• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can’t leave the house, what can help?

taakitz

I’m a 17 year old female who has just recently been diagnosed with aspergers and severe anxiety, so i’m trying to still figure out everything still.

One of my largest problems right now is that i can’t leave the house, can’t go to school and often cancel important appointments.

at least once a month i take a few (unofficial) days off from school as i can’t physically get out of bed as leaving the house (sometimes my room) causes too much anxiety. however, this is becoming more frequent- i haven’t been to school in 3-nearly 4 weeks and i’m falling behind massively in school and suffering as a result (most likely won’t sit exams at this point as so much has been missed).

through CAMHS we’ve identified that i cope with anything and everything by shutting myself off and hiding under a thick, heavy blanket/ duvet but this isn’t a great coping strategy as i seclude myself from important events.

would like to mention that my family have just moved houses this weekend and for the past couple weeks leading up to it and packing, i haven’t been able to cope and deal with the changes.

i’m on here to ask for advice on how to try and go back to school, leave the house and suggestions on other ways to cope with anxiety, problems and change as i don’t really understand myself much yet, thank you.

Is homeschooling an option? Some schools will work with homeschoolers, so that they just need to go to school for evaulations or examinations, things like that.

Even though I always went to a private special needs school for autism, I found it more difficult to attend the school in person as I got closer to completion. Fortunately they offered hybrid attending in person or via computer at home. I did a lot of my senior year at home via computer.

Is homeschooling an option? Some schools will work with homeschoolers, so that they just need to go to school for evaulations or examinations, things like that.

homeschooling isn’t an option currently for me this year. As it is my senior year i may look into homeschool/ online classes for further education. Thank you!

Even though I always went to a private special needs school for autism, I found it more difficult to attend the school in person as I got closer to completion. Fortunately they offered hybrid attending in person or via computer at home. I did a lot of my senior year at home via computer.

homeschooling/ online classes have never been an option for me/ we’ve had no information but i’ll definately look into it for further education!

Force yourself out for a short period. That’s what I do and things tend to be less severe than they are in my head. I’ve got Social and General Anxiety.

homeschooling/ online classes have never been an option for me/ we’ve had no information but i’ll definately look into it for further education!

Yeah unfortunately it's too late to set that up going onto the second semester of senior year.

What about anxiety treatment? Sometimes something as simple as Xanax can remove it. I have had severe generalized anxiety disorder, but it was pretty much cured through medication. Which I no longer need. It's a brain chemistry issue. So it's basically fighting chemistry with chemistry.

Can you get in touch with camhs to ask for guidance?
They may already have some sort of protocol in place for your situation ?
(Possibly arrangements with schools for this event?)

Leaving the house can be a separate thing.
Update your GP with this recent issue.
Ask them for referral to services that work with what you’re experiencing.

Never be afraid of what you’re experiencing and hide hoping it will all go away, it won’t.
Reach out and ask for help from organisations like camhs.

If you think you might not be able to articulate clearly when talking to your g.p, other medical practitioner or clinician, write a few things down first to help you formulate a script.

Sounds like the move has had a major impact and, hopefully, you can adjust soon. How important is attending school to you? Have you considered getting a GED? Just going to a library, taking a test and have your high school equivalency diploma.

Is there anything specific or a list of specific things that make going outside frightening? Or is it more general than that?

But I agree about medication. Not only does it chemically help immediately, but it helps condition you to have positive responses to things you may not otherwise have positives responses to and then after done for long enough, you're fine without the medication because that's just how your body has "always" responded to that.

Force yourself out for a short period. That’s what I do and things tend to be less severe than they are in my head. I’ve got Social and General Anxiety.

i have been outside in this 3/4 weeks to help move and things, although it takes a lot of effort. I mainly can’t go outside in the mornings to school- i know i just need to force myself to go one day and i’ll be alright for a few weeks

Yeah unfortunately it's too late to set that up going onto the second semester of senior year.

What about anxiety treatment? Sometimes something as simple as Xanax can remove it. I have had severe generalized anxiety disorder, but it was pretty much cured through medication. Which I no longer need. It's a brain chemistry issue. So it's basically fighting chemistry with chemistry.

i have only been back to see my therapist once, since my diagnosis just over a month ago- she told me looking into medication is the next step so hopefully something should happen soon as i requested to be put on medication.

Maybe try a small outing and work your way up. First go out of the house and walk to the end of the block. If you're freaking out you can give yourself permission to go home after you reach the end of the block. Gradually increase the distance and time away from home.

Can you get in touch with camhs to ask for guidance?
They may already have some sort of protocol in place for your situation ?
(Possibly arrangements with schools for this event?)

Leaving the house can be a separate thing.
Update your GP with this recent issue.
Ask them for referral to services that work with what you’re experiencing.

Never be afraid of what you’re experiencing and hide hoping it will all go away, it won’t.
Reach out and ask for help from organisations like camhs.

If you think you might not be able to articulate clearly when talking to your g.p, other medical practitioner or clinician, write a few things down first to help you formulate a script.

i’m with CAMHS at the moment, i’ve brought up the issue of not being able to go outside with my therapist, but she doesn’t take me as seriously as i’d like and has only told me to tell her if it persists, i haven’t been back yet to tell her but i will once my next appointment comes around and hope she can help me properly. thank you for the writing tip, i always seem to forget what to say/ don’t know how to say things so i’ll definately try this.

Sounds like the move has had a major impact and, hopefully, you can adjust soon. How important is attending school to you? Have you considered getting a GED? Just going to a library, taking a test and have your high school equivalency diploma.

i live in scotland so a GED isn’t a thing here (as i know of)

i only take maths and english at the moment as any more classes are too stressful for me but at this rate i won’t leave high school with the basic qualifications to get a job with. it won’t be the end of the world as college is an option to pick the qualifications needed, though i’d prefer to have them
sooner rather than later :)

Is there anything specific or a list of specific things that make going outside frightening? Or is it more general than that?

But I agree about medication. Not only does it chemically help immediately, but it helps condition you to have positive responses to things you may not otherwise have positives responses to and then after done for long enough, you're fine without the medication because that's just how your body has "always" responded to that.

some days it is a specific things that set me off, others it’s just general.

i’ll be looking into medication soon so hopefully i can find something that works for me :)

Maybe try a small outing and work your way up. First go out of the house and walk to the end of the block. If you're freaking out you can give yourself permission to go home after you reach the end of the block. Gradually increase the distance and time away from home.

thank you for this suggestion, i’ll definately try myself this as i’ve only been able to leave the house with my mum for a short period of time the past couple weeks.

New Threads

Top Bottom