• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cure autism vs leave us alone - are they both wrong?

I just want to function around people better. If I could have it all. Be both "technical" and socially competent, then yeah. Inject me with that drug.
Or maybe on the weekends. Alcohol + Red Bull? :)

I think proper counseling, especially early on, can help anyone to function better socially, if my example is any guide.

I'm not "naturally social" because I had the typical Aspie childhood friendship troubles, bullying, etc. But I learned how to interpret people, and how to respond, and now, no one could tell.

I know it is not natural because it sprains my brain if I do it too much; thus, my Midlife Meltdown.

Still, it shows we can be taught. And I was fortunate in that my parents celebrated my intellect more than they despaired over my behavior, and didn't have to deal with hostility at home on top of school.

Instead of the NT world being so demanding, they should be more giving. That would be a huge help!

I just want to function around people better. If I could have it all. Be both "technical" and socially competent, then yeah. Inject me with that drug.
Or maybe on the weekends. Alcohol + Red Bull? :)

I have a feeling it may be everyone else who needs the jab... I've never had any problems interacting with other people on the spectrum...;)

It seems there's two side to the debate.

Cureists who want to cure the disease of autism as they see it.

People with autism who think we are fine as we are, so just leave us alone. Autism is not a disease.

These two camp seem irreconcilable at first, but I got thinking and it seems to me they are both flawed, and that the flaw comes not from the reality of autism, but from a single term being used to describe both our neurology, and the problems that many autistic people have.

Imagine if being black and sickle cell anaemia had the same name (hope that's not offensive, I couldn't think of another example).

If we had a word to describe our neurology, and another for our problems, would anyone mind people trying to cure our problems?

But if they did the equivalent of trying to cure us of being black, society would understand our outrage, as it has obvious parallels.
Why is their no media coverage of a cure for downs syndrome
its because they're seen as being benign
obviously the outward message n.t's get is autism is in the leprosy category we are a scourge
why is there no cure for brats

Having a "cure" for autism, I'd understand the benefits of being able to function better in a NT world, however, wouldn't it impact your personality which comes from your unique perspective?

Think of also the great minds who may never of made their discoveries if it wasn't for being on the spectrum? (Albert Einstein, Amadeus Mozart, Charles Darwin, Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, etc.)

I don't see my aspergers as a disabilty, I see it as a benefit. I can't imagine a neurotypical existence and wouldn't want one. I do work on anxiety and panic attacks but wouldn't want to be "cured". It would be like curing me of my personality.

Now a cure for idiots, that's something I could back ;)

Ok, let's use the OS analogy.
Furthering the OS analogy (using LINUX again),
Suppose LINUX operators began to see an unprecedented increase in virus attacks coming from the internet. They compare notes with their Windows & Mac friends.

Since those viruses are unheard of in the latter, the "overly" helpful Win/Mac operators propose that LINUX, itself, is the source of the problems and should be abandoned altogether in favor of a more "reliable" OS.

The more logical conclusion would be that the LINUX OS contains some vulnerabilities that are not found in the others, and requires an OS-specific patch for intervention. Getting said patch (and preventing the subsequent virus attacks) is not the act of hating LINUX. It is the act of defending it.

In this analogy, the increased virus attacks would symbolize an increase and intensification of troublesome co-morbid conditions. I have some research on their likely cause, but you'll have to PM me for that because it is off-topic in the open forums.

New Threads

Top Bottom