• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Creative classes

Licorice

Twisted
My campus offers creative writing classes and I was wondering about how useful such an experience is for people who are looking to improve. I've been writing most of my life but have never taken a class, though I've enjoyed a few books and author's notes on the subjects (many of which say to write, write, write!). I wonder if it's something that can really be taught past giving someone an initial boost.

Have you ever taken a class for something like pottery, art, or writing? Was it a good experience, and did you learn anything you use today?

I have only classes at school for dissertations, but that's a completely different case. There we learn the rules of writing one and have a good score in the Entrance Exam. I love to write too, and I think it's not about having classes, but training and having a good creativity. All the writing I do are stories that I come up on my mind, most of times I like to mix things that really happened with fiction, it is amazing haha.

If you want yo check any of my fanfics just search for L.O.R.D. I.N.G.O, it's my penname ;)

~Lord

Great subject. Over the years I took many adult education classes involving photography and some involving paranormal investigation. While I was unaware of my autism at the time, I was cognizant that such experiences helped my socialization issues and concerns given they involved something pleasant rather than something stressful like work.

Not to mention finding women to date at the time!

Last edited:
I have only classes at school for dissertations, but that's a completely different case. There we learn the rules of writing one and have a good score in the Entrance Exam. I love to write too, and I think it's not about having classes, but training and having a good creativity. All the writing I do are stories that I come up on my mind, most of times I like to mix things that really happened with fiction, it is amazing haha.

If you want yo check any of my fanfics just search for L.O.R.D. I.N.G.O, it's my penname ;)

~Lord

I've heard a few published authors say that the best ideas come from real life, so there may be something to it. I know Stephen King sometimes likes to just run with conversations he's heard or things he's seen.

I've heard a few published authors say that the best ideas come from real life, so there may be something to it. I know Stephen King sometimes likes to just run with conversations he's heard or things he's seen.

Indeed I think it's true, there are some talks in my fan fiction that really happened!! For example, when King and Savage (two characters, I'm not creative for names, so I simply put it inspired by some songs hehe) were talking about feelings, this really happened with me and a friend lol.

Did you start taking the classes to share the experience?

~Lord

Indeed I think it's true, there are some talks in my fan fiction that really happened!! For example, when King and Savage (two characters, I'm not creative for names, so I simply put it inspired by some songs hehe) were talking about feelings, this really happened with me and a friend lol.

Did you start taking the classes to share the experience?

~Lord

Names are hard and titles are harder. I usually just pick something that sounds fitting or suits what inspired it and leave it at that. :p

I've never taken a creative writing class, but since they're available I'm curious what people's experiences have been. Inspiration from real-life events works so far, but there seem to be a lot of other methods out there that could be useful. I'm glad to see there are other people who do this.

I've been following King's work ethic to gain experience and writing every day. I'm trying to see more ideas through to the end and accepting that many of them may not turn out how I want, so I need to not get too excited about any single idea before I've completed it. There have been a lot of interesting twists and turns so far from stories I thought seemed plain.

Names are hard and titles are harder. I usually just pick something that sounds fitting or suits what inspired it and leave it at that. :p

I've never taken a creative writing class, but since they're available I'm curious what people's experiences have been. Inspiration from real-life events works so far, but there seem to be a lot of other methods out there that could be useful. I'm glad to see there are other people who do this.

I've been following King's work ethic to gain experience and writing every day. I'm trying to see more ideas through to the end and accepting that many of them may not turn out how I want, so I need to not get too excited about any single idea before I've completed it. There have been a lot of interesting twists and turns so far from stories I thought seemed plain.

I'm like this too, names are quite hard to get right haha :p. Title is about the first thing it comes to my head, there are two fanfics that I wrote that I can use as example to it:
Two Sides of The Same Coin - The title is very good to the story I wrote, the whole thing is based on this idea, love and hate.

See You Tonight Special Edition: Konata POV - While I can say it's one of my favorite fics, the title is completely nonsense to the story itself, the See You Tonight thing has nothing to do with the story, special edition, because it was a rerelease lol. And Konata POV is the difference between the first and second release.

That's how the first thing it comes to your head can be either brilliant or stupid hahaha.

One thing I really like to do when I'm going to write is have many ideas in my head, but don't note down any of them, I just keep thinking and developing it. Then one day, when I feel inspired, I wait to feel sleepy and start to write 23:00-00:00 till 2:00-3:00AM, also I listen to music while I'm writing. It's fun, because you feel like typing and typing and typing and when you see you already wrote 3k words hahaha. I always joke with some friends, that I am not the writer, the writer is "L.O.R.D. I.N.G.O" (which is my penname), because of that.

I had the idea of writing like this after I read how Mr. Steve Vai composed the song "For The Love of God", he recorded it on the fourth day of a 10 day fast, why? He answered this: "I do try to push myself into relatively altered states of consciousness. Because in those states you can come up with things that are unique even for yourself."

This lat bit of your comment is perfectly true for me, but I do write everything, and the turns and twists appear in the story, so it surprises the reader, very interesting thing to do haha.

Well, this is how I do my work, my fav and longest fanfic is now with 54k words (122 pages). The most important to me is have fun while writing and do whatever you want to ;).

~Lord

New Threads

Top Bottom