• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

coping mechanisms when on the verge of a meltdown/shutdown

callmeriver

Autistic Intersex Cutie
V.I.P Member
i feel like i’m on the verge of either a shutdown or meltdown and i was wondering if there are ways to calm down after it happens.

lately i been watching 5 minutes crafts during shutdowns (the unrealistic crafts make me laugh) but i’m not sure how much longer it will help with shutdowns.

i was wondering if theres anything else i can do or even watch to calm down.

Brisk 30 minute walk amongst greenery?ie, woods, forest, fields or calm open space?
(15 mins out, 15 mins back)

Repetitive actions?
cleaning, stims, rituals.

Write?
Put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard and write down whatever's flowing through your mind. Don't spellcheck or pause to think.
A continuous, uninterrupted flow of disjointed subjects.

Humour?
watch that which you find funny until it makes you smile.

I stop what I am doing and divert my attention on to something that makes me laugh and yes, those 5 minute crafts videos are hilarious and interesting at the same time, that helps to calm the brain down.

Humor is a great antidote, as long as you are aware that you are close to a meltdown or shut down.

Also, for me, any subjects that make me feel like that "boiling pot", I have to keep away from and that includes family members, otherwise, I know I will get sick.

Cat videos? Or dog videos? I love decorating cake videos.

Brisk 30 minute walk amongst greenery?ie, woods, forest, fields or calm open space?
(15 mins out, 15 mins back)

Repetitive actions?
cleaning, stims, rituals.

Write?
Put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard and write down whatever's flowing through your mind. Don't spellcheck or pause to think.
A continuous, uninterrupted flow of disjointed subjects.

Humour?
watch that which you find funny until it makes you smile.

I stop what I am doing and divert my attention on to something that makes me laugh and yes, those 5 minute crafts videos are hilarious and interesting at the same time, that helps to calm the brain down.

Humor is a great antidote, as long as you are aware that you are close to a meltdown or shut down.

Also, for me, any subjects that make me feel like that "boiling pot", I have to keep away from and that includes family members, otherwise, I know I will get sick.

thank you all for your suggestions i did a combination of cat videos, 5 minute crafts and writing how i feel on my blog which is something i have been trying to put in my routine but i keep forgetting to post on it haha

also i apologize for quoting you all in one message but i felt it would be easier to just put them all in message :)

Go into your bedroom, pull the blankets over your head, cover your ears, and enjoy the quiet and darkness until you feel better.

New Threads

Top Bottom