• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could this be why I was rejected as a teenager?

From how you talk about your passions and yourself, it's evident that someone in your life made you feel like everything you liked or were interested in was stupid or wrong. If I'm mistaken or misunderstood your words, I apologize. Starting from here, I ask you: what is stupid? By what standard or measure do we define something as stupid? If someone says what we do is stupid, does it automatically become so? Not exactly; in fact, the impact of a comment is proportionate to the importance we attribute to the person making it.

Practical and concrete example:
Person X is a massive fan of a band and also loves the color yellow, which is her favorite. One day, Person X gets tickets to see her favorite band in concert. During the concert, her favorite band member explicitly shouts to the audience that he hates yellow with all his being. How will Person X feel? We know she loves yellow, but she's also a massive fan of the band. She might start to hate or even feel ashamed of loving yellow because her idol expressed hatred for it. Alternatively, she might prioritize her love for yellow (stop going to concerts/change the band), or she could simply accept that everyone has their opinions and tastes.

Now, the example is simplistic and concise, but I believe it conveys the idea of how we tend to react in certain circumstances. Don't hate your teenage self or your current self. Accept being a human composed of different layers of knowledge that accumulate as the years go by. During adolescence, knowledge (layers) is limited, and it's a period of both negative and positive experiences. It's a delicate time when you're no longer a child but not yet an adult, with great expectations and pressure. I doubt there's anyone out there (outside the forum as well) who can say they had a 100% magnificent adolescence.

P.S. If I think about my teenage self, I can sum it up briefly: "NO, don't do it," or "Yes, that was sarcasm."

Finally: Don't judge yourself with present eyes when looking at the past because, in a way, it's like cheating yourself. What you are today is thanks to your past, but if you look back and feel ashamed, remember that back then, you didn't have the same knowledge and judgment scale you use today. The scales and weights change as we grow, adjusting according to the life period we are experiencing. Relying on units that don't personally belong to us or don't correspond to the exact moment will often lead to disastrous results for our self-esteem.
Well it's not opinions as such, it was how I was treated and how personal it was.
If your favourite band suddenly treated you poorly by, say, not letting you see the concert because they think you're stupid or ugly or something, you're automatically going to feel hurt, maybe angry, and you might think differently about the band after that.

At high school I was often deliberately ignored. There were only about 11 girls in my class and they all hung out together in a large group every recess. I was a girl in their class just as much as they were but I was treated differently for being...me. I wasn't good enough. I was an embarrassment. My feelings didn't matter. My feelings didn't exist to them. But I still had to consider their feelings all the time otherwise I'd get a lecture. I just hate double standards and when other Aspies give the unbearable answer "well they're NTs, they can do it", which also seems to mean "NTs are better than us, we're just scum and that's why they treat us that way. They're allowed to lack empathy for us, because we're autistic, a lesser group, subhuman, etc". And that stings and people wonder why I don't want to be on the spectrum. It's the double standards I hate.
Luckily this doesn't happen so much in adulthood, for me anyway. I'm quite an insider, meaning I do feel I belong. In fact one person is being bullied at work, but it isn't me. I'm accepted socially. It's this lovely black man who is being bullied, for being black. That makes me feel so sad. He confides in me a lot about it because he knows I listen and I understand and although I'm accepted by them I still don't join in the bullying. I hate bullying.

Thank goodness you're an adult now. Try to make the present count. The past hurts, and I have a hard time letting go of it- especially if I see someone that was basically slightly a bully and doesn't apologize if they bump into me in-person or online. I just try to keep my distance from these people.

Well it's not opinions as such, it was how I was treated and how personal it was.
If your favourite band suddenly treated you poorly by, say, not letting you see the concert because they think you're stupid or ugly or something, you're automatically going to feel hurt, maybe angry, and you might think differently about the band after that.

At high school I was often deliberately ignored. There were only about 11 girls in my class and they all hung out together in a large group every recess. I was a girl in their class just as much as they were but I was treated differently for being...me. I wasn't good enough. I was an embarrassment. My feelings didn't matter. My feelings didn't exist to them. But I still had to consider their feelings all the time otherwise I'd get a lecture. I just hate double standards and when other Aspies give the unbearable answer "well they're NTs, they can do it", which also seems to mean "NTs are better than us, we're just scum and that's why they treat us that way. They're allowed to lack empathy for us, because we're autistic, a lesser group, subhuman, etc". And that stings and people wonder why I don't want to be on the spectrum. It's the double standards I hate.
Luckily this doesn't happen so much in adulthood, for me anyway. I'm quite an insider, meaning I do feel I belong. In fact one person is being bullied at work, but it isn't me. I'm accepted socially. It's this lovely black man who is being bullied, for being black. That makes me feel so sad. He confides in me a lot about it because he knows I listen and I understand and although I'm accepted by them I still don't join in the bullying. I hate bullying.
I hope the example hasn't offended you or conveyed a sense of belittling your feelings; mine was a general example to illustrate how certain events generally work.

Some of my teen memories:

At 15, to safeguard my mental health, I chose to go to a facility for teenagers, with peers like me. Even there, I couldn't make friends because we had nothing in common. Beyond that, all I managed to extract were toxic and unstable friendships. I couldn't discern if I was being used or if it was right to be altruistic. I didn't understand the extent to which altruism was correct and where opportunism from others began. No one respected me, and I didn't even know what respect was. What is respect? Is it saying no? But how many times should I say no? If I say no, am I selfish? But if I say yes, do I lack character?

Meanwhile, my grandmother had enrolled me in a private school. Looking back, it still gives me chills. One of these girls left me deeply scarred. This girl was envious of me; I didn't know. I've never considered myself beautiful or ugly. When I look in the mirror, I see a human with physical and genetic traits not of my merit but inherited. I don't see competition or envy; I see a face—we all have one. I can't fathom how, just because of a couple of differently placed features, people resort to mean and hypocritical actions driven by envy. In a bar, she destroyed me in front of others, revealing all the confidences and difficulties about my family, everything laid bare to strangers and acquaintances. She concluded that someone like her and someone like me could never be friends, that she had used me, and everyone at school found me strange and thought I was crazy. She shattered me into a thousand pieces, and she laughed; she never regretted it.

This girl changed schools, but things didn't improve. I thought people were my friends, but in reality, I was just a nuisance. They treated me with sarcasm, which I mistook for sincerity at the time, and stayed with me only to avoid being alone. School bored me and didn't provide gratification. I often skipped classes, but no one cared; I was still doing well.

At 16, my father died of brain cancer. As mentioned, I was attending a private school, and my grandmother was providing financial support to this school. Since I had no friends, the principal obligated all my classmates (without my knowledge) to attend my father's funeral. Later, a girl pointed it out to me, laughing. I was devastated; she laughed.

Once I found out, I started suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. My mask was falling apart. Who was I? Why didn't anyone appreciate me? Where was I going wrong? How was I going wrong? The anxiety was so intense that it petrified me during the journey from home to school. Sometimes, I would get to within 20 meters of the school and have panic attacks, believing I could die at any moment.

On exam day, despite being the best in my class, I went silent; I couldn't speak. They failed me without many explanations, and I left school.

I felt that my mask was shattered, and so was my future. My mother never cared about me, and once, on the phone, she explicitly said she would have preferred to abort rather than have a weird child like me. She never accepted me as her daughter because in her culture, I never amounted to anything; she always compared me to my cousin and always preferred her.

Is it disgusting? Yes. But it's not my present; it's my past, and there's so much more disgust, it's true. But I have no intention of paying with my mental health and well-being. I choose how to live my present and future, not my past, my family, or my bullies. Life is mine! For too long, I've been defenseless because I didn't have the tools to defend myself, and no one ever defended me. Now I'm here, and I've chosen not to suffer anymore.

Even if you cry, get angry, or regret the past, it doesn't change; it remains the same and unchanged. But you can choose to live your present and future well. For years, I was at the mercy of others and events, but now it's a conscious choice of mine not to be anyone's pawn, not even my traumas'.

Looking back, I ask myself: how can I ensure it doesn't happen again? How can I avoid it? But I don't dwell on it; I find it a waste of my precious time that no one will ever give back to me. It's true, I have Asperger's, ADHD, PTSD.

We're playing in hard mode! But we're playing; it's our life, and no one can take away our right to live it and waste it.

I hope the example hasn't offended you or conveyed a sense of belittling your feelings; mine was a general example to illustrate how certain events generally work.
No it hasn't offended me. I don't get offended by much, except for personal attacks and accusations (which you or anyone else in this thread haven't done, I'm just saying).
Some of my teen memories:

At 15, to safeguard my mental health, I chose to go to a facility for teenagers, with peers like me. Even there, I couldn't make friends because we had nothing in common. Beyond that, all I managed to extract were toxic and unstable friendships. I couldn't discern if I was being used or if it was right to be altruistic. I didn't understand the extent to which altruism was correct and where opportunism from others began. No one respected me, and I didn't even know what respect was. What is respect? Is it saying no? But how many times should I say no? If I say no, am I selfish? But if I say yes, do I lack character?

Meanwhile, my grandmother had enrolled me in a private school. Looking back, it still gives me chills. One of these girls left me deeply scarred. This girl was envious of me; I didn't know. I've never considered myself beautiful or ugly. When I look in the mirror, I see a human with physical and genetic traits not of my merit but inherited. I don't see competition or envy; I see a face—we all have one. I can't fathom how, just because of a couple of differently placed features, people resort to mean and hypocritical actions driven by envy. In a bar, she destroyed me in front of others, revealing all the confidences and difficulties about my family, everything laid bare to strangers and acquaintances. She concluded that someone like her and someone like me could never be friends, that she had used me, and everyone at school found me strange and thought I was crazy. She shattered me into a thousand pieces, and she laughed; she never regretted it.

This girl changed schools, but things didn't improve. I thought people were my friends, but in reality, I was just a nuisance. They treated me with sarcasm, which I mistook for sincerity at the time, and stayed with me only to avoid being alone. School bored me and didn't provide gratification. I often skipped classes, but no one cared; I was still doing well.

At 16, my father died of brain cancer. As mentioned, I was attending a private school, and my grandmother was providing financial support to this school. Since I had no friends, the principal obligated all my classmates (without my knowledge) to attend my father's funeral. Later, a girl pointed it out to me, laughing. I was devastated; she laughed.

Once I found out, I started suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. My mask was falling apart. Who was I? Why didn't anyone appreciate me? Where was I going wrong? How was I going wrong? The anxiety was so intense that it petrified me during the journey from home to school. Sometimes, I would get to within 20 meters of the school and have panic attacks, believing I could die at any moment.

On exam day, despite being the best in my class, I went silent; I couldn't speak. They failed me without many explanations, and I left school.

I felt that my mask was shattered, and so was my future. My mother never cared about me, and once, on the phone, she explicitly said she would have preferred to abort rather than have a weird child like me. She never accepted me as her daughter because in her culture, I never amounted to anything; she always compared me to my cousin and always preferred her.

Is it disgusting? Yes. But it's not my present; it's my past, and there's so much more disgust, it's true. But I have no intention of paying with my mental health and well-being. I choose how to live my present and future, not my past, my family, or my bullies. Life is mine! For too long, I've been defenseless because I didn't have the tools to defend myself, and no one ever defended me. Now I'm here, and I've chosen not to suffer anymore.

Even if you cry, get angry, or regret the past, it doesn't change; it remains the same and unchanged. But you can choose to live your present and future well. For years, I was at the mercy of others and events, but now it's a conscious choice of mine not to be anyone's pawn, not even my traumas'.

Looking back, I ask myself: how can I ensure it doesn't happen again? How can I avoid it? But I don't dwell on it; I find it a waste of my precious time that no one will ever give back to me. It's true, I have Asperger's, ADHD, PTSD.

We're playing in hard mode! But we're playing; it's our life, and no one can take away our right to live it and waste it.
Thank you for sharing.

This has been a hard thread. Huge swaths of other people’s stories apply to me. I feel like the main difference is that I don’t care enough. People all worked up over not being accepted; they’ve rejected you, so why do you care? Over the undiagnosed decades, I trained myself to think of others the way they thought of me, which is to say poorly.

Reading these posts forces me to remember what it was like back then, back when I did care. It hurts.

Honestly, I had no understanding then. Looking back, I can see that much of who I am today resulted from my treatment as a child. I was teased and bullied or ignored, but I didn’t understand that; I just thought that’s how people act. IOW, rude, cruel, inconsiderate.

My granddaughter was offended a while back, said she didn’t like it when I tease her. I spent weeks and months trying to separate that behavior from the rest of me, but finally realized it is so ingrained at this point that it’s just who I am. I don’t understand, because she teases me all the time just to crank me up. But, I learned, something about my teasing is deeply personal. Just as the young punks of my childhood teased me about my deepest me. I thought simply, as a child; what we humans do is zero in on weaknesses in others and use them to gain social standing. Of course it hurts; it’s just what we do.

It tears me up to consider that I learned that in my 70’s, wife dead, kids grown. Teasing has always been part of me. But then, something happens when you find that you have a condition that makes sense of your suffering. You’re able to see in light of the facts.

Still, probably just habit of thought, I really don’t much care what anyone thinks. I proved in the workplace that my ways succeed where others failed, and I used that fact as a security blanket against the fact…

Against the fact that I am roundly disliked by most people. I was mistaken that a key social practice was to expose other people’s sensitivities, proving your superiority. Oops. Too late.

