• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Christmas Lunch?

For over 50 years, the three of us, Me, Mom, and Dad, shared Christmas.
Anyone else beyond that would have ruined the day for me.
So, Christmas was really just a yearly tradition of the three of us celebrating being together. We could all be ourselves.
There were presents and decorations. Not so much for a religious value or to give the neighbors a light show.
It was for our own show of love for each other.

Same for Thanksgiving.

As far as Christmas day food:
Turkey- potatoes- sweet potato casserole- beets- stuffing- home- made slaw and cranberries. Pumpkin pie for later in the day. Country cooking.

Now that is over, and Christmas is whatever it turns out to be. Not much.
I also live with a man because I need a place to live. But no romance or happiness
together. Platonic. It's like being alone.

@grommet I am a relationship therapist and I totally agree with @Gerald Wilgus that we get better at relationships with practice.

I also think that you did very well to be in a relationship for 8 years mostly happily, that is a good achievement, despite that it ended, which is usually a sad time.

It's great that you have realised another relationship can be possible for you.

Speaking about Christmas food, we are having beef and potatoes and peas, and probably some chocolates! And going for a long walk first too, so we'll be hungry!

We'll have our big Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. I'm planning to make a stuffed turkey breast, sausage cornbread dressing and gravy, a big fresh salad, steamed broccoli and probably a big pot of mixed turnip, collard and mustard greens cooked with a ham hock. Dessert will be apple pie and homemade ice cream.

We tend to eat leftovers on Christmas Day such as turkey sandwiches and a homemade vegetable soup, although I will make a breakfast casserole (stale bread cubes soaked in an egg and milk mixture, with sausage or ham cubes, onions, jalapeños, cheese and spices) to eat while we open gifts.

Happy St. Lucia Day to the Scandinavians today. Eat a gingersnap cookie for me!

I'm not familiar with Christmas lunch, we have Christmas dinners here but not lunch.

Happy St. Lucia Day to the Scandinavians today. Eat a gingersnap cookie for me!

Yes, that is today, I saw a parade earlier and I have gingersnap cookies. Happy Sankta Lucia everyone :)

1670947855882.png 1670947579120.png

I'm probably going to have that portion of chicken curry I found at the back of the freezer with rice and veg.

I've been putting the silver insulation that's suddenly all the rage here, behind all the radiators in the house. My inner engineer tells me this is kinda silly because that's not how it works but it makes everyone think they are warmer lol!
My Dad did the same thing, apparently fans above the radiators may increase their efficiency, I've seen products that fit on top of radiators and blow the hot air out. Suppose I could experiment, I've got plenty of PC fans.

Why is "food time" synonymous with "social time" for so many? Yer supposed to be chewing the darned food, not spraying it everywhere while asking Brenda what her work day was like.
Yup, those misophonia triggering eating noises ruining my Christmas dinner as usual.

Anyway, food wise this year we have turkey, stuffing and cranberry sausage wrapped in bacon, hand made by a local butcher. I've already sampled one, they're gooood, such a great idea. A few of those and the usual veg, including the sprouts, just on the plate for show.

It's on Christmas Day, and we call it "Christmas Dinner", even though it's usually held right around 2pm.

These are the typical Christmas Dinner Foods:

Turkey and/or Ham
Baked Stuffing (from inside the bird)
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
Jellied Cranberry Sauce
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Warm Cinnamon Baked Applesauce
Devilled Eggs
Green Salad
Macaroni Salad
Potato Salad
Kings Hawaiian Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Cherry Pie
Marionberry Pie
Apple Pie
Cranberry Juice
Apple Juice
Milk
Wine
Cookies
Banana Bread
Zucchini or Pumpkin Bread

It's possible the term 'Binge eating' could be used for Christmas Day at ours.
We wont be doing a family dinner this year. (skint) but previous years have seen the following:

Huge roast turkey dinner with roast or baked everything else and approx seven different types of vegetables.
Baked rice pudding for dessert.
(pudding rice boiled in milk with sugar)
I'm not sure where everyone puts it all but there are no refusals.

Approximately four hours later a buffet with four different types of cooked meats.
Salads, party foods - sausage rolls, mini pizzas, chicken in varying coatings and seasonings, cheese and pinapple, pickled onions, breadsticks and dips, more vegetables (beetroot, coleslaw, celery, more types of onion, eggs, snack foods, peanuts, crisps, cup cakes, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.
Then three or four types of desserts. hot and cold.

It's as if folk start eating at 1pm and don't stop grazing til midnight. Much alcohol involved too.

Of course, at about 6 or 7pm the competitiveness begins.
Many games, many challenges, many prizes.

