• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

Dante's Divine Comedy, Euclid's Elements (oi!), Euripides Andromache, Homer (Iliad)

@Streetwise - thanks for the tip, just downloaded an excerpt to see how it reads. I am interested in the holocaust and ww2, for various reasons.

@Kit - thanks for the tip too! sounds like a fun read, hadnt heard of it although I generally keep an eye out for reads involving animals

@OkRad - good for you! I started the divine comedy sometime back but didnt finish, I am still hoping to do that in italian someday. I am a big fan of the illiad - I was really into reading it in various translations in english and german a few years back - my favorite: alexander pope's translation.

@Streetwise - thanks for the tip, just downloaded an excerpt to see how it reads. I am interested in the holocaust and ww2, for various reasons.

@Kit - thanks for the tip too! sounds like a fun read, hadnt heard of it although I generally keep an eye out for reads involving animals

@OkRad - good for you! I started the divine comedy sometime back but didnt finish, I am still hoping to do that in italian someday. I am a big fan of the illiad - I was really into reading it in various translations in english and german a few years back - my favorite: alexander pope's translation.

Very awesome! I hope you do finish Dante! It's a long haul. I am not finished yet so I hope I can plow on. I like Pope's Iliad, too. So creative! I am a Lit Nerd and Aspie so I did learn Greek in order to read Homer's Iliad in the Greek. That is obviously a special interest. So I would encourage anyone in love with Homer to learn Greek :) But I know that would be like a person who's special interest is minerals and suggesting I get an M.A in geology! Heee!

Sapiens by Yuval Hoah Harari Or: A brief history of humankind.

About a quarter of the way through reading it. Anthropologically it's facinating, dealing with the history of the human race from it's early beginnings. Time will tell when I finish it what my impression is.

Last edited:
@OkRad - *wow* that will be great, reading it in the original! Doubt I will ever manage that :) but I believe in me and Dante!

@Mia - loved Sapiens, found it thought provoking and exciting. In a class of its own for me, together with jared diamonds 'guns, germs and steel' and 'factfullness' by Hans Rosling (and probably a couple more ;-))

I'm trying to get through: A People's History of the United States, by Howard Zinn

I'm half way through and underestimated how intense it would be, so I'm on pause at the moment...

Empire of the Summer Moon

upload_2020-12-24_8-48-16.png
[I don’t know who edited my post to include a picture of the book cover and underline the title.
I presume it was a mod, but I just want to say thank you.]

Last edited:
Just finished the midnight library by Matt Haig.

Fab-u-lous! Absolutely loved it.

Started empire of the summer moon reccommended above - good read, very interesting insights but the torture and rape bits are almost a bit much for me.... incredible, how resilient people can be

I'm trying to get through: A People's History of the United States, by Howard Zinn

I'm half way through and underestimated how intense it would be, so I'm on pause at the moment...

Follow that with Indigenous Peoples' History by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz.

I got quite a few books for Christmas, so first book I’ve been reading is
Hatchepsut: The Female Pharaoh by Joyce Tyldesley

magnifico.jpg

Very interesting book. Btw if you have played Assassin's Creed 2; the part where you save Lorenzo's life from the Pazzi is very accurate from what happened in real life; obviously there were not assassins nor templars imvolved.

@Streetwise - I did finish it, takes quite a bit for me to stop reading a book I've started. Also know very little about native american culture and found it eye opening to learn more about the comanches.

@Streetwise @Ylva - *ha* yes, Wikipedia is a constant companion whenever I watch TV or read - always looking up stuff from a village over a type of rock or a politician mentioned ..... definitely my go to for a quick first dive into a topic. Bit of a rabbit hole, though (for example while watching the crown I think I wikied pretty much all the royal familly's third cousin's dogs....)

Just zoomed through "a snowballs chance in hell" by JD Kirk (crime), listening to yuval harari "homo deus" and started "pachinko" by Min Jin Lee
Thanks @Aeolienne and @Owliet for the tips - just downloaded the samples and added them to my longlist ;-)

New Threads

Top Bottom