• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Conversing with yourself out loud

I have a lot of conversations with myself, both out loud and in my head.

I don't mean voices telling me to do things and that, just me talking to myself. Sometimes I make up a conversation between myself and someone I know, in sort of a fantasising fashion if you know what I mean. Sometimes I laugh at myself having these conversations to myself lol.

I'm concious of doing this and when I'm having a "head" conversation when people are around I have to make a concious effort not to talk out loud.

Anyone else do this? xx

I have a lot of conversations with myself, both out loud and in my head.

I don't mean voices telling me to do things and that, just me talking to myself. Sometimes I make up a conversation between myself and someone I know, in sort of a fantasising fashion if you know what I mean. Sometimes I laugh at myself having these conversations to myself lol.

I'm concious of doing this and when I'm having a "head" conversation when people are around I have to make a concious effort not to talk out loud.

Anyone else do this? xx

Yeah, plenty of times. Sometimes I do it just to rant so I can get something off my chest while other times I'll have random conversations.

I do it a lot. It tends to be a good way of getting things off my chest when I know actually bringing up an issue with someone will create too much hastle to be worth it.

Yep! I vacuum and always talking to someone I know in my head. I LOVE taking my baby with me to the grocery store because there's something about that environment that actually makes me talk out loud and I don't need to suppress it. It doesn't look odd if there's a baby there with me. I think it feels good because conversations with others are going exactly the way we want it to in our heads whereas it doesn't always seem to turn out the way in real life. At least, that's my take on it.

Yep! I vacuum and always talking to someone I know in my head. I LOVE taking my baby with me to the grocery store because there's something about that environment that actually makes me talk out loud and I don't need to suppress it. It doesn't look odd if there's a baby there with me. I think it feels good because conversations with others are going exactly the way we want it to in our heads whereas it doesn't always seem to turn out the way in real life. At least, that's my take on it.

YES! I play out how I want the scenario to happen, and always tell myself off afterwards knowing full well that it won't go that way, OR I worry that it could have happened that way, but because I've now thought about it that somehow my thought will change the outcome x

Yes, quite a lot of the time. I have to be conscious of how my eyes look while I try to maintain my inner conversation private in public. You know how eyes can 'talk'. I usually have a quiet chat in the mind to others like I'm pre-filming something from the past of what I wish I could of said. Other times I speak to 'myself' is when I talk to my guides and higher-self.

So I'm not the only one! I've learnt to curb it now, but at one time, I was always getting told off for talking to myself! I can so relate to what the rest of you have said! When I know I'm going to have to bring up something awkward, I can rehearse it in my head first to ensure I get it right when it comes to saying it out loud and, if necessary, get the bad language or anything offensive out of my system, so the listener gets a sanitised, but polite, socially acceptable version of what I want to say, so getting better results all round.

I really can relate to this I have a habit of verbalising my thoughts and when I was in school kids thought I was talking to myself,I still do it now sometimes but I find it helps me figure out stuff and process things.

I work one day a week in a tattoo studio (filing, organising etc) and when I was in last I was outside having a cigarette and all of a sudden my boss said, "Are you chatting to yourself out there?" Clearly didn't manage to keep it quiet that day lol. xx

I've been known to do this as well, especially when I used to take figures into the Bath when I was a kid, I'd pretend to be Luke Skywalker or other Star Wars characters lol.

One thing for sure, if I'm deliberately contemplating some type of "script" for a specific social situation coming up, I inevitably talk it out with myself.

It's a constant problem of mine. I do it to play out a social scenario or to think more clearly, I try to do it only when alone but I always manage to be caught in the act.

It's a constant problem of mine. I do it to play out a social scenario or to think more clearly, I try to do it only when alone but I always manage to be caught in the act.

Yeah all the same reasons as me, and yeah I get caught doing it too

Yeah all the same reasons as me, and yeah I get caught doing it too

Understandable. Though personally I'd be more mortified if someone managed to call me out my OCD tendencies. Miraculously it seldom happens unless it involved someone actually living with me.

Talking with myself might seem funny....but I think most people just shrug that off, as opposed say to seeing someone check a door lock multiple times in the hour.

I do work-process self-talk all the time when doing things with my hands, whether a project at home, or at work. It helps keep me focused on the task at hand.

New Threads

Top Bottom