pills without water.
I learned how to swallow handfuls of pills with sheer determination and imagination. Skills of an addict. Not typically transferable.

I can’t seem to do the same thing with food though, especially if it smells strongly.

What is the noise canceling headphones version of smells? My therapist suggested a clothespin on the nose, but he’s nuts sometimes. Plus, I can’t stand the feel of wooden close pins.

This is what I need…

1672537679960.png

Certain textures make me want to "hurl" (I may have been subliminally influenced by the word "Surf" there!).

I like the flavour of fruit but I can't stand the texture of most fruit unless it's been kept in the fridge.

Everyone else refuses to put fruit in the fridge because they say it tastes better.

One of my worst nemese are canned potatoes. Again, don't mind the taste but, ick ick ick on the texture. Same with pears.

I tend to prefer savoury food. I like the taste and texture of meat but I don't like the knowledge of how it ended up on my plate :-(

Mashed potatoes had to be perfectly pureed when I was a kid or my gag reflex would kick in. This resulted in genuine heaving at the dinner table for which I was severely reprimanded. Like I was putting it on.

It's still a problem now. I made mashed potatoes for the Christmas dinner, and boy, were they mashed! Lol!

Rice pudding sets my gag reflex off a treat.

I'm glad I'm an adult now and can't be forced to sit over a cold plate of mashed or canned potatoes until I've consumed every last vomit inducing morsel. :confounded:

I learned how to swallow handfuls of pills with sheer determination and imagination. Skills of an addict. Not typically transferable.

I can’t seem to do the same thing with food though, especially if it smells strongly.

What is the noise canceling headphones version of smells? My therapist suggested a clothespin on the nose, but he’s nuts sometimes. Plus, I can’t stand the feel of wooden close pins.

This is what I need…

View attachment 93112
Interesting - wooden clothes pin on nose no thank you . I don’t like anything covering my face . Plus I would be afraid of a splinter from the clothes pin.

Interesting - wooden clothes pin on nose no thank you . I don’t like anything covering my face . Plus I would be afraid of a splinter from the clothes pin.
I've tried a wooden clothes pin on my nose and it's like being punched in the face forever!

I like the flavour of fruit but I can't stand the texture of most fruit unless it's been kept in the fridge.
I like Granny Smith apples.
I made mashed potatoes for the Christmas dinner, and boy, were they mashed! Lol!
I like to add an egg to the potatoes when I mash them. And I never use one of those silly masher things, they only do a half arsed job. I mash using a kitchen fork, when they're close to being done you add a splash more milk and whip them.

Certain textures make me want to "hurl" (I may have been subliminally influenced by the word "Surf" there!).

Everyone else refuses to put fruit in the fridge because they say it tastes better.

One of my worst nemese are canned potatoes. Again, don't mind the taste but, ick ick ick on the texture. Same with pears.

I tend to prefer savoury food. I like the taste and texture of meat but I don't like the knowledge of how it ended up on my plate :-(

Mashed potatoes had to be perfectly pureed when I was a kid or my gag reflex would kick in. This resulted in genuine heaving at the dinner table for which I was severely reprimanded. Like I was putting it on.

It's still a problem now. I made mashed potatoes for the Christmas dinner, and boy, were they mashed! Lol!

Rice pudding sets my gag reflex off a treat.

I'm glad I'm an adult now and can't be forced to sit over a cold plate of mashed or canned potatoes until I've consumed every last vomit inducing morsel. :confounded:
That’s funny same with me with fruits keep them on the fridge ! Also tomato’s in the fridge people hate that . I love it . Tomato is a fruit after all

I have never heard of those .
You've been ripped off. When I was a kid this is what everyone's grandmother always had in the house. I think they were designed to keep kids quiet for a little while, didn't work with me. Crunch!

I like Granny Smith apples.

I like to add an egg to the potatoes when I mash them. And I never use one of those silly masher things, they only do a half arsed job. I mash using a kitchen fork, when they're close to being done you add a splash more milk and whip them.
I agree Granny Smith apples only . Aren’t Granny Smith native to Australia as well ?

No apples are native to Australia, maybe we developed the breed but I'm not sure.

Granny Smith apples are a hybrid fruit I believe. They have to be made via cross pollination. But I agree, they are the best apples. I can't stand anything else when it comes to apples!

One of my grandmothers also had a Crab Apple tree, they're supposed to only be used in cooking but I loved them.

One of my grandmothers also had a Crab Apple tree, they're supposed to only be used in cooking but I loved them.
I used to eat them too, but I was told they were poisonous. There was a tree in the field next to our playground at school. They fell over the wall onto the grass. I ate them to show I was tough enough to eat sour things (I like sour things like sour sweets and citrus flavour). This apparently terrified my schoolmates who went to dob me in to the nearest dinner lady! I was subjected to a 5 minute ill informed rant that only served to cement my image as a total weirdo. Ahh what fun.

When I was a kid most people had fruit trees in their yards, we had 8 different types. A new family moved in across the road, fresh out from England.

The first week they moved in Andy came playing over our house, six years old. He didn't know what any of the fruit trees were, he'd never seen such things before. The only one that was in fruit at the time was the lemon tree, "Can I 'ave one?". We told him that he could have as many as he liked because they were lemons and you couldn't really eat them.

He had one anyway and he loved it, he spent the afternoon stuffing himself. That night he got really sick and the next morning his Mum came over to ask us what he'd eaten. We laughed and told her he was eating lemons. She wanted to know what we meant by "Eating Lemons" so we took her around the back yard and showed her the tree. "Ooh! Fresh lemons! Can I 'ave one please?".

New Threads

Top Bottom