Without discussing it much, my granddaughter knows I’m trying to change, that I ‘grew up in a different kind of family’. She loves me. At Thanksgiving last night, when no one was looking, she walked behind my chair and laid her arms around my neck a while. For her family, that is wildly demonstrative. I appreciate that she stepped out of her box for me. That hug meant more than a bunch of regular hugs.

I’m too old to change much. The old pain is hidden under who I’ve become. That won’t change. But I try to use things like that hug to salve and bind the wounds which never heal.

Still, I don’t much care about the opinions of my detractors. I try to be a force for good. I’ve never bullied, except my grandson who loves it, picks on me until I do. I don’t pretend to like stuff I don’t like, don’t seek companionship outside a select few. People who like me, do. I’m convinced I can’t do anything about the rest. Sour grapes? Maybe, but I don’t really care.

This has been a hard thread. Huge swaths of other people’s stories apply to me. I feel like the main difference is that I don’t care enough. People all worked up over not being accepted; they’ve rejected you, so why do you care? Over the undiagnosed decades, I trained myself to think of others the way they thought of me, which is to say poorly.

Reading these posts forces me to remember what it was like back then, back when I did care. It hurts.

Honestly, I had no understanding then. Looking back, I can see that much of who I am today resulted from my treatment as a child. I was teased and bullied or ignored, but I didn’t understand that; I just thought that’s how people act. IOW, rude, cruel, inconsiderate.

My granddaughter was offended a while back, said she didn’t like it when I tease her. I spent weeks and months trying to separate that behavior from the rest of me, but finally realized it is so ingrained at this point that it’s just who I am. I don’t understand, because she teases me all the time just to crank me up. But, I learned, something about my teasing is deeply personal. Just as the young punks of my childhood teased me about my deepest me. I thought simply, as a child; what we humans do is zero in on weaknesses in others and use them to gain social standing. Of course it hurts; it’s just what we do.

It tears me up to consider that I learned that in my 70’s, wife dead, kids grown. Teasing has always been part of me. But then, something happens when you find that you have a condition that makes sense of your suffering. You’re able to see in light of the facts.

Still, probably just habit of thought, I really don’t much care what anyone thinks. I proved in the workplace that my ways succeed where others failed, and I used that fact as a security blanket against the fact…

Against the fact that I am roundly disliked by most people. I was mistaken that a key social practice was to expose other people’s sensitivities, proving your superiority. Oops. Too late.

Without discussing it much, my granddaughter knows I’m trying to change, that I ‘grew up in a different kind of family’. She loves me. At Thanksgiving last night, when no one was looking, she walked behind my chair and laid her arms around my neck a while. For her family, that is wildly demonstrative. I appreciate that she stepped out of her box for me. That hug meant more than a bunch of regular hugs.

I’m too old to change much. The old pain is hidden under who I’ve become. That won’t change. But I try to use things like that hug to salve and bind the wounds which never heal.

Still, I don’t much care about the opinions of my detractors. I try to be a force for good. I’ve never bullied, except my grandson who loves it, picks on me until I do. I don’t pretend to like stuff I don’t like, don’t seek companionship outside a select few. People who like me, do. I’m convinced I can’t do anything about the rest. Sour grapes? Maybe, but I don’t really care.
That's OK to think that. We all experience autism/ADHD/PDD-NOS differently.
I had quite a lot of awareness as a kid, I knew how differently I was treated compared to everyone else around me. I don't deal with double standards very well.

I remember when I was walking to school with my older brother and his friends one morning, and two girls from my class were walking a few yards in front of us. My brother encouragingly said "there's your friends, go and walk with them." Although I knew the two girls very well, as they had been in my class for years, I knew they wouldn't want me walking with them. But I didn't want my brother or his cool friends to think I had no friends, as I felt embarrassed about it, so I caught up with the two girls and joined them with a friendly "good morning." I knew straight away they looked uncomfortable and didn't want me there at all.
And that was the sort of social rejection I had to deal with throughout high school. I knew that if I was any of the other girls in my class they would have welcomed me to walk with them. I so badly longed to be accepted like that.

And you're right, often how you were treated as a child can shape who you are as an adult. That is why child and adolescent protection is very important. If it was that easy to just say "that happened when you were a child, you're an adult now, get over it" then any child or adult social services could just say "well, leave them to get abused, because one day they'll be adults and then they can be who they want and move on."
It doesn't quite work like that. Stress, trauma and anxiety are real things. If only I had the time to go to therapy sessions then I would.

New Threads

Top Bottom