• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

Star wars & Philosophy... I read way too much of those books in that *insert popculture thing* & Philosophy series.

Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Kiss of Death. Can't wait for the next one.

Speaking of "reading," have you had a chance to check out any of my stories yet?? There's a new one that'll be coming probably in the next day or so...Hawke is going to say to Dom, "Dom...if the FIRM wanted me to have a wife, they would have assigned me one!!!" What Hawke doesn't know is that Michael heard that statement...and sets out to make it a reality. :)

Speaking of "reading," have you had a chance to check out any of my stories yet?? There's a new one that'll be coming probably in the next day or so...Hawke is going to say to Dom, "Dom...if the FIRM wanted me to have a wife, they would have assigned me one!!!" What Hawke doesn't know is that Michael heard that statement...and sets out to make it a reality. :)

Yah I have started a couple of them but I don't remember which ones off the top of my head but when I finish them I will let you know. Computer reading is sometimes hard for me. But once i finish one I will let you know what I think.

51YlZBe81aL.jpg

As for myself, since it's summer I am trying to find reference material for my obsession of making herbal medicines. I've gotten over a dozen library books in the past few weeks but have found one I love called "The Complete Medicinal Herbal" by Penelope Ody. I decided it was good enough to buy. Been reading a lot of blogs online and watching youtube to absorb as much as I can while there is no school going on.

Has anyone read any fiction where the author refers to plants and herbs for magical, or medicinal uses? An example would be the Harry Potter series where several herbs are used for potions and magic. If anyone knows of any books like that, let me know. I'd definitely be interested. There is also one TV series of mysteries,that was based on books by Ellis Peters called "Cadfael" About a Benedictine monk. He solves mysteries by looking at clues which generally involve some species of plants. So let me know if you know of any other authors that do this.

51OkrQMjBgL.jpg

The classic pulp magazines of the early twentieth century are long gone, but their action-packed tales live on through the work of legendary storyteller Robert E. Howard. From his fecund imagination sprang an army of larger-than-life heroes–including the iconic Conan the Cimmerian, King Kull of Atlantis, Solomon Kane, and Bran Mak Morn–as well as adventures that would define a genre for generations. Now comes the second volume of this author’s breathtaking short fiction, which runs the gamut from sword and sorcery, historical epic, and seafaring pirate adventure to two-fisted crime and intrigue, ghoulish horror, and rip-roaring western.

Kull reigns supreme in “By This Axe I Rule!” and “The Mirrors of Tuzan Thune”; Conan conquers in one of his most popular exploits, “The Tower of the Elephant”; Solomon Kane battles demons deep in Africa in “Wings in the Night”; and itinerant boxer Steve Costigan puts up his dukes of steel inside and outside the ring in “The Bulldog Breed.” In between, warrior kings, daring knights, sinister masterminds, grizzled frontiersmen–even Howard’s stunning heroine, Red Sonya–tear up the pages in stories built to thrill by their masterly creator.

And in such epic poems as “Echoes from an Anvil,” “Black Harps in the Hills,” and “The Grim Land,” the author blends his classic characters and visceral imagery with a lyricism as haunting as traditional folk balladry. Lavishly illustrated by Jim and Ruth Keegan, here is a Robert E. Howard collection as indispensable as it is unforgettable.

The Dresden Files starting with the first one....we shall see. I liked the tv show for the one and only season it was on... poor show.

I am currently reading two books. "Solomon" by Mathew Prior published in 1718 and the "Canturbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer. The first is a real book and the second is is e-book on my IPad. I prefer to read traditional books but I don't have a hard copy of Chaucer.

Dangerous Instincts: How Gut Feelings Betray Us <---- A wonderful read for any Aspie although it has absolutely nothing to do with Asperger's.

Since we rely heavily on intellect, logic & reasoning, I feel vindicated. Written by a seasoned FBI profiler, it deconstructs & warns people NOT to rely on so-called intuition. I'd rank it near the top of the most influential (on me) books I've ever read. Women especially get encouraged from their youth to rely on their intuition & that it is somehow magically (due to possessing X X chromosomes, presumably!) reliable.

As Aspies, we're taught that we have a deficit because we use our intellect & not intuition to negotiate social situations. This book reveals (based on solid evidence; not theory or opinion) that we haven't gotten it altogether wrong.

Getting ready to start "Colin Clouts Come Home Againe" by Edmund Spenser originally published in 1595.

9780812697308.zoom.1.jpg

Still reading this... not really making a lot of progress. But add in that I'm not a regular/avid reader and that due to current stress my attention span is out of the window (which I might go look for since I'm next to an open window), I have reasons why I'm not going through it that fast. It's a fun read though

Hey Butterfly_Lady do you know if there is a copy of that book for nooks and such? I think it would be interesting to read. I don't normally read non-fiction except for wanting to learn more about certain mental health stuff that I am interested in for my education but this book seems of personal interest to me and I was curious if you knew if it could be accessed electronically?

on topic: I am still reading the Dresden Files now on book three the print is so small its taking me a long time to get through this series. But I am hoping to get htrough it soon and start on the Anita Blake novels again. As I am waiting for the next book in one of my series to come out...sigh waiting is so hard sometimes.

New Threads

Top Bottom