• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clothing Preference?

Definitely a fan of loose clothing, although I've worn some slightly tighter-fitting shirts, and they aren't so bad as long as the material is soft and a bit stretchy.

My chief preference is still for black clothes, although I'll wear wolf shirts in almost any color. I've also got some other shirts in white, grey, green, some beige and one that is brown, but I generally avoid most colors.

Interesting. This was just on my mind this morning, as having joined this community recently has prompted me to observe my own behaviors more closely in this context.

I have always been a fashion catastrophe. Once in a while I'll make a close study of "normal" clothing for my social status and try to emulate it, but it never sticks. Left to myself I tend to wear dark, shapeless clothes, sometimes punctuated by an idiosyncratic taste. Today, for instance, I attended a client meeting in my normal dark pants (I've discovered black cook's cargo pants), a dark green longsleeve T, and a purple Hawaiian shirt.

I have a thing for Hawaiian shirts. I have no idea why.

Interesting. This was just on my mind this morning, as having joined this community recently has prompted me to observe my own behaviors more closely in this context.

I have always been a fashion catastrophe. Once in a while I'll make a close study of "normal" clothing for my social status and try to emulate it, but it never sticks. Left to myself I tend to wear dark, shapeless clothes, sometimes punctuated by an idiosyncratic taste. Today, for instance, I attended a client meeting in my normal dark pants (I've discovered black cook's cargo pants), a dark green longsleeve T, and a purple Hawaiian shirt.

I have a thing for Hawaiian shirts. I have no idea why.
When i was growing up between 1st and 4th grade i would wear only Hawaiian shirts that were button down, they were more of a silk type button down. We had to either wear polo shirts or button downs and i hated polos.

In middle school i started to blend more and got used to certain brands of polos that had a softer material so i would wear both but i would tend to get in short habits of wearing one type or the other like a weak of polos two weeks of button down etc....

Now I tend to wear tshirts with soft material or those stretchy absorbent running shirts. And will mainly wear athletic shorts and sweat pants and occasionally jeans despite them not being my favorite.

I like high-quality golf shirts and cargo pants. My favorite shoes are my old Adidas spikeless golf shoes.

I mostly wear elasticated maxi skirts (trousers and leggings just don't fit me well), t-shirts and soft structured tops in stretch materials, and cardigans (have to be cotton or viscose). For shoes I prefer smart trainers but they have to match or tone with my outfits, I also have some pull on Chelsea boots, some Mary Jane flats and some clogs though I tend to wear the clogs for cleaning outside as they are quite a high wedge heel and I have fallen over when wearing them out on the street.[emoji15] [emoji15] One thing that I am obsessive about is colour matching, I am by nature an artist and can see tiny differences in shade and tone that most cannot. Everything has to match including socks and hair scrunchies. I can also wear no more than three solid colours per outfit. I have had to leave places and events early when I have realised that something doesn't quite match as I thought it did. Ditto goes for lint or creases. I had a beautiful long coat once, that cost a lot of money but I gave it away as the lint it attracted was such a distraction.

I'm usually casual, but I love formal attire, seeing as I own 60 neckties, a suit, many dress shirts, dress pants, and since I'm in a choir, I even own a tuxedo.

bb4a676cd7a4a9aa908e759e002f3a6b.jpg

I've been known to wear similar attire as a cowpuncher. If you look closely my foot wear often isn't what any cowboy would wear, they are 8inch lace up work boots with a steel toe and a piece of protective steel in the footbed.

In another thread I talk about what I wear in detail, I guess if you're that interested you can check out that thread.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a diagnosed Aspie - just someone contemplating whether I should be evaluated).

I prefer non-busy patterns or solid colors, and go for white, black, grey or muted colors more readily than bright colors.

Ever since I discovered Crocs shoes that have normal-looking shapes (rather than the original, awkward shape), I wear those almost every day.

In college I went through a phase of pulling my hair back with a bandana, and I had a few copies of the same bandana in different colors.

I prefer to look relatively androgynous but will wear dresses to events for entertainment (I would be even more entertained by wearing a suit if it wouldn't invite odd glances).

I dislike high heels and very much dislike thong sandals or any other shoes with an object between the toes.

This summer I'm wearing Dickies surgical scrubs that don't look like it, with many layered cargo pockets on one side, so comfortable and they come in many colors. I like color. Don't like patterns, unless it is tye dye.

Today, flip flops, soft board shorts from Greater Good, big soft t shirt. COMFORT COMFORT COMFORT. Fortunately, I can work in "resort casual" which is my fave.

From the link:

Recently, I went to my sister's 40th birthday party. It was a coldish night, so I wore a long coat. I call it my "Matrix Coat" because it's a little like the coats they wear in the Matrix movies. I was very very comfortable with the coat on and even though it warmed up because the party was held indoors, I still did not take it off.

I must have been asked about 20 times (by nosey do-gooders) why I didn't take the coat off and "wasn't I hot in that coat...". In the end, I finally took the coat off in order to shut people up. I left the party about 10 minutes later, so I'm wondering if the coat was protecting me (making social contact easier).

For most of Jr high, I wore a coat my mother made from towels. Even in Florida. It was so soft and thick and protective. I couldn't help it.

From the link:

Recently, I went to my sister's 40th birthday party. It was a coldish night, so I wore a long coat. I call it my "Matrix Coat" because it's a little like the coats they wear in the Matrix movies. I was very very comfortable with the coat on and even though it warmed up because the party was held indoors, I still did not take it off.

I must have been asked about 20 times (by nosey do-gooders) why I didn't take the coat off and "wasn't I hot in that coat...". In the end, I finally took the coat off in order to shut people up. I left the party about 10 minutes later, so I'm wondering if the coat was protecting me (making social contact easier).

For most of Jr high, I wore a coat my mother made from towels. Even in Florida. It was so soft and thick and protective. I couldn't help it.

Ha - I'll wear my coats indoors too.

I never would've thought of making a coat from towels. If you want to, post a picture.

It was intended as a kind of beach coverup, which made sense. I did not :)

And oh my goodness, I would have never let anyone take my picture in it :)

I've been known to wear similar attire as a cowpuncher. If you look closely my foot wear often isn't what any cowboy would wear, they are 8inch lace up work boots with a steel toe and a piece of protective steel in the footbed.

In another thread I talk about what I wear in detail, I guess if you're that interested you can check out that thread.

My brother-in-law is a real cowboy and he wears basically the same footwear as you. When I asked him why he didn't wear cowboy boots, he said that he did not want people to think that he was a truck driver. Go figure.

New Threads

Top Bottom