• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cancer drugs treating autism?

Dadamen

I read some online articles about cancer drugs might treat autism. Because I had cancer these articles recalled my change in social behaviour after chemotherapy. First year or two after chemotherapy usually introverted and asocial I that avoids social occasions became extroverted and wanted to hang out despite being a little odd. But in the last year or two, it is back to old again, introverted asocial and with social anxiety. I wonder if the chemo really made a change in my brain that made me sociable. Or maybe just adolescence because I was 14 and 15 in this social phase (now I'm 17).

@Dadamen

Are you still taking the cancer drugs?
---------------------------------------------
"A low dose of a drug used to treat lymphoma may ease social problems in some forms of autism, a mouse study suggests.

Specifically, the drug might be beneficial for children with autism who carry mutations that affect chromatin, the coiled complex of DNA and protein.

The mice in the study lack part of SHANK3, a gene mutated in up to 2 percent of people with autism. The mice have several features reminiscent of autism, including anxiety, repetitive behaviors and social problems.

A low dose of the drug, romidepsin, alters chromatin and normalizes social behavior in young SHANK3 mutants for at least three weeks..."
Cancer drug shows promise for treating some forms of autism

“In the case of adults with the condition, ongoing medication would probably be required to treat symptoms..."
Reversing autism with a cancer drug

To be honest, I don't like the idea of cancer drugs treating anyone but cancer patients. I believe future generations will look back and remark that in the early 21st century we were still living in the dark ages of cancer treatment.

The benefits, in my opinion, do not outweigh the damage that could be caused by the drugs that are meant to poison and starve cancer cells. Cancer patients often have after affects of chemo.

I don't trust it. There's no cure for Autism. And some of the greatest scientists, musicians, politicians, warfighters, and athletes have harnessed the hyperfocus and self isolation of Autism to achieve greatness and new discoveries or records unseen by the world up to that point.

I wouldn't wish Autism on anyone, but a world full of nothing but neurotypical social butterflies sounds very exhausting. We need those strong silent types that Autism thrusts upon the world.

Last edited:
. And some of the greatest scientists, musicians, politicians, warfighters, and athletes have harnessed the hyperfocus and self isolation of Autism to achieve greatness and new discoveries or records unseen by the world up to that point.
And me best in school in biology :)

The articles suggest that the effect of the drug is temporary, that to
maintain the effect, the continued dose would be necessary.
My effect was temporary, lasting for 1 year or so more after chemo

Even if they work, I seriously doubt they'd be worth using. Cancer drugs have awful side effect profiles, and the benefit only outweighs the harm if the alternative is death. They're literally poisonous, with a LD50 threshold similar to many snake venoms.

New Threads

Top Bottom