• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Connections with animals

Owliet

The Hidden One.
One of my cats had To go back to the vets to stay over night for care because he has an intenstine block although it is not known what it is that has caused the problem.

My cats are important to me. Every one of them are so special and mean a lot . When I have no one, they are there to help me. And I miss them when they are not around me. I connect more easy with them than i would with people. It is really hurting me that this is happening. And i am currently reading up everything i can find on this to prepare. I guess. Anyway, I guess to some people maybe they are just only a cat and not a big deal (i have had that told to me before) and if anyone would understand, I would really appreciate it.

I care greatly for my cats. My cat gray had a urinary blockage and nearly died. We rushed him to the hospital just in time. Even though he is back to normal I worry about if he will have another blockage.

Also, two of my yoga teachers have cats. One of them, her cat, had the same urinary blockage years ago but is doing fine now. She felt so sorry for me and understood what I was going through.

I care greatly for my cats. My cat gray had a urinary blockage and nearly died. We rushed him to the hospital just in time. Even though he is back to normal I worry about if he will have another blockage.

Also, two of my yoga teachers have cats. One of them, her cat, had the same urinary blockage years ago but is doing fine now. She felt so sorry for me and understood what I was going through.
He has been taken to the vet in time. He was okay yesterday, so obviously today it was something that has happened.

I worry a lot about my cats. It is why I was able to notice the problem with him early on today, and just before we had to go to the vets again.

I am happy that your cat is better. Thank you for your response.

Absolutely and thoroughly understand, Owliet. The connection with animals is very real and very important. For me, it is my dog. I don’t think it much matters what sort of animal it is though. Whatever animals connect to us and we to them, the connection is very real and valid and true. My dog has given me what other people call friendship.

It definitely seems like one of those areas where certain people will not understand, and that’s okay I guess, but for those of us who do understand, I feel that we understand it deeply. Your cats are each a life that is connected to you and the comfort, joy, and understanding that they bring to your life is also very real. It is always so hard to see an animal who is sick because we cannot use words to explain the situation to them. I know there can still be communication, but it is very hard to see them hurting.

Seeing, hearing about, or remembering animals who are sick or in pain reminds me to appreciate the heck out of my dog and give him scratches and attention and the things that he needs. Our love and compassion for these animals is also very important and, I think, is one of the most wonderful things about certain human beings. The ability to truly connect to an animal.

don’t think it much matters what sort of animal it is though. Whatever animals connect to us and we to them, the connection is very real and valid and true. My dog has given me what other people call friendship.
Yes, they are my friends too. More than that actually. For a long time, my first cat was my anchor in keeping me alive. I was heavily suicidal and depressed, not just because I was diagnosed with ASD but because I was difficulty in school, emotionally unstable and I had him from 4 monats and he was so much to me. I broke when he died. Whilst I am not as connected with my cat that died 3 years now, he was my friend also and we would hang out and he would do a lot of funny things but have “real” empathy and consideration when I was feeling low. The other ones are also the same. They are what I do not have in human Friendships.
It is always so hard to see an animal who is sick because we cannot use words to explain the situation to them. I know there can still be communication, but it is very hard to see them hurting.
Yes. I feel very helpless. I leave him in the hands of the vet. I hope and wish, but I feel so uncertain. I feel so anxious and worried. I feel sick actually. I know I can not sleep tonight And will be waiting for any call that comes. Yes, he was obvious in something wrong today. I thought he was making progress because he did appear to be but then it happened again. It looks like it is possible for him to recover from this and it has been catched early. The vet said that she has two that are more in danger and he is in a good place. I just wish it was Not happening. =(

I understand what you mean. I get so attached to animals, they are very important to me. I'm sorry to hear you have to go through that. Best of luck to the cat and you.

Haus already feels empty without him.

It always feels so empty without them. But he is at the best place he can be now, maybe it will work out, sometimes they get sick but they get better after a while. And an intestine block often happens with cats, it could work out just fine. Hang in there.

It always feels so empty without them. But he is at the best place he can be now, maybe it will work out, sometimes they get sick but they get better after a while. And an intestine block often happens with cats, it could work out just fine. Hang in there.
Yes, that is what the vet said. Just miss him. He is a big part of our family.

I really do know how you feel! I really hope that your kitty will be back with you soon and fighting fit! :)

My cat is basically my baby. I miss him so much when I go out for the day. I have to know he's ok and happy.

