• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have a friend who lives in a remote location. They would like to have chickens, rabbits, goats, and other stock, as well as a garden.

Their property occasionally plays host to foxes, deer, and even bears, as well as other wildlife, which makes agriculture very difficult to maintain. Anything yummy is food to wildlife.

Does anyone know of economical solutions to this wildlife problem? Maybe recommend a good chicken house/tractor, deer fencing, and other anti-predator steps my friend can take?

Create and fence a chicken yard with chicken wire. Bury the bottom of it in the ground or put heavy logs or rocks along the bottom so predators can't dig under the wire. We also cover the top of the chicken yard fence with bird-netting to prevent wild birds from contacting the chickens and vice-versa. Domestic chickens and wild birds often contaminate each other with diseases such as Avian flu.

I have a friend who lives in a remote location. They would like to have chickens, rabbits, goats, and other stock, as well as a garden.

Their property occasionally plays host to foxes, deer, and even bears, as well as other wildlife, which makes agriculture very difficult to maintain. Anything yummy is food to wildlife.

Does anyone know of economical solutions to this wildlife problem? Maybe recommend a good chicken house/tractor, deer fencing, and other anti-predator steps my friend can take?
In my experience a well trained hunting hound is your best option, they provide security for yourself as well as for your animals.

When I say hound I mean Hound, not some little yap yap dog. Some animals find those extremely annoying, buffalo will trample your fences in an attempt to kill those noisy little things.

I trained my dog not to bark, all animals know that if a dog barks it is afraid. Ruby attacked silently like a true hunter. The chooks were her friends and she kept the bower birds off of my tomatoes and chillies.

Without her I could not have provided any of my own food. She also knew that pigs and wallabies were good food and she'd always bring them to me to cook, usually still alive if only just. She didn't like raw meat very much.

ruby-02-jpg.86506

How about keeping deer out of a vegetable garden?
That is exactly the sort of thing Ruby did, if she could tackle a 60 Kg pig by herself I imagine she'd have no trouble with deer. She also hunted differently to most other dogs.

Most dogs will try to grab the skin on an animal's back to try and pull it down. Ruby had an incredibly powerful jaw, she'd run along side and then snap the animals hind leg. As soon as it went down she'd snap the rest of it's legs too, then she'd drag it home.

Yes, a dog will keep wildlife off the property for a big part. In addition to that idea, does anyone have time-proven recommendations for netting, fencing, etc?

I have family in Oregon, USA who run a small farm. They use this and have had success with keeping the deer out and the chickens in. You’ve probably already seen it, but I just wanted to report that it is effective for them.

1672658709890.jpeg

Chi
Sometimes people like to talk about chickens.
Here is a place to talk about your experiences
or ideas/questions about chickens. :chicken:
Chickens are probably much nicer to you when you do not eat them.
They used to hate me but I ate them. I think they are nice or nicer to the people that do not. I do not think they enjoy being eaten.
I love them now. I would like to hold a baby chick
I used to always collect chick plushies at easter and my mum gave me one when I was feeling low.
I would love to hold a little chick so soft and cute. I would laugh and giggle and smile and kiss its head, so cute

I think those things under its chin is a bit disgusting.
Wow they are a bit weirddd to look at but still bountiful
Do you think it would peck your finger?

I've also thought about their appearance many times. Other birds have it as well. It would likely run away. I would be more concerned about being flanked by an enraged rooster.

Here's just a quick example of a turkey that has some disgusting all over it's face:
You know you want to touch it..

face-domestic-turkey-4943798.jpg

I've also thought about their appearance many times. Other birds have it as well. It would likely run away. I would be more concerned about being flanked by an enraged rooster.

Here's just a quick example of a turkey that has some disgusting all over it's face:
You know you want to touch it..

face-domestic-turkey-4943798.jpg

Eww, that just looks like hot sauce that went wrong somehow.
Or an organ that fell out of someone's body.
Yeah not pleasurable to look at but if anyone touched it I would give them $10

New Threads

Top Bottom