• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cooking pictures!

^ That looks like a proper dish, Bender. I find pâté to be quite good if it's fresh. I can eat a small amount of chicken liver and be fine with it. There's something about the combination of the texture and the flavor that becomes overwhelming for me if I have more than just a tiny bit. I wish that wasn't the case because I know it's healthy. For example, I've heard people say rabbit liver is even better than chicken liver and I have an abundance of wild rabbit around here. If I liked liver more I'd be more apt to try rabbit liver.

Liver can be tricky. you might know all or some of it, but just in case: after you clean it and chop it, soak it in milk for at least 30 min in the fridge, this gets rid of the bitterness and that iron-like taste. Never season it before cooking, salt, in particular, will make it tough. Cook it quickly and lightly in a hot skillet, err on the undercooked side if you must: even slight overcooking will give it a rubbery texture. Season after cooking and add whatever you might like: the result should be sweet and tender.

Lucky man, rabbit is delicious :)

upload_2020-8-20_23-25-19.jpeg

Dinner preparation, pork tenderloin, with garlic, thyme, dried cranberries.
Marinated beforehand in a mixture of apple cider, ginger and olive oil. Browned nicely, no after pictures, it was eaten pretty quickly by my spouse.

Liver can be tricky. you might know all or some of it, but just in case: after you clean it and chop it, soak it in milk for at least 30 min in the fridge, this gets rid of the bitterness and that iron-like taste. Never season it before cooking, salt, in particular, will make it tough. Cook it quickly and lightly in a hot skillet, err on the undercooked side if you must: even slight overcooking will give it a rubbery texture. Season after cooking and add whatever you might like: the result should be sweet and tender.

Lucky man, rabbit is delicious :)

One of the best breakfasts I have ever eaten was a bowl of rice topped with fried chicken livers and gravy. It was at a truck stop gas station in the middle of nowhere, Mississippi, about 6:00 a.m. I was on my way to take a deposition in the little town and saw a long line of people, laborers and blue color folks, standing outside the Chevron at the highway exit. I was starving, having already driven several hours that morning, so I stopped, got a bowl, ate it in my car, proceeded to the deposition, and felt wonderful till lunchtime when I got hungry again.

There is a famous southern USA dish called "dirty rice" which is made with rice, chopped chicken livers and gizzards which give the rice a "dirty" color. Absolutely delicious if you like liver.

I never cook liver because my hubby won't eat it but I just may buy a small container of fresh chicken livers and cook them for myself. They are very nutrious.

Something new to do with turnips:

Glazed Turnips

- 6 turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup pure cane syrup (substitute maple syrup or honey or even maybe molasses if you can't find cane syrup)
- 1 TBSP McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning (or make your own with powdered garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne)
-olive oil

Toss turnips in syrup and seasoning
Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat and add just enough olive oil to coat bottom of skillet
Add turnips and saute for a few minutes
Transfer skillet to oven and roast 20 minutes
They are ready when fork easily inserts into centers of turnips

Thank you! We love Turnips, usually cook them with ginger, this sounds great!

Something new to do with turnips:

Glazed Turnips

- 6 turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup pure cane syrup (substitute maple syrup or honey or even maybe molasses if you can't find cane syrup)
- 1 TBSP McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning (or make your own with powdered garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne)
-olive oil

Toss turnips in syrup and seasoning
Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat and add just enough olive oil to coat bottom of skillet
Add turnips and saute for a few minutes
Transfer skillet to oven and roast 20 minutes
They are ready when fork easily inserts into centers of turnips

New Threads

Top Bottom