I pay a lot of attention to his habits and I quickly know if something is off. Fortunately he's been very healthy and I hope he stays that way.

I got him as a kitten when I was really struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts. He saved my life, I'm quite sure of that.

I remember taking him home wrapped up in my big wooly scarf. He got a lot of tuna fish to eat and when it was bed time I got my big comfy chair next to my bed and made him a nice bed to get some sleep. He took to it quite quickly, but when I got into bed, only a few inches away from him really, he looked at me quite intensely for a moment.

I told him everything would be ok, then he got up and jumped onto the bed and burrowed under my neck and the pillow and started purring. I was really worried I would squash him. But he seemed happy enough and after a while I fell asleep without intending to. I woke up in the morning to him batting my eyelids with his paw. For about 3 months that's how he slept, nestled under my neck.

I hate it when people say "it's just a cat", that is so ridiculous! They are so much more to us than that.

I'm keeping everything crossed for you! My cat has all his paws crossed for you both too! :)

Anyway, I guess to some people maybe they are just only a cat and not a big deal (i have had that told to me before) and if anyone would understand, I would really appreciate it.

I suspect a number of us relate to animals better than our own species.

I know, as I'm one of them. - Take care.

Mom finished talking with the vet. She shared his X-rays. He has a blockage in his stomach but there seems to be another problem Wich she thinks may be a tumor of something.I would really like to have a break. I feel like I want to hit things. I am so devastated already and nothing has happened yet. He will not have the surgery until she is happy with his vitals. His surgery. She will take out his stomach to search for the strange things. And IF he survives that. He can come home tomorrow. I hope he can come home. I miss him so much.

My fuzzy buckets are my everything. And so far we have been very lucky not to have even an overnight (we've has same day dentals and neuter surgery) with our current three, (Rue Dog, Zwi, and Potato Cat).

But in even the few hours that they weren't home the house felt weird. Incomplete. I remember dropping Potato Cat off for his neuter. I took Rue along for the car ride and he was beside himself when I dropped Potato Cat off and didn't bring him back to the car.

(Keep in mind that this was not even three months after we said goodbye to CatCat. One of the worst days of my existence, despite it being the right decision.) Rue was upset that his Potato Cat might not come home. He was home about two hours later, a very loopy unic.

Same story in reverse for Potato Cat when Rue went in for a dental. (Ironically he cracked a back molar on a chewy bone and had to have the tooth pulled after it became infected...a day after Zwi had seven teeth pulled. (Greyhounds are notorious for having bad teeth.))

Intelligence-wise Rue and Potato are on the same page. Zwi, not so much. Both of the are fine with Zwi, but neither seeks to actively engage with him because he is on par with the coffee table as far as brain function goes. He's usually asleep anyway. But he is still a part of the family.

Edit: Glad to hear your kitty is stable. (Removal of ingested objects is one of the most common emergency surgeries in cats and dogs. Certain breeds like labs have tendencies to swallow rocks that end up having to be removed.)

As to the something, you now know about it and can do what needs to be done. If it is a tumor the sooner it gets treated the better the outcome especially if there is a chance of cancer or an infection. Early detection increases their chances of recovery.

A side note on tumors. As scary as they can be, a majority of them tend to be beign. Rue has had one along his chest the size of a cherry for years and it is just a fatty growth, completely inert.

Zwi has a golf ball sized one between his his chest muscles. It is fluid filled scar tissue from when he woke up hallucinating after his dental. (Again, this is a weird thing specific to his breed). He also had a small one on his back ankle next to one of his veins. That one popped and scabbed over. It is almost healed now.

The uncertainty is the worst part of all of this simply because you worry, and you worry because pets matter. They are family.

Last edited:
I’m so sorry you’re going through this, @Owliet :(
I hope everything goes well and that your cat will be home tomorrow. Pets having surgery is so nerve wracking.
I will keep you both in my thoughts.

When my dogs have had surgery or have been in the hospital overnight, I cried all night and didn’t sleep.
People think I’m crazy or weird for being so attached to animals, but they are my best friends and I could never love a person the same way.

I know I’ve shared this before but this describes my connection with my dogs:

0D7F9230-4F1D-48B2-8DB1-FC10471E28C2.jpeg

Omg, I’m already crying.
I think anyone who has loved an animal will understand.

