• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Comparing PWM Case Fans (120mm x 15mm)

Judge

V.I.P Member
An interesting quandary. Comparing two fans of the same dimensions. One with what I consider to have rather predictable performance stats while the other seems something between a mystery and a falsehood, given how they choose to advertise their product. (Slim fans in particular, as their potential use in a specific case requires half the 30mm depth of most case fans.)

With fan noise (<21dB) almost always being my most primary concern (non-gaming usage). Vendors posting noise factors in Sones both puzzle and irritate me.

Case and point:

1) Scythe Kaze Flex II 120 Slim PWM -Maximum Noise: 23.9dB, Max. Speed: 1500 RPM, Airflow Capacity: 39.44 CFM

2) ARCTIC P12 Slim PWM -Maximum Noise: 0.3 Sones ( equivalent to 10.64dB ) , Max. Speed: 2100 RPM, Airflow Capacity: 41.1 CFM

* Is one of them less than honest about the performance of their product?

* Or could such disparity be authentic?

* Or am I simply observing the difference between a high static pressure fan and a simple high airflow fan? (Differences that some vendors may not want to heavily emphasize to limit their marketability.)

Last edited:
(Slim fans in particular, as their potential use in a specific case requires half the 30mm depth of most case fans.)
It sounds like you might be better off buying a larger case, one that has been specifically designed for proper air flow. Then your only consideration would be the noise.

It sounds like you might be better off buying a larger case, one that has been specifically designed for proper air flow. Then your only consideration would be the noise.
The case dimensions are fine. However the front mounting for a 120mm fan enclosure is only 15mm+ deep. Anything thicker and I can't close the front cover of the case. Basically the whole bottom of the front is open to take in air with minimal mesh considerations.

Making the depth the real issue, on a case I already have. The one that used to house the guts of the computer I am typing this message on.

If I could get past the depth of the fan, I have access to a plethora of 120mm fans to suit my purpose. But alas, no dice! Either of these fans should suffice in this instance, but I'm just a bit curious about the stats and claims as posted in Amazon. I get spooked every time I see noise determined in "Sones" rather than "dB".

Bottom line is that it would be a shame (and expense) not to use this case. But who knows? I still may do just that...hard to say at the moment. It doesn't help that I have a thing for 3.5 and 5.25 drive bays, which are pretty sparse on currently sold cases. One for a DVD drive, the other for a removable SSD enclosure. Things this old case still has...

Last edited:
Just to throw another spanner in the works, but have you looked at the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12? Quoted by some as the “quietest slim 120 mm fan”. Don’t know much about it myself, and no idea of MTBF, but it pops up in lists of the top slim 120 mm fans and the noise level is impressively low.

Just to throw another spanner in the works, but have you looked at the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12? Quoted by some as the “quietest slim 120 mm fan”. Don’t know much about it myself, and no idea of MTBF, but it pops up in lists of the top slim 120 mm fans and the noise level is impressively low.
Thanks....found it on Amazon right off, but am puzzled as to how I missed it. Maybe danced right over the brand name having never heard of it. A "slim" PWM fan operating at 1300 RPM with noise at 17dB moving air at 54CFM sounds very realistic to me. Advertised for dual purpose between static air pressure and high air flow.

Only drawback I see is the price (only four dollars less than a $26 Noctua equivalent) and customer comments about noise don't look encouraging though. Though I've also learned over the years to take negative comments in Amazon "with a grain of salt". Another weird aspect of my quandary is the disparity in cost of what these retailers are charging for their fans.

I've owned some 80mm fans for years that produced less than 21dB noise...which I've always used as a benchmark relative to how much noise I'm willing to tolerate. I'm still mulling over considering purchasing a Fractal Design Define 7 "Mini" case, though it has no 3.5 or 5.25 bays as does my spare case requiring that 15mm slim fan in the front. The "Define 7 soundproofed" case also has only narrow openings with mesh on both sides of the front, using two 140mm fans to draw air in.

Yet another thing to ponder- a tradeoff in features in terms of questionable airflow versus soundproofing. Though again, this system won't be used for gaming purposes that ultimately generate much higher CPU and GPU temperatures. Ironically my old case that I'm still considering was using all the guts of my existing system (in a smaller case) yet with only a single 120mm case fan provided essentially the same temperatures as what I get presently with one 120mm rear fan, and a 180mm front fan. Cold weather temps tend to remain in the 30-40 range, and warm weather temps in the 40-50 range tops.

All this over a fan. "Have autism, will travel"! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom