• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you stand shoes?

Like wearing shoes?

• Yes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Usually

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Flip Flops ewe

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Flip Flops yay

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters
I hate the noise of crunching snow, and the feeling. But I like squishy mud.

Now that I think of it, I used to take my shoes off during class in high school and sit cross legged. I grew up with no shoes in the house, so that's what I do now. My feet sweat and feel uncomfortable if I leave them on inside.

That said, I do love the look of high heels and will wear them, but can't tolerate them of I have to stand or walk for more than just a few minutes at a time.

I like them for going outside rather than other options I have (boots, flip flops, barefoot and stepping on rocks, etc) but I do prefer barefoot given the option.

I just buy Ahnu waterproof all terrain sneakers and so i only have one pair at a time for everything.

I prefer walking around barefoot since it is hard for me to lift up my feet instead of slide like I tend to do. By that I mean left he foot higher instead of more dragging.

I have to wear socks with tennis shoes because if I don't the back of the tennis shoes always makes my feet bleed due to rubbing my feet wrong. I would wear socks inside the house but the slightly raised nails catch them and rip holes in them.

I can't stand shoes, I can't stand my feet feeling hot, ugh, I love socks, all kinds of socks... I do love heels, the bigger the better and especially wedges in the summer.

But whenever I'm wearing gym shoes, sneakers, I have to take them off at any chance I get. I only wear skater shoes for this purpose, easy to slide in and out of and never having to tie.

Anytime I'm sitting the shoes come off, restaurants, movies (which i cant stand but thats a different topic) people's houses, class, school, work (well at my current work I leave them on most of the time because they're big awesome platform heels and I love them) but at other jobs if I could I was out of them.

I just think it's kind of funny that everyone else never takes off their shoes, even when I had people crash me I've noticed a few times they were sleeping in gym shoes! O_O wtf!

I also can't wear flip flops unless just in my house, do people not notice how nasty and black their feet get when they're wearing flip flops around all day?? At least proper sandals don't have that problem.... lol

My best shoes are birkenstocks. Love them. The kind that slip in, not the buckle-up kind. I don't like to take the time to tie or buckle anything. I like tennis shoes (sneakers) when doing active things but most of the time, I like to be barefoot or in birkenstocks. Alas, my birks that I got in 1989 died a few years ago and I have not had the money to replace them. I'm barefoot as I type.

I love going barefoot in grass. When I'm tense in the back of my neck and head, walking barefoot over gravel seems to ease the tension. Kinda like holding a bag of ice to keep from cutting. Just enough pain to get a response from the brain. I absolutely, do not, like walking barefoot in mud deeper than 1cm. The feeling of it squirting and oozing between my toes makes me feel like I'm about to jump out of my skin. wet sand is OK, and snow, same response as gravel. Dry sand or dirt, I cant stand getting under my finger and toenails. Just thinking about it, made a cold chill from my jaw teeth, to the back of my head, and down my spine. Any one have all terrain peds ?

No mud for my feet either!! I got the cold chills thinking about what you wrote, too. Shiver.

ive said it on here before [ive also made a video about it..i think]but i cant tolerate any form of clothing including socks and shoes without feeling a lot of overload/pain.
i will strip off wherever possible without raising calls of 'thats inappropriate behavior em,you need to get your stuff back on' from support staff or my sister who has got as much empathy/sympathy as a rock.
i used to go around outside with no shoes and no socks [plus no clothes to-down to my nappy and sports bra,but the staff had a lot to do and say about that :p ],id refuse to put shoes on so they only took me local places up to a couple of streets away.
a NHS podiatrist said i had some of the best feet she had seen when i went to get a big old blister trimmed off and my nails done, wearing no shoes/socks makes your feet tougher i think.
i dont go around the community wearing no shoes anymore because i have been trained out of that but i have made a comprimise at home, i wear some baggy bedroom shorts when im in my apartment-no top on,no shoes/socks and it stops the staff complaining although my sister expects me to wear the lot when she comes,i wish she would understand sensory needs are not a form of selfishness.

Overload of pain? I have it on a small scale, after scratching (my own) itch, the skin will feel good for a moment, then hurt for about a minute. It's pretty intense. I figured lately that maybe it had something to do with autism (co-morbidity, maybe) so I googled it.

Allodynia (Ancient Greek άλλος állos "other" and οδύνη odúnē "pain") refers to central pain sensitization (increased response of neurons) following normally non-painful, often repetitive, stimulation. Allodynia can lead to the triggering of a pain response from stimuli which do not normally provoke pain.

