• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Consumed by people

ArtistVia

Hi there,

I've tried everything to not get completely consumed by any love interest I've ever had but have had no success. Please please help. Any advice is super appreciated. How do you do it?

I've tried being distant, I've tried being close. I've tried playing sweet, I've tried playing nasty (feels unnatural). I've dated good guys and bad guys and all in between - even a gal in there once, thought it might be different if it was a same sex thing but nope. Tried dating people I didn't really care about. Tried not dating, which works until I met someone who I thought was worth a shot. Same results. Every time. All of my self goes right out of the window and I am consumed in thoughts of them until there's nothing left of me for them to be with. I hate it. It's the worst, most destructive thing about me and it's something I have not yet been able to defeat.

Got any weapons against this beast? Can I borrow one?

Thank you.

Hello, Via!

I'd try writing down your feelings in a journal every day the next time you find yourself with a love interest. Perhaps doing that, and then rereading your entries, will help you recognize what's extreme about your emotions and perhaps allow you to regulate them. This might also be an issue that's best resolved with professional help, though of course the choice is yours.

Best wishes.

Got any weapons against this beast? Can I borrow one?

Thank you.

Yes. A wonderful, yet profoundly simple message from a writer of a children's book that isn't limited to children. A lesson I once needed to learn myself. That no one can "complete you" but yourself.

It's titled "The Missing Piece Meets the Big O" by Shel Silverstein.

The Missing Piece Meets the Big O

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom