• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cooking pictures!

Magna

V.I.P Member
I didn't see any subforum for cooking and recipe related threads. My apologies if there is one.

I made this today as part of my lunch from turnips that I grew this year:

Oven Roasted Turnips tossed in olive oil, black pepper and sea salt and served with fresh dill from the garden along with mayo and a bit of my rhubarb ketchup I made this year and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.

IMG-0221-Copy.jpg

There's a 'The last thing you made' thread in off topic. Here's my vegetarian chili:

53598_d0c05230d46057e51cdee8a72e126f94.jpeg

Chili and a side of barley.

That looks wonderful, Mia! I love the cast iron enameled pot you have as well. I will seek out that thread you mention. It would be nice if there was a recipes thread.

No I don't have a cooking blog. Something like that would interest me though. I love to cook.

rhubarb ketchup

I have lots of rhubarb almost fully ripened. Traditionally the rhubarb here is cooked slightly with strawberries and a little honey. But this recipe below looks okay:

Rhubarb Ketchup:
  1. 2 lbs (about 6-8 cups) chopped rhubarb
  2. 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  3. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  4. 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
  5. 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  6. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  7. 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  8. 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  9. 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
Many of the recipes I've looked at, use tomatoes. But this one looks suitable and does not have tomatoes. Any tips? Are you home canning in jars? Or doing a batch or two at a time?

I have lots of rhubarb almost fully ripened. Traditionally the rhubarb here is cooked slightly with strawberries and a little honey. But this recipe below looks okay:

Rhubarb Ketchup:
  1. 2 lbs (about 6-8 cups) chopped rhubarb
  2. 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  3. 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  4. 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
  5. 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  6. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  7. 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  8. 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  9. 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
Many of the recipes I've looked at, use tomatoes. But this one looks suitable and does not have tomatoes. Any tips? Are you home canning in jars? Or doing a batch or two at a time?

Thanks for asking for my advice. I think that recipe would be good. I'm guessing it would be more on the savory side rather than sweet/sour with the sugar being only 1/4 c. I've made two different recipes for rhubarb ketchup this year. The first recipe called for tomatoes and a lot of sugar. It was very tasty but seemed like a hybrid between ketchup and jam. I used it primarily by combining it with mayo for making a very tasty salad dressing. Too sweet on its own for me though.

The second recipe I used was similar to the one you have here. Minimal sugar.

I wouldn't modify that recipe you have and would advise giving it a go as is. Please post your opinion when you've tried it!

I did not can the rhubarb ketchups. Both recipes made around a quart and I just kept the jars in the fridge.

My lunch for today:

A warm salad: Steamed turnip greens, chard and carrots with chicken and sesame oil dressing.

IMG-0222-Copy.jpg

I made this up on the fly and did not pre-plan. It evolved during the process and took about 10 mins of prep time and less than 30 mins of cook time.

Recipe:

Steam turnip greens/stems and chard for 20 mins.
Add match stick carrots to steam for ten minutes

"Croutons": I diced some dense homemade whole wheat sourdough bread and toasted the cubes in browned butter and then tossed them in Chinese Five Spice Powder.

Chicken: Today it was store bought chicken tenders baked as directed.

Dressing: Rice Vinegar, Shoyu, Toasted Sesame oil, Diced homemade pickled garlic and pickled ginger, a few pinches of sugar, chia seeds.

Approximately 600 calories. Generally I consume less than 500 calories for lunches.

Omitting the "croutons" would reduce the calories of this dish to approximately 300 calories total. I put "croutons" in quotes because they're not crunchy and I didn't intend them to be.

I consider the recipe to be a keeper.

Last edited:
Dinner: Braised greens with sausage over brown rice. I'm not happy with my food photography, but I plan to work on that.

IMG-0223-Copy.jpg

Thanks, Mary. My Mom was a dietitian so I received a good education in nutrition growing up.

Good nutrition will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. We are what we eat! And we might as well make it taste good while we're doing it.

These all look so delicious, bon appetit! The photos also look great, very much like they're from a blog.

Everything looks so nice in here, guys !

I'll start taking pictures more often, we all love to cook in my family. It's actually really nice to see so many of you do too :)

Most recently, I made a beef and shiitake teriyaki from scratch

KNYioGY.jpg

When we're busy during the week and nobody has planned much for dinner, I just take a look in the fridge and rustle up something, also known as "frying up the thrash" :p

Made dirty rice for tonight

4R1AnKd.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom