• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dealing With Food Issues

BreaksOver

V.I.P Member
I have a lot of sensory issues around food. It's probably the biggest issue for me. I used to have emetophobia and dealt with an eating disorder for a few years. There are still some vestiges of both of those things, but they're pretty much dealt with thanks to a good therapist and healing [some] trauma. That's how I know that this is most definitely a sensory issue and not anything else.

Eating feels like a chore on my best days, and like an enemy on my worst. Chewing, food textures, outside sensory issues that add to the food issues, and eating around other people all contribute to making it feel like torture. I have to watch Youtube or listen to audiobooks/podcasts to get through eating. I don't know when I'm full and either eat too much or stop eating too early.

I go through "good" periods where I'm able to feel normal about my food. This is usually when I'm feeling relaxed and low stress. I can eat a wider variety of foods, I can eat exactly when I'm hungry and know when I'm full. I might still distract myself, but there is more wiggle room. I can distract myself with just music or a friend. Sometimes I can even eat out at a restaurant.

But it gets worse when my anxiety is high, or I experience a big/sudden change. The anticipation leading up to a change and then the change itself makes me more susceptible to meltdowns. In turn, my list of safe foods is shortened. It's difficult to manage. I never know how a day is going to go and if I'm going to eat enough.

What is your experience like with food? How do you cope with the difficulties that come up, if you have any? [edit] How do you expand your list of safe foods? I don't want specific food suggestions, just how you manage your difficulties with food.

Last edited:
I do have a lot of sensory issues with food. I am also afraid of throwing up, and I have issues with binge eating, which I developed after years of restrictive eating and overexercising. It was like once I discovered that food was ok to have, I couldn't control myself anymore :( Now I'm paying the price with my weight.

I'm not a picky eater, aside from texture sensitivities and allergies. I like to try new foods all the time. For expanding my list of safe foods, I will try a small sample of something, like if a friend or a family member is eating it. If I like it and I don't find the texture unbearable, that will become a new food that I enjoy.

As far as sensory issues go, there isn't much I can do about that, since foods with certain textures make me gag :/ I just can't eat them or I will throw up.
Same goes for foods that smell horrible. Like seafood that is overly "fishy," or some cheeses. I believe it's Romano cheese, that makes me nauseous if I get anywhere in scent range of it. Any other nasty-smelling cheese would also be too much. Whatever cheese my aunt used on her potatoes au gratin for Christmas, made me really nauseous. Sometimes eggs get to me too.

Have you ever tried EMDR? I did that for the fear of throwing up and it seriously helped me. Prior to EMDR my phobia was pretty debilitating. Not to tout it as a miracle cure or anything, because it's not, but it legitimately changed my life. It targets traumatic memories and helps your mind resolve them so they don't bother you as much. My fear stemmed directly from trauma which is why it was so effective for me.

I'm the same way where some textures make me gag! I also can't swallow pills, and I wonder if that has anything to do with sensory problems.

Sometimes the texture that I was fine with one moment, isn't fine after a few bites. Same with smells. I don't have a smell in particular that I can't stand, it just depends on how easily overwhelmed I am. Usually I enjoy really strong flavors/smells. But if I'm getting overwhelmed even my favorite smells become too much. I get headaches or nausea. It's...tiring.

Have you ever tried EMDR? I did that for the fear of throwing up and it seriously helped me. Prior to EMDR my phobia was pretty debilitating. Not to tout it as a miracle cure or anything, because it's not, but it legitimately changed my life. It targets traumatic memories and helps your mind resolve them so they don't bother you as much. My fear stemmed directly from trauma which is why it was so effective for me.

I'm the same way where some textures make me gag! I also can't swallow pills, and I wonder if that has anything to do with sensory problems.

Sometimes the texture that I was fine with one moment, isn't fine after a few bites. Same with smells. I don't have a smell in particular that I can't stand, it just depends on how easily overwhelmed I am. Usually I enjoy really strong flavors/smells. But if I'm getting overwhelmed even my favorite smells become too much. I get headaches or nausea. It's...tiring.

People keep recommending EMDR to me for PTSD. I've heard mixed reviews about it and I'm a little reluctant to try it, because it sounds scary lol... I think I'm eventually just going to have to try it though!

Pills get stuck in my throat! I have to drink a ton of water when I take my meds, and only one pill at a time.

Smells- any smells- make me nauseous when it's "that time of the month" lol. Especially seafood. But I normally love seafood.

That's honestly why I don't take pills. Can't stand the feeling of them stuck in my throat. Eugh *shudders*
People keep recommending EMDR to me for PTSD. I've heard mixed reviews about it and I'm a little reluctant to try it, because it sounds scary lol... I think I'm eventually just going to have to try it though!
It's...strange? Not much seems to be happening as you do it. But I started noticing the effects over the weeks. With my own PTSD I'd been unable to retrieve any memories beyond the past couple of years. But just recently I've been able to remember my childhood again. So it helped me unlock that. I guess the main thing is that you need to feel ready to revisit upsetting memories/potentially unlock more stuff. If you're not there yet, definitely don't do it. Feel free to PM if you want to talk more about it!

I always saw eating as a chore, and I eat a limited number of foods, but in the past couple years, I've been taking Gabapentin and that makes me want to eat.

That's honestly why I don't take pills. Can't stand the feeling of them stuck in my throat. Eugh *shudders*

It's...strange? Not much seems to be happening as you do it. But I started noticing the effects over the weeks. With my own PTSD I'd been unable to retrieve any memories beyond the past couple of years. But just recently I've been able to remember my childhood again. So it helped me unlock that. I guess the main thing is that you need to feel ready to revisit upsetting memories/potentially unlock more stuff. If you're not there yet, definitely don't do it. Feel free to PM if you want to talk more about it!
I have the problem that I cannot forget. And, some memories had carried disturbing emotional content. It is a mixed blessing as I have a superb memory for flavors.

I have a lot of sensory issues around food. It's probably the biggest issue for me. I used to have emetophobia and dealt with an eating disorder for a few years. There are still some vestiges of both of those things, but they're pretty much dealt with thanks to a good therapist and healing [some] trauma. That's how I know that this is most definitely a sensory issue and not anything else.

Eating feels like a chore on my best days, and like an enemy on my worst. Chewing, food textures, outside sensory issues that add to the food issues, and eating around other people all contribute to making it feel like torture. I have to watch Youtube or listen to audiobooks/podcasts to get through eating. I don't know when I'm full and either eat too much or stop eating too early.

I go through "good" periods where I'm able to feel normal about my food. This is usually when I'm feeling relaxed and low stress. I can eat a wider variety of foods, I can eat exactly when I'm hungry and know when I'm full. I might still distract myself, but there is more wiggle room. I can distract myself with just music or a friend. Sometimes I can even eat out at a restaurant.

But it gets worse when my anxiety is high, or I experience a big/sudden change. The anticipation leading up to a change and then the change itself makes me more susceptible to meltdowns. In turn, my list of safe foods is shortened. It's difficult to manage. I never know how a day is going to go and if I'm going to eat enough.

What is your experience like with food? How do you cope with the difficulties that come up, if you have any? Any tips or things that work for you? This can involve anything related to food difficulties, but I'm also interested in tips around finding new safe foods or expanding your list of safe foods.
Puree foods or if you want raw grate !them .

If your stomachs weak have either: papaya ,guava ,mango , pineapple or lychee the last two if you want really sweet!
Try to get fruit grown in your country and area if possible, its made for your immune system,avoid chocolate, honey,cheese,salmon these are purines ,too strong for your liver too cope with,especially non vegan chocolate ,has too much magnesium, same for honey and eggs ,the one if you think about it, are made for a baby which is forming its bones and muscles very rapidly, the other for an insect that is light and flies and and grows very! quickly ,have decaf tea, it helps your digestive artery ,stomach that takes a pounding from cholesterol and sugar,if you can very slowly!!! wean yourself off cane sugar,have wholewheat products vitamin b,helps your blood sugar stay balanced ,stuff yourself with veg again slow release sugar -zookeepers say vegetables are actually what wild fruit would taste like,so they give all the fruit eaters mainly vegetables

I always saw eating as a chore, and I eat a limited number of foods, but in the past couple years, I've been taking Gabapentin and that makes me want to eat.
I take mirtazapine every night and it helps me eat dinner. And go to sleep. I used to be on a lot of meds so I try to avoid them, but this one doesn't give me any side effects - aside from hunger and drowsiness, which work in my favor.

