• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cure autism vs leave us alone - are they both wrong?

Ok, let's use the OS analogy.

The operating system analogy is flawed, because unlike a computer and its operating system we cannot "upgrade" or replace our "computer" (mind) for one that is better, different or more in line with what the majority are using. We're stuck with it as it is.

We also can't pick and choose when it comes to something like this, because it's a whole package, so to speak and as someone else above pointed out. I also don't believe that if by some miracle I were to wake up one morning without this condition, that I would literally become another person. Who I happen to be at this point in time is not something that was set in stone when I was born; people change over time, as all things do, and I don't think that Asperger's Syndrome defines who I am. I would still be the same person if it vanished and, what's more, I believe that I would actually be a BETTER person if it did.

A "cure" (or treatment) should be available for those who want one, and if one were available I'm sure that many would take advantage of it, not being overly concerned about being transformed into someone they don't recognise.

It seems there's two side to the debate.

Cureists who want to cure the disease of autism as they see it.

People with autism who think we are fine as we are, so just leave us alone. Autism is not a disease.

These two camp seem irreconcilable at first, but I got thinking and it seems to me they are both flawed, and that the flaw comes not from the reality of autism, but from a single term being used to describe both our neurology, and the problems that many autistic people have.

Imagine if being black and sickle cell anaemia had the same name (hope that's not offensive, I couldn't think of another example).

If we had a word to describe our neurology, and another for our problems, would anyone mind people trying to cure our problems?

But if they did the equivalent of trying to cure us of being black, society would understand our outrage, as it has obvious parallels.
The predisposition of African descendents to the sickle cell gene is actually something positive in that those with the trait are not vulnerable to malaria (a mosquito borne infection).

You are right in that both camps are off the mark considering that the current research into aspergers and autism disorders are indicating a physiological cause for symptoms of autsim.

Temple Grandin, in her book, the Autistic Brain, explores this possibility, along with cutting edge insights made possible with high resolution mapping of the brain.

The "disease" here, to the "curists" school of thought is actually a brain that has developed differently from the norm. You can't sure a person with detached hemispheres of the brain, so why should we be looking for a cure for an overdeveloped amygdala and underdeveloped pre frontal cortex?

There is a middle ground. Particularly in areas of addressing the symptoms of autism, and providing a way to cope with regular life despite these difficulties. Chief among which, is the leverage on the skills the aspie has to offer.

Many of us here are "high functioning" but obviously still struggle greatly in life. Those on the more severe end of the spectrum struggle even more than we do, so I do believe if there was a treatment to increase their functioning, it'd be a positive thing.
i am low functioning autistic and was severely classic autistic up until my late twenties [i am now classified as moderate classic autistic],i had severe challenging behavior constantly and i ended up sectioned for 4 months because of it in a secure intellectual disability hospital,i was non verbal up until my late twenties to,i relied on makaton,PECS,behaviors and a communication aid to speak.
up until january last year i was supported 2-1 [meaning i had to have two support workers at any one time,including night.

i also have had lifelong severe but currently stable epilepsy which is said to be associated with LFA especially.
getting to the point,would i take a cure to make me HFA?
no,because i like being in my own rich,colourful world and being oblivious to human beings and the world itself,i like my unique visual perception of how i understand the world visually, i like my super rigid thinking and routines, but i also like advocating for people who are more LFA than myself,as the guys i used to advocate for in residential services were like myself and deeply besotted with their own world and like myself cant function without very significant support,to take them out of it would make them a very different person-it wouldnt be them.

i hate it when people feel that because we are LFA,we need curing, they dont understand how deeply so many of us would be against a cure because you would be changing our lives and taking us out of a safe world that we have only ever known,we dont all feel disabled because its all we have ever known and we dont relate to other humans in order to compare ourselves and make a opinion on it.

i could write more but im in a rush to go to my dads.

Last edited:
With my view of autism as a neurodevelopmental disorder you're born with, there is no way to cure it.
But being able to adequately reduce or remove some of the symptoms, whether by medication or other interventions, would be awesome. I like some aspects of my ASD quite a lot. My attention to detail and my semi-photographic memory, for instance. I wouldn't want to lose those. But if somewhere in the distant future a safe method would be available to remove my social anxiety and my sensitivity to sound, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

This post has me thinking for that last couple day and now I really firmly believe that NO, would should not be cured.

We seem only to be tormented from outside sources.

Remember when NTs devised the plan to try to cure gay people. Over and over they tortured them and told them they were ill. ANy depression or drinking etc was because they were tormented so much.

We are in that category. If there were not so many harsh elements in our world and people expecting us to be what we are not, we would not even have many of a secondary troubles. My food troubles, I am sure, is an environmental factor made by NTs. I am sure, too, that our sensory overload, depression and self harm are from living in the NT world.

That means we are not "sick" and do not need a cure. That means that we must find ways to stay away from NTs and their cures and find our own. How can it be that an "illness" goes away when I am safely away from NTs??

Further, that this is not a disease is evident by the fact that we are not intrinsically internally tortured by our autism, like perhaps a person with schizophrenia is tormented internally. Ours is from the outside, pressing in.

Ours comes from the NT world and NT people and all the things they have created.

No we don't need a cure. We should breed like rabbits till there are more of us and less of them. Then WE can create a peaceful world where rocking, stimming, not talking or smiling, etc would be perfectly OK.

