• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Comfy Clothes

Minty

One of my worst struggles with autism has to be dressing myself. I can rarely tolerate long sleeves, I wouldn’t wear jeans for most of my life until I discovered stretch denim, and I hate fitted shirts. Anything with tags is torture, and I’m pretty sure I only own one bra I can wear for more than a few hours.

Do you guys have a favorite outfit, or an odd sensory requirement for clothes?

One of my worst struggles with autism has to be dressing myself. I can rarely tolerate long sleeves, I wouldn’t wear jeans for most of my life until I discovered stretch denim, and I hate fitted shirts. Anything with tags is torture, and I’m pretty sure I only own one bra I can wear for more than a few hours.

As far as I'm concerned bras are the female curse and the pits for everyone female. I also HATE tight clothing either tops or bottoms and also find labels/tags irritating. I do wear jeans almost all the time but they are so loose they are practically falling off and old enough to be very soft. So you don't have a corner on this market :D
Of course I'm not a young, skinny pretty thing either so I guess that partially accounts for my attitude towards clothes.

Yes! I favor cotton. Second-hand Claire thing tends to be softer than new. I am a barefooter, but when I do wear shoes to run errands in community, I only wear very comfortable, wide, flexible sneakers or moccasins. Yes, in deep snow, I’ll wear boots, but they are extra wide.
Ball cap all the time outdoors, to cut down on glare, except for a warm wool hat in winter. (There is a fleece liner, so I can’t feel the wool.)

The rules i have sound almost exactly like yours, except for the tags. unless they really stick out and bother me, i don't mind them. i love short and elbow length sleeves, and to this day cannot wear sweaters or long sleeve shirts. i do not like anything baggy, pants or tops.also can't tolerate a wide variety of pants (jeans because i cant move in them, those patterned leggings, nylons, ripped pants, and probably a whole bunch of other things) i have grown to tolerate socks and shoes, but i'll still take them off whenever i can. my favourite outfit is all dresses all the time, and if not, short shorts and skirts. i don't know why but it just is. i have to wear soft bras all the time because it feels uncomfortable if i don't. a lot of fabrics bother me so i just wear plain t-shirts and yoga pants all the time.

I thought the Chem Warfare suits were kind of comfy in an isolated-from-the-world sort of way.
IEZSQ73YFZB55J6BU5DDGSKREQ.jpg

If my feet aren't comfortable, that ruins everything. I mean, I get on with my day, but it's with a constant background "noise" of discomfort and strain. So I went "crazy" buying up every kind of shoe I needed in the one brand I have found to be comfortable. Glad I did - got them all on sale and that brand no longer exists.

I own one bra for "emergencies". (no idea what that means)and can't wear anything tight in the shoulders or elbows. Some days I have to wear very soft clothes others I can get by a little easier. Itchy socks get tossed. My shoes need good size toe boxes, flexible soles, no heel. I love loose fitting cargo pants and longish swirly skirts, very comfy.

Tags never used to bother me until I discovered tagless t-shirts. Now I'm constantly irritated by tags, especially the cleaning instructions on dress shirts that are sewn into the side seam right there at the ribcage. If I can get away with it, I will never buy another shirt that has tags.

Man, clothes are a huge thing for me. I now wear the EXACT same thing every single day. Before that, I had clothes for outside, clothes for inside and then transition clothes for if I had been outside but was not ready for a shower. Then there were clothes for being cute (oh, that rare occasion), clothes for special occasions, clothes for working out, clothes for running...........AND each season had its own line. Let's just say I was VERY good friends with thrift shops.

Then, after my accident, I can't really do executive functioning anymore. So it's the SAME THING EVERY DAY. This is kids' leggins (cheaper) with kids' short (very cheap!!!) so my butt doesn't say hi to everyone, a camisole, and man's long sleeve T-shirt because they are more comfy than women's. WOmens are all cutie with deep neckline and dumb sleeves that a all short and werid. Men's are just comfort. OH, and I cannot forget, a knit hat even in summer.