Puree foods or if you want raw grate !them .

If your stomachs weak have either: papaya ,guava ,mango , pineapple or lychee the last two if you want really sweet!
Try to get fruit grown in your country and area if possible, its made for your immune system,avoid chocolate, honey,cheese,salmon these are purines ,too strong for your liver too cope with,especially non vegan chocolate ,has too much magnesium, same for honey and eggs ,the one if you think about it, are made for a baby which is forming its bones and muscles very rapidly, the other for an insect that is light and flies and and grows very! quickly ,have decaf tea, it helps your digestive artery ,stomach that takes a pounding from cholesterol and sugar,if you can very slowly!!! wean yourself off cane sugar,have wholewheat products vitamin b,helps your blood sugar stay balanced ,stuff yourself with veg again slow release sugar -zookeepers say vegetables are actually what wild fruit would taste like,so they give all the fruit eaters mainly vegetables
I have a dietician (due to being in ED recovery) so I'm following her direction on what to try to eat. I disagree with a lot of what you've said, but to each their own. I think what I should have said was that I'm looking for tips on how to expand a list of safe foods. I can't just eat a papaya and suddenly it's a safe food. Maybe there's no surefire way to do it. It's frustrating to be stuck with only a few foods that don't make me gag.

I have a dietician (due to being in ED recovery) so I'm following her direction on what to try to eat. I disagree with a lot of what you've said, but to each their own. I think what I should have said was that I'm looking for tips on how to expand a list of safe foods. I can't just eat a papaya and suddenly it's a safe food. Maybe there's no surefire way to do it. It's frustrating to be stuck with only a few foods that don't make me gag.
Can i ask is this a public discussion forum where anybody can read or !was it a private email to you if not what i said will help someone and i wasnt pandering to you alone,if you want a sycophant go some where else

Yes, it's a public forum. That's why we're both able to express opinions, including ones that differ. That's the beauty of a discussion. :)

great topic. I don’t know the answer to this but since you already know, chips are my FAVvvvv. Salt and vinegar to be specific but sometimes I’ll have 3 bags beside me (all diff flavours) and eat from all 3 LOL ( why limit myself Haha) anyways .. I tend to binge and also don’t know when I’m full. I can eat a TON if it’s something I love. Because I love crunchy and salty things, I’ll have a bowl of baby carrots with lots of sea salt on them or a really crispy salad. Like the lettuce is CRISP , everything is just perfect. Nothing soggy (I hate that word haha.. soggy.. ) my brain actually doesn’t notice all that much that I’m not eating my usual go-tos. If that’s too healthy in the moment, I’ll bake some fries and put seasoning and vinegar on them. So I guess what I do when I need to take a break from my obsessions is pick other things that give me that same crunch factor .
On the days where I’m just grossed out by food and want nothing to do with it , I’ll either wait till I am hungry & in the meantime drink lots of water or make a smoothie .

I read you enjoyed EMDR and it helped you, that’s great to hear. I struggled with it due to not being able to identify my emotions . The therapist thought I was being difficult or disassociating but I’ve always been this way unless things are extreme & didn’t know at the time I’m undiagnosed with alexithyma & autism and had sensory issues beyond trauma .

Being a human is hard . Good for you for working so hard on your sensory struggles and your ED

Happy new year

Pills get stuck in my throat! I have to drink a ton of water when I take my meds, and only one pill at a time.
When I was little I didn't like brussels sprouts, but not eating what was put in front of you was not an option in our family. So Mum always gave me the smallest ones and told me to just swallow them whole instead of chewing them.

That worked, and had the side effect of not needing to drink water with pills. A lot of people spin out watching me swallow pills without water.

Any food that is white I like .And chips ( BBQ chips ,Salt and Vinegar)
@Chameleon In Recovery I did not know they have salt and vinegar chips everywhere. There are amazing salt and vinegar chips here made by Utz chips
I prefer malt vinegar on my French fries as well .
And plain crackers my favorite snack too .

I have since changed to some better eating habits . Instead of chips replacing them with cherry tomatoes and peppers, carrots .
Plus I like lots of black pepper and cayenne pepper .