They are part of family. Had a tortie once that I raised from a kitten and she always needed to have a paw on me when she joined me in the bed. Sadly she developed liver cancer. As I was with her through life I felt i needed to be a witness to her death. It was the hardest thing that I have done in my life.

Last edited:
They are part of family. Had a tortie once that I raised from a kitten she always needed to have a paw on me when she joined me in the bed. Sadly she developed liver cancer. As Iwas with het through life I felt i needed to be a witness to her death. It was the hardest thing that I have done in my life.

I've been there, too. My CatCat was 20 and she was the last of her generation (pets I grew up with). The three days between saying goodbye and a friend giving me Potato Cat was the only time in my existence I didn't have a cat.

@Owliet

As tough as it is not having your kitty home, keep in mind that you paid attention and took action promptly. That matters. The sooner an obstruction is treated the better the outcome.

Hoping for the best for both of you.

Last edited:
Mom finished talking with the vet. She shared his X-rays. He has a blockage in his stomach but there seems to be another problem Wich she thinks may be a tumor of something.I would really like to have a break. I feel like I want to hit things. I am so devastated already and nothing has happened yet. He will not have the surgery until she is happy with his vitals. His surgery. She will take out his stomach to search for the strange things. And IF he survives that. He can come home tomorrow. I hope he can come home. I miss him so much.
Oh dear :-( I'm so sorry that this wasn't a great update from the vet to say the least. I really hope everything will be ok and they can work out what's going on and fix everything.

I can only imagine how this must be affecting you right now. I'm sure everyone here is sending you all the best wishes and good vibes.

Thinking of you both!

As to the something, you now know about it and can do what needs to be done. If it is a tumor the sooner it gets treated the better the outcome especially if there is a chance of cancer or an infection. Early detection increases their chances of recovery.
That is true. My first cat died from fibrosarcoma, and he had a good fight. Unfortunately, he died from it. But the cancer type and where it was was not easy to treat. If it is this, if it is something like a tumor, yes you’re right.
The uncertainty is the worst part of all of this simply because you worry, and you worry because pets matter. They are family.
Yes. Even knowing some of it now, it is so still worrying for him. He has left a big empty hole for us and I know that his brothers are also looking for him (only one of them is related) and its for Them that they give comfort and need comfort also. I think I am trying to do this “grief“ feeling before, but it is such a surprise and so sudden. Not like the other two when it was known that this would happen.
I cried all night and didn’t sleep.
I am really at this stage. It is 2:13 am and I am using my time to do something mindless and zone out but inside I am feeling this deep pain off ….sadness or something and worry and outside I keep crying.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I think pets are our kind of people.

They are part of family. Had a tortie once that I raised from a kitten she always needed to have a paw on me when she joined me in the bed. Sadly she developed liver cancer. As Iwas with het through life I felt i needed to be a witness to her death. It was the hardest thing that I have done in my life.
I am sorry about your cat — all my cats, I have raised since they were kittens. Technically my siblings/child: My first one, 4 months, then 5 months, then my little bear at 3 months (more my child really)…and then this little owl and his half brother at 5 months. The little owl was so small — he is gray and looks like an owl. The vet thinks that he is a small one that didn’t develop properly. He also needs to have a paw on someone when he’s sleeping.

I have said goodbye to only one of my cats (my little penguin), I was away at university when my first cat I had to say goodbye to on skype chat. Saying goodbye to my guinea pig was difficult but it was not the same as it was with the little penguin (tuxedo). It is still the hardest thing I have ever done. And I really relate to what you have said. Thank you for taking the time (actually also to everyone on this thread), it really is helpful to have people understand.
As tough as it is not having your kitty home, keep in mind that you paid attention and took action promptly. That matters. The sooner an obstruction is treated the better the outcome.
Only that he was drooling And his behavior was strange From usually how he is. I really hope that this surgery goes well — although right now, I dont feel anything except this sadness and worry and feeling this something is happening anxiety.
Oh dear :-( I'm so sorry that this wasn't a great update from the vet to say the least. I really hope everything will be ok and they can work out what's going on and fix everything.
Yes. I had really very much hoped that it would be ”heres the obstruction, got it out or he’s passed it out himself so all good”. She seems hopeful that the surgery will go well. I am the one saying IF he survives Because to me, it just seems like so much unknown and so many things could go wrong.

New Threads

Top Bottom