And if someone had depression or other difficulties, we surely would not shock them or drug them, but just get them in a calm cool place for a day.

Last edited:
Sadly it seems there's always some social group fixated on some form of social engineering.

Which usually translates into a will to fix what isn't really broken. :eek:

There's not going to be a quick fix or cure for brains like mine, not in my lifetime anyways. That's well beyond the scope of human understanding at the moment and it's very likely going to stay that way for centuries to come.

On the other hand, if there was such a thing that could alleviate the social problems and other "deficits" that I'm burdened with while being able to keep the "abilities" I currently have then yeah, you better believe I'd be the first in line for it. It's only now that everyone's slowly beginning to realize that ASD is a thing and society's still firm as stone in their beliefs about it, so anything to get a jumpstart and actually make some progress in this life is a plus in my book.

People with autism who think we are fine as we are, so just leave us alone. Autism is not a disease.

These two camp seem irreconcilable at first, but I got thinking and it seems to me they are both flawed, and that the flaw comes not from the reality of autism, but from a single term being used to describe both our neurology, and the problems that many autistic people have.

Imagine if being black and sickle cell anaemia had the same name (hope that's not offensive, I couldn't think of another example).

If we had a word to describe our neurology, and another for our problems, would anyone mind people trying to cure our problems?

But if they did the equivalent of trying to cure us of being black, society would understand our outrage, as it has obvious parallels.
When I was first diagnosed with Asperger's I believed it was another "label" to add to my list of diagnosis. Over time, however I see it as not a "disease" but as a gift from God. I am happy to be who I am. I hear, see and perceive things much differently than others around me. If there was a way to rid Autism, I would be totally against it.

When I was first diagnosed with Asperger's I believed it was another "label" to add to my list of diagnosis. Over time, however I see it as not a "disease" but as a gift from God. I am happy to be who I am. I hear, see and perceive things much differently than others around me. If there was a way to rid Autism, I would be totally against it.

I hear what you say. I have ASD mild former of it. Some people dislike me or like me. However, having a late diganoses was shocking for me, but life goes on.

Cure for Autism? Won't happen, not in any of our lifetimes anyway, maybe in 300 years when Star Trek technology is commonplace.

This is an interesting topic. And like most things, the answer probably lies somewhere between.

I don't think that totally leaving us alone would be a good thing. There needs to be an understanding of people with ASDs in society and - if necessary - resources and interventions available for those who are more disadvantaged.

On the other hand, I dislike the idea of pathologizing autism. Autism is unlike many other neurological and psychological disorders because it offers both advantages and disadvantages. It is a difference of wiring, not a degeneration or disease. To claim that "autism should be cured" is almost insulting because first of all, many people with ASDs do not want to be cured and are living functional lives, as they are. I happen to appreciate my mind having a dash of autism and would very much dislike for that to be neutralized.

Having ASD, makes us special and better people. The medicals really don't understand us. We all must stand together and unite as one. But one day there will be a cure and a better diganoses for the younger generation. It is a insult for anyone who has ASD or ADHD.

Having ASD, makes us special and better people. The medicals really don't understand us. We all must stand together and unite as one. But one day there will be a cure and a better diganoses for the younger generation. It is a insult for anyone who has ASD or ADHD.
While I don't support a cure for autism, I don't agree that having ASD makes us better people.

While I don't support a cure for autism, I don't agree that having ASD makes us better people.

Here's some ways I think it does:

• We don't do Denial. We seem to have the ability to reject the psychological mechanism of denial more than NTs can. Absolutely obvious facts can stare an NT in the face for years and they will not acknowledge it. While for myself and the Aspies I know personally, this just cannot work: our brains insist on us facing facts.
  • We concentrate better. While NTs often make fun of us being "lost in our own world," ignoring that this is a tremendous advantage for brain work. Writing, coding, painting, science: all require the ability to build a world of our imagination to make the magic happen. Okay, so we don't shift our mental gears so well. But there are callings where that is an advantage.
  • We observe and remember better. I am astonished at certain NTs being able to ignore the equivalent of a live elephant in the room. While we are like Sherlock Holmes: we notice tiny details. A classic Aspie example of memory is a friend tossing off a comment of how they like their burger or salad: and then astonished when, a few months later, the opportunity arises and we do it in a way which pleases them. This is a real mega-good-thing.
  • We handle our emotions better. I know: we've been told either we have no emotions, or that our meltdowns are instances of temper. But that is not true: we tend to be very empathic, and meltdowns are caused by physical overload, not spoiled brattiness. In my observation (which is of course very good ;)) we have a greater ability to stay even-keeled, and can come up with the right things to do in an emergency because we are not overwhelmed with emotions, and won't panic as readily.
All of this is what we are capable of if we are supported. I have come to believe a LOT of our mental challenges and social difficulties are because we were never treated right in the first place.

I think this is very similar to the deaf community and the cochlear implant debate. People who want to cure it, see it as a disability, and the people who don't see it as a subculture.

I think this is very similar to the deaf community and the cochlear implant debate. People who want to cure it, see it as a disability, and the people who don't see it as a subculture.

Perhaps there is such a "social implant" that would help us, like someone who used to be deaf can still sign -- still know the language of the subculture. Sadly, I think it's a bad idea to draw exclusive lines around people.

Why not accept people as they are, and if they change, accept them again?

New Threads

Top Bottom