• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Christmas Lunch?

This is so foreign and exciting to me. I haven't had a bagged pudding since my Scots Canadian grandmother was alive. I don't know what a sixpence or a thrupence is, at all. Please forgive me. I've only heard of such things in Dickens novels. Please explain.
in the uk it was called a threpenny(three pennies) bit,10 note was called 10 bob.

UK went decimal in 1971, oh god why! oh why! hate metric! i remember buying chips(home fries) for 20p and thought that was expensive ,they £ 2-3 now

in the uk it was called a threpenny(three pennies) bit,10 note was called 10 bob.

UK went decimal in 1971, oh god why! oh why! hate metric! i remember buying chips(home fries) for 20p and thought that was expensive ,they £ 2-3 now

You Brits have some good words and expressions. I especially like the 'rhyming slang'. I heard a guy say "Use your loaf". Apparently that means you should use your head and think. Because "loaf" comes from "loaf of bread" and "bread" rhymes with "head". :) I have heard so much rhyme slang that made no sense to me because I didn't know the connection. So it sounds like they just use a random word.

Last edited:

Yes, it was the same here, I just didn't want to write too much and confuse people. If something cost thrupence you would pay for it with a thrupenny bit. It's died out now but for many years our 20 cent coin was called a Two Bob Bit.

My grandfather had a classic Two Bob Watch, we didn't have our own steel works before WW II and our hardest metal was nickel silver so that's what the watch was made from, the springs were imported from England.

An old phrase "tinny as a two bob watch" is still used but these days people don't know where it came from, those watches didn't work for very long.

You Brits have some good words and expressions. I especially like the 'rhyming slang'.

My father used to use a lot of these terms too. A common one was "Watch where you're putting your plates of meat!". Feet. Dead Horse was sauce.

A saying still used often is "Wouldn't be dead for quids.". This means you're happy.

Quid is still often used in England today for a Pound (money), from the Latin phrase Quid Pro Quo.

You Brits have some good words and expressions. I especially like the 'rhyming slang'. I heard a guy say "Use your loaf". Apparently that means you should use your head and think. Because "loaf" comes from "loaf of bread" and "bread" rhymes with "head". :) I have heard so much rhyme slang that made no sense to me because I didn't know the connection. So it sounds like they just use a random word.
Cockney rhyming slang (it adapts to whatever is most used )is different to other slang ,mostly its(other slang) pure laziness and also modern english is an unnatural language to communicate in.
Scandi and latinate languages are slightly more sensible ,french is a bit strange and sexist

Cockney rhyming slang (it adapts to whatever is most used )is different to other slang ,mostly its(other slang) pure laziness and also modern english is an unnatural language to communicate in.
Scandi and latinate languages are slightly more sensible ,french is a bit strange and sexist

The rhyming slang is just a little funny for people who don't know about the connections, the word connections. For me for example it often sounds like people are using completely random words that has nothing to do with what they are talking about. :)

Yes, it was the same here, I just didn't want to write too much and confuse people. If something cost thrupence you would pay for it with a thrupenny bit. It's died out now but for many years our 20 cent coin was called a Two Bob Bit.

My grandfather had a classic Two Bob Watch, we didn't have our own steel works before WW II and our hardest metal was nickel silver so that's what the watch was made from, the springs were imported from England.

An old phrase "tinny as a two bob watch" is still used but these days people don't know where it came from, those watches didn't work for very long.

My father used to use a lot of these terms too. A common one was "Watch where you're putting your plates of meat!". Feet. Dead Horse was sauce.

A saying still used often is "Wouldn't be dead for quids.". This means you're happy.

Quid is still often used in England today for a Pound (money), from the Latin phrase Quid Pro Quo.
Im still flabbergasted that Australia isnt a republic, i was convinced when i visited in 96 ,that i was going to an exotic republic ,with dollars, shocked when i found out Queen elizabeth was still head of state, i knew about the commonwealth ,but i thought oh they just do it for sport and trade

The rhyming slang is just a little funny for people who don't know about the connections, the word connections. For me for example it often sounds like people are using completely random words that has nothing to do with what they are talking about. :)
its meant to be that ,but the police keep learning the uptodate ones(new slang words) so it becomes pointless

Im from n.e.england so definitely not a cockney only taken me 52 years to know what a barnet is

Im still flabbergasted that Australia isnt a republic,
Me too, but this is what happens when you let existing politicians dictate the options to us. What they want and what we expect and demand are worlds apart. Unless they offer us models that we can accept the vote will always be No.

Our politicians have dreams of power and avarice, we want a hangman with a ready noose watching over the parliament.

Im from n.e.england so definitely not a cockney only taken me 52 years to know what a barnet is

I had to google "barnet" and got sidetracked because I saw this:
Bubble Bath = Laugh. "Are you having a bubble?".

This is complicated, this slang is very complicated. :)

I speak English proper, dun I?

I grew up in Adelaide, Australia's city with the greatest number of Britsh migrants.

I had to google "barnet" and got sidetracked because I saw this:
Bubble Bath = Laugh. "Are you having a bubble?".

This is complicated, this slang is very complicated. :)
yes i try not to go down rabbit holes (sidetracked)or i might not feed the cat not a good thought

I speak English proper, dun I?

I grew up in Adelaide, Australia's city with the greatest number of Britsh migrants.
English people dont speak proper English, just crappy modern contract english, give me old English any day or Scots Gaelic

I met a tall dark skinned man in a pub up the top end once, I recognised his accent very quickly and asked him how long he'd been in Australia. He laughed and showed me the address on his driver's license, he was Aboriginal and from Borroloola but he had an English girlfriend.

I met a tall dark skinned man in a pub up the top end once, I recognised his accent very quickly and asked him how long he'd been in Australia. He laughed and showed me the address on his driver's license, he was Aboriginal and from Borroloola but he had an English girlfriend.
I was in kakadu camp site and i was flabbergasted !to hear my accent ,looked out and a female staff member was cleaning a room ,yes she visited my town a couple of years ago ,said couldnt stand the cold ,will never visit again i understood

New Threads

Top Bottom