When I was in kindergarten, I used to take my shirt off at school until the authorities told me that wasn't acceptable. So I happily followed the rules. As soon as school was out, off came the shirt, even though it wasn't ladylike.
:)

Now I know why I had such issues with clothes.

I hate wearing shoes, especially in the summer when its hot. I got myself some half-closed sandals for work that aren't as bad because they breath. I wear them with socks. haha! But shoes are torture.

Indoors in my house, I'm barefoot, no socks.
Outside of it, I'd wear Crocs.

Actual shoes I find uncomfortable and I wear them only when needed. Recently, my feet have been hurting when I walk in my Crocs.

To elaborate on how I find shoes uncomfortable: They feel restrictive and stiff.

I don't prefer shoes and like to be barefoot as much as possible either inside or outside. It just feels better than being all crammed up.

I'm fine with (comfortable) shoes, but I really prefer to be barefooted. I refuse to wear bras though, no matter how much my mom insist on me wearing those, though I wear one on rare occasions (and take it off as soon as possible). Really, why should I wear something uncomfortable just because I have boobs?

Oh, and I wear socks inside-out, with the softer side against my skin. Anyone else doing that?

I'm fine with (comfortable) shoes, but I really prefer to be barefooted. I refuse to wear bras though, no matter how much my mom insist on me wearing those, though I wear one on rare occasions (and take it off as soon as possible). Really, why should I wear something uncomfortable just because I have boobs?

Oh, and I wear socks inside-out, with the softer side against my skin. Anyone else doing that?
I have to wear bras I can't stand fabric lightly brushing my nipples or them sticking through my shirt. I get thick padded ones that feel more like some kind of armor.

To each their own, I guess. In my case bras are either too tight so they leave marks or too loose so they rub against my nipple and it's annoying as hell. And it's not from a lack of trying to find the right one. I mostly wear cotton shirts though, many other fabrics are indeed annoying without bras.

To each their own, I guess. In my case bras are either too tight so they leave marks or too loose so they rub against my nipple and it's annoying as hell. And it's not from a lack of trying to find the right one. I mostly wear cotton shirts though, many other fabrics are indeed annoying without bras.
Have you ever been measured for one?

no, but I'd rather spend my money on something else. I don't have any good reason to wear one anyway

(btw I like your profile pic, MLP is what got me back into cartoons instead of just watching anime)

no, but I'd rather spend my money on something else. I don't have any good reason to wear one anyway

(btw I like your profile pic, MLP is what got me back into cartoons instead of just watching anime)
Yeah I just need it I'm very big, large D cup so I really need to support and protection. I was trying to elaborate more before but my phone deleted my message. Bras are stupid expensive I refuse to go to victorIA secret for them, girls be spending 70-90$ a bra there, I've been finding some good ones (for me) at kmart actually (they actually only run 6-15$ there), most stores dont even carry my size, and sport bras make me sweat so bad in the chest it reeks (ew like total hippie smell) I only like them when I'm actually jogging or running

Yes and no. I don't like having my feet enclosed, but I have really flat feet, and awful ligament laxity, so I need arch support orthotics, and ankle support if possible. Rock and a hard place really. I do have a pair of thongs ;)( I'm aware that in the US thongs refer to an item of lengerie, and in other places they are known as flip flops/ jandals/havianas but here they are thongs) that have arch supports, because I get sick of unlacing shoes whenever i enter the house.

Shoes used to bother me when I was younger. This ended when I started buying my own shoes, though. Sensory issues make me really picky/choosy, but I'd say my wardrobe is one of my collecting obsessions - especially when it comes to shoes, though I now feel at ~ 40 pair, I have a "complete" collection of shoes and sandals. I have a burning need to have casual and dress shoes in multiple colours so I can match to anything. Now I feel that I have that, so I just have 'em repaired/replaced.

I do like flip-flops/thong sandals, actually. They give me control/a way to keep the sandal on my foot. Now, if there are rough edges/seams on the thong, then I won't buy or wear them. I just buy nicer more comfortable flops, though, from Olu Kai/Teva.

Also, I refuse to wear anything that laces up unless it's an athletic shoe or hiking boot. I just don't see the point in the hassle of tying/untying when I can just buy shoes that fit so I can pull them on/off as needed/desired...

Nice looking shoes like leather shoes or high heels are terrible. Leather shoe's borders are digging into my feet when I walk, or at least every one I tried did. An his heels is well known to be torture, even for NTs (who buy into the myth that you need to suffer to be beautiful: If you need to suffer to be beautiful, then it's because beauty standards are messed up!). Girls shoes also tend to be more pointy, even with running shoes so I usually wear men shoes.

New Threads

Top Bottom