• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I went through the same thing you're going through. My father referred to it as "being stuck in a rut".

The solution was simple: do more things. Instead of just more of the things I was ALREADY doing. At the time, video gaming was pretty much THE hobby, and I'd go to conventions when I can. But that really was it. Eventually it just got to me until something snapped and I had a Very Bad Day.

And all I really had to do was to give myself other things to explore and do. That's why I got into board gaming, art, and drones. And why I also started driving every day, not to reach a destination, but just to bloody well drive around.

Those on the spectrum have this tendency to do one thing (or a couple of things), over and over and over and over, and then wonder why they feel bad. Because it seems somehow uncomfortable to try new things. But spectrum or not, doing JUST one or two things over and over is very unhealthy, from a mental standpoint. That's a fast track to both boredom and depression (or other things). And, even worse, sometimes even within a specific hobby, many will have this laser focus on only a very specific PART of that hobby. In gaming, this manifests as playing just the same few games over and over (though these days, with Steam, it's easier than ever to NOT do that).

So that's the advice. Try something new. REALLY new. Whatever hobby or hobbies you have now... add another to the list. Something truly different from what you already have. And then make sure that, on a day to day basis, you do NOT just do one of them and exclude the others.

Also get exercise and drink water. Even if you have to force yourself. A lack of either has heavy effects, both physically and mentally... even if you cant feel them.

I have hit a major, major dilemma with my endless quest to cope with life.

I'm bored with it.

I've played every game in our Steam library, every game on my phone, I've watched nearly every stream on Vinesauce that has my favorite moments in them, I've watched every episode of Futurama, American Dad, Family Guy, Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites on Hulu because our cable's out and I can't get interested in any other shows,

My attention span as of recent really just amounts to clicking random things on a game I'm playing or just playing the same SEGA game over and over again till the D-Pad's worn out.

What the heck is wrong with me? Am I not challenging myself enough?
Do things that don't involve games, computers, or televisions. Get out. Travel. Hike. Exercise. Find a hobby. Read a book. Learn a skill.

That makes me sad. While I have issues, I find life, and especially our world, endlessly fascinating. And there sometimes are beautiful surprises in ambush. Took a hike near the Straits of Mackinac today and came across these beautiful orchids.View attachment 68150
I grew up in Michigan. The natural beauty is incredible. The winters were horrid. Where I grew up, the people were constipated.

So that's the advice. Try something new. REALLY new. Whatever hobby or hobbies you have now... add another to the list. Something truly different from what you already have. And then make sure that, on a day to day basis, you do NOT just do one of them and exclude the others.

Also get exercise and drink water. Even if you have to force yourself. A lack of either has heavy effects, both physically and mentally... even if you cant feel them.
So true! And I have found that varied interests seem to attract people with wide ranging skills and interests. My small group of friends have spurred each other on to more and more; whether it is boat building, to SCUBA, to learning whitewater paddling, we cross-fertilize each other and become interesting people.

That makes me sad. While I have issues, I find life, and especially our world, endlessly fascinating. And there sometimes are beautiful surprises in ambush. Took a hike near the Straits of Mackinac today and came across these beautiful orchids.View attachment 68150

Yellow Lady's Slipper orchid. Nice. Cypripedium parviflorum (Yellow Lady's Slipper): Go Orchids (northamericanorchidcenter.org) I have hiked many trails in Michigan, but for some reason always seem to miss the blooms.

I have hit a major, major dilemma with my endless quest to cope with life.

I'm bored with it.

What the heck is wrong with me? Am I not challenging myself enough?

Intelligent people are always in a state of boredom, EDIT, or perhaps a state of "knowledge hunger",...not sure how to describe it, but definitely a need to be stimulated mentally. I think it is, in many ways, why many of us have special interests and take deep dives into them,...a passing interest is never enough.

Examples: A "normal" person has a 20 gallon fish tank with a handful of fish they don't even know the names of and will often not notice a fish has died until a week later. Me: A 200 gallon fish and plant tank, a balanced ecosystem, no filters needed, know all the tiniest of details about the water chemistry, specific fish physiology, plant botany, etc. and will spend time daily observing...a few years later, get bored, and sell everything off.

A "normal" person buys a car for transportation. Me: I buy a "project car", rebuild the entire thing (engine, transmission, suspension, etc), learn to weld, learn about computer programming, take it out on the track and race it....a few years later, get bored, and sell everything off.

A "normal" person puts in a small garden behind the house to grow a few vegetables, and the plants seem to grow despite the neglect. Me: I get into the botany, the nutrients, the growth stimulants, the programmable irrigation system,...and grow massive, "mutant" vegetables.

I could go on and on here, but I have had many special interests, sometimes more than one at a time,...just to keep my mind stimulated.

Last edited:
Intelligent people are always in a state of boredom.

I don't think so.
Boredom is a lack of interest, inability to find subjects/activities rewarding.

Delving deeply into subjects is the opposite of lack of interest.

I could agree with a modified version of your statement.
Possibly this>
Intelligent people go to great lengths to avoid boredom.

Intelligent people are always in a state of boredom.

I don't think so.
Boredom is a lack of interest, inability to find subjects/activities rewarding.

Delving deeply into subjects is the opposite of lack of interest.

I could agree with a modified version of your statement.
Possibly this>
Intelligent people go to great lengths to avoid boredom.

If this is your working definition of "boredom", I would certainly agree,...but one may also describe "a lack of interest, inability to find subjects/activities rewarding" as one of the signs of a depressive condition. I would rather say that I am in a state of "knowledge hunger", whatever that is. I will typically "exhaust" a topic or interest, then quickly move onto the next thing. I get very "figgity" and impatient with others and myself if I am not engaged mentally,...so within this context, I get "bored" easily and actively seek out things to do and/or research.:)

Last edited:
"Knowledge hunger" is certainly a more positive
way of describing the state of mind/feeling,
than "boredom."

My life is impossible to live.
You know how my day started?

I literally have just woken up and out of nowhere Maddog starts on about how last night we had a fight that was so bad that he ended up breaking down my bedroom door off the hinges, destroyed my galaxy projector and put a crack in my SEGA Genesis, and it all started because he expected me to be able to donate plasma at the BPL plasma center near us the next day, when in fact I'm banned for life because I failed too many times.

That was something that happened completely out of my control and he holds me responsible for it, directly, as if I got myself banned on purpose. I even went down there when it happened in the past, and recorded the whole thing on my phone to play back for him when I got back to the hotel room, and he still things I choreographed the whole thing.

I am now directly convinced that my life is rigged to be impossible to live. Now I am certain that the universe has it in for me and personally wants me to suffer for as long as possible and there's nothing I can ever do to stop this! Pain is the only thing I'm familiar with anymore. Bad luck is the definition of my life. And there's no escape. None at all.

I'm so burnt out.

I know the choice of music is a little ridiculous because it's from a game, but just listen to it; the tone of the music is enough to speak my entire post here for itself because I can't even write what's happening to me right now; that's how bad it is right now.

By the way, it's because of Elite: Dangerous. That game has destroyed my family. If you're wondering how, I don't know how either.

If you need to know just how much of an effect that game is having on me, just look here.

Attachments

• 20210817_120027.jpg
    20210817_120027.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 74

New Threads

Top Bottom