• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

Living Successfully With Screwed Up People
by Elizabeth B. Brown
upload_2016-1-1_14-12-21.jpeg

I suppose since I finished it by now, it doesn't count as "current," but...I listened to the audiobook version of Jon Ronson's So You've Been Publicly Shamed. It did not disappoint, neither the book itself nor Mr. Ronson's reading of it. I think anyone who has Internet access should be required to read it, but he also delves deeply into the past history of public shaming. As always he is remarkably observant yet self-effacing at the same time. Very thought-provoking indeed.

I'm technically still reading Edith Wharton, but her prose is so languorous and pleonastic and I don't care what happens to any of her characters. I'm supposed to have finished it, so I've already started on House of Solomon, which is better written anyway.

Currently I'm rereading "The Story of the Trapp Family Singers" by Maria von Trapp. The last new book I read was "The Glass Sword" by Victoria Aveyard. I loved The Glass Sword and I can't wait to read it again (my mom borrowed it and she is a slow reader).

I can't even tell. I'm partway through a book on popular mathematics, three different books about the British Royal Family, and a biography of Norton I, Emperor of the USA.

The dancers at the end of time .

and trying to get into being and nothingness but keep putting it down , cant get into it and don't know if it's really worth the considerable effort of reading it properly.

Hiedeggers: being and time has been on my reading list, so maybe I will read this instead.

I just finished reading a bunch of short stories written by Rod Serling for his Night Gallery show. I also read his three stories from Season to be Wary. It's too bad that he died before being able to write a full novel, though I'm not sure it would have been that great, though I do love Serling's work. It's just that his stories can be a bit heavy-handed in the social and political ideas that they present and thus can also be a bid redundant. Still, I love all things Serling.

Currently reading:
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke
The Myth of Self-Esteem by Albert Ellis
Eating Animals by Jonathan S Foer

The Myth of Self-Esteem by Albert Ellis
This sounds interesting. How would you describe it?

It's just that his stories can be a bit heavy-handed in the social and political ideas that they present and thus can also be a bid redundant. Still, I love all things Serling.
I suspect shorter works in general tend either to be anvilicious, or to not have very much to say at all. That's not to say that shorter fiction isn't as good, but there's just not as much room for nuance.

This sounds interesting. How would you describe it?

Well, I'm only on the first chapter, and I'm reading it slowly in order to allow certain concepts to sink in. But, from what I've gathered so far, the self can't be rated because it's too complex. Who we are, who we could ever be (our choices, our experiences, etc) are too vast and unpredictable to ever be simplistically rated as good or bad. The idea of self-esteem attaches our value of self to how our actions/decisions are perceived by others/how they play out in the world. It's externally focused and wholly dependent upon the external. Self-acceptance, unconditional self-acceptance is stressed in this book so far. That is, you accept who you are simply because you exist. Good actions don't make you a good person. Bad actions don't make you a bad person. You can always choose to take different actions in the next moment. You are neither good nor bad nor anything in between. You just are, and your value exists because you exist.

Have just started reading 'Psych of The Living Dead: THE WALKING DEAD PSYCHOLOGY'

A very interesting read. Delves into the psychology of the characters and the situations on the tv show/graphic novel series 'The Walking Dead'. It has input from numerous authors and examines the true idea of zombies and the apocalypse. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the show or that particular genre.

3442340.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpg

Have just started reading 'Psych of The Living Dead: THE WALKING DEAD PSYCHOLOGY'

A very interesting read. Delves into the psychology of the characters and the situations on the tv show/graphic novel series 'The Walking Dead'. It has input from numerous authors and examines the true idea of zombies and the apocalypse. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the show or that particular genre.

3442340.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpg
Just bought it, haven't had a chance to read it yet!

I'm finding more time to read again (*yay*) so thought I'd boost this thread :)

What are you all reading just now? Have you read my recently reads? Like?Dislike?

Ken Follet: the evening and the morning (prequel to pillars of the earth) YAS! Binged all 700+ pages alternately on my kindle and on audible.
Val McDermid: Karen Pirie Series. Pretty good escape reads, bit unsure about her attitude towards diversity - pretty white, cis, hetero.....

You?

Read a bit of Hasidic tales of the Holocaust by Yaffa Eliach
It's up and down, thinking covid restrictions are hard or a prison ,no supporter of the Palestinians would ever say the Hasidic Jews were any good, so you've got to be on the side of jews to be interested.

New Threads

Top Bottom