Instead of the family squabbling and falling out, we compete through games. Clear winners (and losers) This can go on til the early hours.
We're all quite competitive :)

Is probably the only time we're all off work and together.
All at the same time, in the same place.

This year for Thanksgiving I tried the Smoked Turkey from COSTCO. it was delicious and tender and I really enjoyed the depth of the smoke. I have done smoked Turkey on my Traeger and I have to say the COSTCO smoked turkey is excellent.

Not Christmas, but for New Year's Eve my spouse and I usually have a simple meal of a rack of lamb (my garlic jelly is great in cooking this. rub it in and let it sit for an hour then cover it with herbs then roast to medium rare) Rosemary roast potatoes, and a wilted cucumber salad.

My Mum used to make her own Christmas Puddings, they'd hang from the ceiling in the laundry for a few weeks before Christmas. The tradition was to put money in the puddings, sixpences and thrupences. But we had to use pre 1945 coins, newer ones were poisonous. As the coins became rare the tradition died out.

My Mum used to make her own Christmas Puddings, they'd hang from the ceiling in the laundry for a few weeks before Christmas. The tradition was to put money in the puddings, sixpences and thrupences. But we had to use pre 1945 coins, newer ones were poisonous. As the coins became rare the tradition died out.
This is so foreign and exciting to me. I haven't had a bagged pudding since my Scots Canadian grandmother was alive. I don't know what a sixpence or a thrupence is, at all. Please forgive me. I've only heard of such things in Dickens novels. Please explain.

This is so foreign and exciting to me. I haven't had a bagged pudding since my Scots Canadian grandmother was alive. I don't know what a sixpence or a thrupence is, at all. Please forgive me. I've only heard of such things in Dickens novels. Please explain.
A six penny piece and a three penny piece respectively.

The three penny coin here was often called a Tray Bit, it was such a small coin that it was easily lost, most people saw them as an annoyance and so that was the coins you'd put in the collection tray at church on Sunday.

[Edit] Pre 1945 Australian silver coins were pure silver and non-toxic, after that they started mixing tin with the silver.

A six penny piece and a three penny piece respectively.

The three penny coin here was often called a Tray Bit, it was such a small coin that it was easily lost, most people saw them as an annoyance and so that was the coins you'd put in the collection tray at church on Sunday.
It reminds me of the song:

"Christmas is coming
The goose is getting fat
Please put a penny in an old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny
A hay penny will do
If you haven't got a hay penny
God bless you"

If you haven't got a penny
A hay penny will do
Just a little bit more currency trivia, if anyone’s interested.

Australian money was based on English money and the coins and notes looked very similar and had the same names.

Half Penny – copper “Ha’penny”
Penny – copper

Three penny – silver “Thrupence”
Six Penny – silver “Sixpence”
Twelve Penny – silver “Schilling”

20 Schillings or 240 pence made 1 Pound.

We had 10 Schilling Notes, as well as 1 Pound and 5 Pound notes. Very few people ever saw a 5 Pound note.

Just before we changed over to decimal currency in 1966 my father was earning 8/10/6 a week, 8 pounds, 10 schillings and sixpence. He thought he was doing alright for himself.

It's on Christmas Day, and we call it "Christmas Dinner", even though it's usually held right around 2pm.

These are the typical Christmas Dinner Foods:

Turkey and/or Ham
Baked Stuffing (from inside the bird)
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
Jellied Cranberry Sauce
Candied Sweet Potatoes
Warm Cinnamon Baked Applesauce
Devilled Eggs
Green Salad
Macaroni Salad
Potato Salad
Kings Hawaiian Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Cherry Pie
Marionberry Pie
Apple Pie
Cranberry Juice
Apple Juice
Milk
Wine
Cookies
Banana Bread
Zucchini or Pumpkin Bread
That all sounds so lovely! I have just one question. Can I come?! :)

Of course, at about 6 or 7pm the competitiveness begins.
Every Christmas my mother's extended family would play poker from after supper (Great Polish food) until midnight. One Christmas I brought home somebody from my dorm. He thought he was a good poker player and my relatives cleaned him out.

Xmas will be just me, however l may be living with someone in 2024, so it will be a Xmas dinner early at lunch. So this year, l may splurge and have hot chocolate, maybe vegan pumpkin pie, and whatever Trader Joe's has if l can find parking.

While Australia switched from sterling silver after 1945, Britain did after 1919, and so if using British 3d and 6d, as was often the case for those in Canada, one would need to use 1919 or earlier dated ones to avoid problems for those with nickel allergies etc. (I have no idea why they decided to add random metals to the alloy rather than just using copper)

New Threads

Top Bottom