If you can picture this! I may post. It's funny. I can still dress nice if I wanted to. But I don't.

I cannot wear any form of trousers.

I feel most comfort in dresses, because I hate things around my waist. And don't go there with bras; hate the horrible things, but sadly, it is bra and nice shaped breasts or no bra and saggy and well, there you go.

I have taken to wearing a summer top, underneath an item of clothing, when seen in public and does act as a bra.

Just had an operation and so, couldn't wear a bra anyway and then, discovered that just a little top underneath clothing is a nice alternative.

I have always tolerated tags; only some I have had to cut off, due to how irriating they made my skin, but generally I don't, because they are a guide to which is back and front on items that there is no discernable way of knowing.

I had clothes for outside, clothes for inside and then transition clothes for if I had been outside but was not ready for a shower. Then there were clothes for being cute (oh, that rare occasion), clothes for special occasions, clothes for working out, clothes for running...........AND each season had its own line.

This is me! I am learning to wear the same thing, because I am just not rich enough to have a huge wardrobe ( how do famous women cope)? I had to ask my husband if he minded awfully seeing me twice in the same outfit and since he doesn't, it has taken a lot of stress away from me.

Fabrics are extremely important to me. I permit myself to wear artificial fibres in winter. But summer are cotton and linens.

My husband often jokes and says: where are you off to? Because my casual clothes are to him not casual. I seem to have a sense of what is ok for casual and what is not.

When it comes to clothes, comfort is the only thing that I care about. Style means less than nothing to me. My every day wear is grey uniform pants and a plain t-shirt, any color. For footwear, I like pull-on shoes or boots. However, I do have a problem with footwear. I find something that I like, only to find out that the store only has it up to size 12. I wear size 13. Like everything else, footwear has to be comfortable. I do have some fancier clothes that my wife makes me wear when we are out and about.

I think that one of the best things that ever happened, is when the clothing industry figured out that it is cheaper to print information than it is to sew tags in.

I actually prefer more fitted clothing (jeans, corsets, long sleeves, long boots, etc) and don't like having my skin exposed as it burns so quickly. But certain materials make me feel almost sick. Velvet is the worst. I can't touch that stuff. I can only sleep in baggy silk/thin satin clothing, so all of my nightclothes are made of silky fabrics. My duvet covers, pillow cases, etc are also silky material. Although I have (fake) fur throws over them in the winter. Basically, if something is going to be touching my skin for a while, then it needs to be very smooth fabric or it gets irritating fast.

Edit: And yes, I agree on tags. All mine get cut off the second I get home with new clothes.

I mean, I get on with my day, but it's with a constant background "noise" of discomfort and strain.

This explains perfectly how I feel about socks. I'll wear them, because my feet get really cold and I don't want my feet slipping about in shoes, but the seams annoy me no end. I'm constantly aware of them if they move out of place. I don't like tags either, but only in the neck area or t-shirts with a neck that's too high - a real problem when I see cool t-shirts but they only do them in mens. How men put up with collars so high, I'll never understand.

This explains perfectly how I feel about socks. I'll wear them, because my feet get really cold and I don't want my feet slipping about in shoes, but the seams annoy me no end. I'm constantly aware of them if they move out of place. I don't like tags either, but only in the neck area or t-shirts with a neck that's too high - a real problem when I see cool t-shirts but they only do them in mens. How men put up with collars so high, I'll never understand.
OH yes, the seams on socks are terrible.

Can't wear long polyester socks I'm allergic to them I never experienced anaphylaxis
I can wear polar fleece as long as I remember I can overheat,cotton doesn't work for me The way it used to ,but I can't wear anything else when it gets to about 15° And above .
I wear long sleeves as I have poor circulation.You're obviously still at the stage of having better circulation .
I suffer skin irritation and sometimes try calamine lotion ,it doesn't really work for me now , it might work for you if you're immune system is better than mine.
Can't wear hats that are tight on the top of my head but if I wear a hood I need a tight around the lower part of my face .

New Threads

Top Bottom