• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

The Lucifer Effect - Philip Zimbardo
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

51FDNP8OH4L.jpg
The_God_Delusion_UK.jpg

I would recommend both - but especially "The Lucifer Effect". It's one of the best books I've ever read and it will actually change your mind on humanity and what's good and evil.

7783669732_6b50f34705_z.jpg

I read part of this for school once but I've never read it all the way though before. I was partially interested in reading the whole thing since it's one of the books that the monster reads in Frankenstein (being non-religious, I approach Paradise Lost as being kind of like a fantasy novel, Michael Moorcock has mentioned it as an influence, Neil Gaiman and other people probably have too).

I think it may have influenced my choice for my current avatar pic, which actually comes from a Polish movie poster for Fatal Attraction:

Fantastic Polish movie posters of well-known American films | Dangerous Minds

Beauty and Sadness
by Yasunari Kawabata

kawabata_beauty_l.jpg

I've had the book for years now. But, I never touched it until this morning. I really like it so far.

7783669732_6b50f34705_z.jpg

I read part of this for school once but I've never read it all the way though before. I was partially interested in reading the whole thing since it's one of the books that the monster reads in Frankenstein (being non-religious, I approach Paradise Lost as being kind of like a fantasy novel, Michael Moorcock has mentioned it as an influence, Neil Gaiman and other people probably have too).

I think it may have influenced my choice for my current avatar pic, which actually comes from a Polish movie poster for Fatal Attraction:

Fantastic Polish movie posters of well-known American films | Dangerous Minds

I really liked Frankenstein, although it was unbearably sad in parts.

Latin for Birdwatchers - a guide to meanings and origins of scientific names of birds and the lives of famous ornithologists.
The Red Dahlia by Lynda la Plante

Slowly trying to read "Mystic River" by Dennis Lehane. It's so hard for me to finish fiction. But it's so good so far. As usual, makes the movie look crappy by comparison.

Also just cracked some interesting psychology books simply titled "Hatred" and "Humiliation," by Willard Gaylin and Wayne Kostenbaum, respectively. I love learning about peoples' minds (especially deviant ones).

Okay, it's an audiobook, but I'm currently listening to Them: Adventures With Extremists by Jon Ronson. It's read by the author, who has the loveliest voice. He's also one of the most brilliant journalists I've ever encountered...I have no idea how he gets into the crowds he does. The book is pretty much what it sounds like--he talks a lot with various groups of "extremists," from Muslim Supremacists to the likes of Alex Jones, other conspiracy theorists, et al. His thesis is interesting, that those we consider "extremists" themselves consider everybody else to be extremists.

IContainMultitudes , have you ever read it? It seems like it would be right up your alley.

No, I've never read that, I'll keep it in mind though.

Okay, it's an audiobook, but I'm currently listening to Them: Adventures With Extremists by Jon Ronson. It's read by the author, who has the loveliest voice. He's also one of the most brilliant journalists I've ever encountered...I have no idea how he gets into the crowds he does. The book is pretty much what it sounds like--he talks a lot with various groups of "extremists," from Muslim Supremacists to the likes of Alex Jones, other conspiracy theorists, et al. His thesis is interesting, that those we consider "extremists" themselves consider everybody else to be extremists.

IContainMultitudes , have you ever read it? It seems like it would be right up your alley.

Two:

The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (The Bible)

Android Karenina (Strange version of the classic..)- this one is more of a: If I want to read fiction i'll read it when i'm in the mood but otherwise...

I'm presently reading two books, Phallos: Sacred Image of the Masculine by Eugene Monick, and Deliver Us from Evil by J.W. Sawyer. The former is written by a Jungian Analyst and discusses the the importance of the integration of the phallos archetype into the lives of men, for their well being. The latter is a casebook of true stories of demonic possessions. Both really good!

The Lucifer Effect - Philip Zimbardo
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

51FDNP8OH4L.jpg
The_God_Delusion_UK.jpg

I would recommend both - but especially "The Lucifer Effect". It's one of the best books I've ever read and it will actually change your mind on humanity and what's good and evil.

I absolutely loved the interview on public radio Zimbardo did, a couple of years ago IIRC. It made my hair stand on end.

Iron Age Communities In Britain, B.W. Cunliffe, and Prehistory, The Making of the Human Mind, by Colin Renfrew.

Do you recommend these titles? Are they pitched at lay people or is this professional reading?

I'm rereading Catch-22, by Joseph Heller.

A long-loved favorite. I loved the style of the book, and I think my ability to appreciate Infinite Jest was born from my love for this book. I had to stop reading it after I realized I could quote entire conversations from it (years ago).

I'm working through Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Clinicians (by three authors who really don't care for the DSM-V and say why), and Data Science for Business (work reading, but more fun than I expected). And some others for when I need truths, not just facts.

My arm has been twisted and I am now reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.
Have you read "Wind Up Bird Chronicle"? It's my favorite of his. After reading a summary of 1Q84 and talking the friend who introduced me to Murakami, I didn't even bother starting it.
Right now I'm reading through basically all of Neal Asher's excellent Sci-Fi works.

Recently purchased 3 paperboacks for a friend who doen't like ereaders: Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon" and Wiliam Gibson's "Spook Country" and "Zero History".

Have you read "Wind Up Bird Chronicle"? It's my favorite of his. After reading a summary of 1Q84 and talking the friend who introduced me to Murakami, I didn't even bother starting it.
I think I started it but never finished it..I wanted to pick it up again but I seem to have lost my copy! I did read Kafka on the Shore which was...okay, I guess. My friend recommended 1Q84 to me (actually, I think he introduced me to Murakami as well) so I'm giving it a go. I'm liking it so far.

New Threads

Top Bottom