• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could I be on the spectrum?

CynBer96

Hello,
I am new on this forum, I made a account because I am at the moment very confused and would love some help from people with a disorder on the spectrum.

For months I have been convinced that I have aspergers and I really do believe it. When I look at the symptoms it just sounds so much like me.
But now for my diagnosis I needed paperwork from my past, from help that I have gotten. All of this was done while I was living in my home country so not here in the UK.
Now it said that I have been tested for disorders on the spectrum in 2011 but that they don't think I have it so I am so incredibly confused.
I am still convinced I have it and I was wondering if it could be that I was misdiagnosed.
I am now nearly 22, back when I got tested I was 15/16 I believe and very secretive. I never let anybody in and nobody was allowed to know who I really was so I wonder if that can have anything to do with it, the whole test was based around what my mother, my teachers and people from my previous therapies and all that said, so not really about me as such.
I really wonder if I can still have aspergers. They said they thought I had PDD but I am sure it's not that.

welcome.png

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of medical professionals who don't really understand aspergers so they can easily be wrong. Your gut is telling you differently, so it sounds like it is a possibility. This a great site to learn more and hear about others experiences. Also, another site that is very informational is aspergers experts. Here is a link to some free videos that explain what is going on very well. Asperger Experts I am not advertising for them, but found the videos quite useful in gaining an understanding for myself.

Hi & Welcome,
Did you get diagnosed with PDD? Because that is on the spectrum. But anyway, misdiagnosis is absolutely possible. The level of understanding of autism in the professional community is not really that good. A second eval would be very reasonable, especially since you are convinced thru self diagnosis.

Thank you all so much.
On the paperwork they said they thought I had PDD but because of the language problem I wasn't really sure what that was so I googled but got some sort of chronic depression syndrome online. I did not know that they actually meant PDD-NOS though. I guess they literally only checked for Autism and nothing else on the spectrum because I guess they would have already known if I do have PDD or not.
Luckily I have my second assessment on Friday so hopefully they will know if it is aspergers or PDD by than.
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it.

Does the paperwork say PDD or PDD-NOS? I think that PDD is just another name for autism.

Does the paperwork say PDD or PDD-NOS? I think that PDD is just another name for autism.

Is it? The paperwork says PDD, they said all the signs point to PDD but there aren't enough signs to give me a diagnosis for Autism. I never thought I had Autism but I do really believe it might be Aspergers.
Now I am a little confused because I never even knew that PDD-NOS is also a autism disorder but I looked it up and I don't really know if it would be Aspergers or PDD-NOS that I have, I am however convinced I am somewhere on the Autism spectrum.

It seems like a diagnosis can very from one counselor/doctor to the next. As it has been explained to me, no single symptom or behavior is enough for an autism diagnosis - it's when a sum of symptoms and behaviors tips the scale. Perhaps some doctors trained in recognizing and working with autism may make a different call than those not trained.

Either way, if you feel coming here and participating in these forums helps you, please keep coming!

Oh, and Welcome!

PDD-NOS is on the autism spectrum, so there's your answer :)

Thing is, it said likely PDD, that's all they said and now I hear it is just another word for the spectrum so I am still clueless, except for the fact that I probably do have something that is on the spectrum. Luckily I should find out Friday.

It seems like a diagnosis can very from one counselor/doctor to the next. As it has been explained to me, no single symptom or behavior is enough for an autism diagnosis - it's when a sum of symptoms and behaviors tips the scale. Perhaps some doctors trained in recognizing and working with autism may make a different call than those not trained.

Either way, if you feel coming here and participating in these forums helps you, please keep coming!

Oh, and Welcome!

I am really unsure, what I now think that they meant is that I am somewhere in the spectrum but haven't got autism, they have only tested for autism but no other disorders on the spectrum so they aren't sure yet.
I guess I will find out on Friday, I am slightly nervous but it would be nice knowing why I have always been so extremely different than other people from my age.

Thank you, I am not sure if it will help me but I do feel like people on here are a lot nicer than in the real world. People at least understand the issues I have, which is really nice.

Thing is, it said likely PDD, that's all they said and now I hear it is just another word for the spectrum so I am still clueless, except for the fact that I probably do have something that is on the spectrum. Luckily I should find out Friday.
It's not really another word for the spectrum, as much as it's part of the spectrum. Anyway, good luck with your next assessment!

Good luck on your assessment! I think the UK uses the ICD-10, which still has Asperger's in it, so you may be in luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom