• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

computer nerds come forth by brethren

basically im just looking for opinions on various bits and pieces to see if they are worth getting

hard drives, to start with i thought of raiding 4 150gb raptors about 100 quid a pop, but i looked and can get a 300gb raptor for 160, which is tempting, thoughts please people

the reason for me looking at the raptors is they have a higher rated MTBF than an SSD and £ per gig they are cheaper considering the performance

these drives will be the OS and Games, i wil get a 2Tb disk for media

oh and yeah i know its going to be expensive :D

EDIT: also anyone know if there is any benefit of raiding smaller disks?
EDIT of EDIT: i have around 300gb of games + about 50gb of programs

Hi,

Do you know what raid`ing is all about?
Are you going for safety or performance?

As you´re a gamer, you`re prolly going for performance... :shifty:
There are various raid-tests out there, done by various computer magazines. I suggest you check out a few... :)
Maybe it`s enough for you to just get a hdd with a bigger buffer & more rpm (10000)?

I wouldnt worry too much about MTBF. (Or are you indeed going for safety and that is very important to you?)

EDIT: also anyone know if there is any benefit of raiding smaller disks?
Of coures. Why would the size make any difference? :unsure:

f.

hey

yes i know what raiding is all about
going for performance

looking into it further, i may just get 4 500/750gb 7500rpm 32mb cache drives and raid 5 or 0 them
this way massively more storage and cost less than half the price as 4 raptors

Lol @ the title.

I can't really help you as i'm not into the whole RAID thing. All I know is I have RAID 0 on my hard drive and it gives some performance boost or something like that. I did read briefly about it on Wikipedia but meh...

Man, raiding is old school, just go for the saturated SATA2 or wait for usb 3.0 :p lolz
shiftyninja.gif

New Threads

Top Bottom