Plus I prefer raw vegetables instead of cooked. Don’t eat meat except fish on special occasions.

My problem is if I like something I will eat in over and over and not change . Probably not healthy.

@Outdated yeah my mom was accommodating when I was little . Put at a certain point was fixed to eat everything

great topic. I don’t know the answer to this but since you already know, chips are my FAVvvvv. Salt and vinegar to be specific but sometimes I’ll have 3 bags beside me (all diff flavours) and eat from all 3 LOL ( why limit myself Haha) anyways .. I tend to binge and also don’t know when I’m full. I can eat a TON if it’s something I love. Because I love crunchy and salty things, I’ll have a bowl of baby carrots with lots of sea salt on them or a really crispy salad. Like the lettuce is CRISP , everything is just perfect. Nothing soggy (I hate that word haha.. soggy.. ) my brain actually doesn’t notice all that much that I’m not eating my usual go-tos. If that’s too healthy in the moment, I’ll bake some fries and put seasoning and vinegar on them. So I guess what I do when I need to take a break from my obsessions is pick other things that give me that same crunch factor .
On the days where I’m just grossed out by food and want nothing to do with it , I’ll either wait till I am hungry & in the meantime drink lots of water or make a smoothie .
Thanks for sharing. I've also found that smoothies help in the interim when I can't fathom eating. As time passes I'm getting better at identifying when I should eat/when I should stop eating. But it's so tough.

Also agreed, soggy is a gross word lol
I read you enjoyed EMDR and it helped you, that’s great to hear. I struggled with it due to not being able to identify my emotions . The therapist thought I was being difficult or disassociating but I’ve always been this way unless things are extreme & didn’t know at the time I’m undiagnosed with alexithyma & autism and had sensory issues beyond trauma
I'm sorry to hear your therapist was not understanding of your inability to identify emotions. I have also struggled with alexithymia. I still have a lot of trouble identifying emotions, but I mainly base them off of my physical symptoms. This can bring mixed results, but for me it's better than nothing. I hope you're able to find a therapist who can be more understanding and helpful when it comes to these things.
Being a human is hard . Good for you for working so hard on your sensory struggles and your ED
Thank you! I forgot about this thread until I saw your response. I've actually improved a lot since I posted this. Continuing therapy and working through these issues, along with learning to better accommodate my needs, has helped me immensely. I'm able to eat even more consistently than I was back in April. It's pretty mind blowing to me how much I've changed in the span of a couple of months. I have so much more hope for the future than I did when I first posted here. I'm excited to see how food will change for me in the coming year.
That worked, and had the side effect of not needing to drink water with pills. A lot of people spin out watching me swallow pills without water.
I'm impressed just imagining this!

Plus I prefer raw vegetables instead of cooked. Don’t eat meat except fish on special occasions.

My problem is if I like something I will eat in over and over and not change . Probably not healthy.
I'm the same way with raw vegetables. The crunch is necessary for me. And I also eat the same foods over and over. But that's why I have a dietician to help me make sure that I'm getting all the right nutrients when I'm stuck on the same 1-2 foods. I'm grateful for multivitamins and protein shakes for this reason

I'm the same way with raw vegetables. The crunch is necessary for me. And I also eat the same foods over and over. But that's why I have a dietician to help me make sure that I'm getting all the right nutrients when I'm stuck on the same 1-2 foods. I'm grateful for multivitamins and protein shakes for this reason

Same here it must be a texture thing. Oh yes the multivitamin are essential too . I have never tried shakes . My hands shake enough when stimming :D

The crunch is necessary for me.
This is also true for me. Perhaps a little too much, I have a mouth full of broken teeth. I am a big meat eater, but I like meat I can get my teeth in to. I like the flavours in Indian foods but I don't like the premasticated textures.

Broken teeth are really good at ripping meat apart. :)

This is also true for me. Perhaps a little too much, I have a mouth full of broken teeth. I am a big meat eater, but I like meat I can get my teeth in to. I like the flavours in Indian foods but I don't like the premasticated textures.

Broken teeth are really good at ripping meat apart. :)
That makes sense . Oh by the way been stuck on listening , to Surf music Ventures and The Shadows and AC/DC this week , Bon Scott era only!

New Threads

Top Bottom