• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cooking pictures!

Good question about Carpaccio. In the U.S., public health is largely controlled at the state level which means one state may allow restaurants to serve meat raw or next to it while another state may forbid it.

Rare steaks are common but some states won't allow restaurants to serve rare hamburgers. When I worked in restaurants occasionally someone would order a steak "blue rare" which basically meant it was seared for a few seconds on each side but the interior was barely warmed at best and more or less raw.

Interesting, I haven't thought of that.

Here food regulations are draconic and so are the very frequent quality controls. Anybody, restaurant or shop, is allowed to sell or label something "tartare beef" but it must be what it says on the tin: fresh, high quality, with less than 10% fat. They see a speck of dirt or similar, they close you down. They catch you breaking hygiene rules or trying to sell something slightly off, they close you down and you'll probably need the rest of your life to pay the fines. It's amazing how huge fines discourage people from doing all kind of shoddy things ;)

I'm not partial to a "nanny state" attitude normally, but when it comes to public health and safety I'm pretty hardcore myself and have a bee in my bonnet when it comes to food safety and education, it's incredibly important for our general well-being in so many ways. And to balance things, small business get a lot of support here and they flourish.

Belated rant alert :blush:

Tartare, carpaccio, ceviche, oysters on the half shell - all raw foods - are available at upscale restaurants all over the USA. You won't find them at fast food or low cost restaurants, and I'll eat all those foods if I consider the source to be safe. I don't want to eat raw eggs, though, except as an ingredient in homemade mayonnaise.

^
The Dutch and Belgians make their tartare with mayo instead of raw egg :)

Something else I do with raw yolks to make them safe (for carbonara) is to heat them gently with a bit of lemon juice (or vinegar) in a double boiler while whisking until they reach 60C (140F). The temperature is high enough to kill bacteria, but the acidic element prevents them from cooking.

Popping the raw meat in the freezer for cca 10 min before using it also helps kill bacteria.

I love carbonara, too! Haven't made that in a long time so thanks for the idea. There is a large Lebanese population where I live who celebrate special occasions with raw kibbeh. I'm sure they eat kibbeh elsewhere in the US, too.

All this talk gave me a hankering for Carpaccio :D

cKaSUT4.jpg

Another cold dinner on Saturday too:

r6LRjCf.jpg

When I dare turn on the oven again, I'm thinking of baking some potatoes and salmon with a nice mustard, honey and dill dressing.

^ You could charge a pretty penny for those dishes in a restaurant, Bender! Beautifully presented.

^ You could charge a pretty penny for those dishes in a restaurant, Bender! Beautifully presented.

That's kind of you to say, thank you. I love cooking for others and experimenting with food, but from what I hear the restaurant business would make my high-pressure job look like a walk in the park :cool:

I have a couple of hobbies that have significant monetary potential, but no business sense whatsoever to go with that ;)

Last edited:
^ Agreed. I worked in four restaurants (that I can recall) in my early twenties. As much as I enjoy cooking, I would not want to work in or own a restaurant. What is a fun hobby (cooking) would turn into the opposite with a restaurant for me.

I hear you, I'm very wary of mixing business with pleasure.

But you seem to have gained some significant experience, your food always looks great and very well balanced.

My kid is at home with a stomach bug. I've made him some quick applesauce and water crackers:

FkWb7hO.png

If he feels well enough to eat, I'll bake a chicken breast for him tonight and maybe a potato or some rice.

My kid is at home with a stomach bug. I've made him some quick applesauce and water crackers:

FkWb7hO.png

If he feels well enough to eat, I'll bake a chicken breast for him tonight and maybe a potato or some rice.

The "BRAT" diet is good for an upset stomach - bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. All are easily digestible.

Thank you Marry, it's what I've been doing. I talked to his doctor too who said I can give him some chicken if he feels better tonight, otherwise, I have some good home-made broth in the freezer.

He's pushing 1.90m and still growing lol, so if he can eat some protein today or tomorrow it wouldn't be bad.

Not exactly food but i wanted to take a photo since it's the first time i made turkish coffee with foam.
Turkish coffee with turkish delight!

IMG_20200809_175253.jpg

It looks irresistible, April - what do you need to make it?

I love Turkish coffee - fortunately, we have a large Turkish community here, so it's easy to find. They also make out of this world good Baklava, the real thing. The two together make for the most indulgent breakfast :hearteyes:

I have never made baklava, it's very hard, but i like making desserts and Will try to share whenever i make one!

Turkish coffee is sold like ground coffee, you put it in a kind of pot called cezve and cook it on the stove. After the foam forms, you have to pour the foam first in the cup, and cook the rest a little longer. It is actually very easy but i can never pull the foam part off.:oops:

I usually buy coffee beans, I'll have to check and see how to grind it for Turkish coffee - I seem to remember it's a coarser grind.

I have something like this from my friend

lKFt4Q7.jpg

I have never made baklava, it's very hard, but i like making desserts and Will try to share whenever i make one!

Please do :)

^That looks like a copper cezve, the best kind to make turkish coffee! I wish i could send you some, i have a lot of different kinds like with mastic (a kind of gum) Maybe you can find it from asian markets or such?
Alright, i will try to make different turkish desserts and post the photos when i do!

Hard to take a decent picture and not the best-looking thing out there, but one of my favourite dishes: a Japanese recipe of stir-fried courgette (zucchini) with roasted sesame oil, topped with lightly seared chicken liver in coconut milk, toasted sesame seeds and chilli flakes.

u1LJ2Ki.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom