• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can I have some advice, please, on protocol regarding disclosing my autism to my employer?

autism-and-autotune

A musical mind with recent revelations
Good day, and thanks in advance!

I'm returning to the same company which I worked at over the course of four years. I'm grateful to be working again but I can already think of some things which may give me sensory issues on the job, which I know will impact the interpersonal aspect of the position. Lately...speaking has been somewhat difficult for me, as it takes a while for the words to come out. Granted, while I was at this company I didn't know that I have autism and there were definitely days where my nervous system was met with a cheese grater. Maybe I'm just imagining situations and outcomes and over-thinking everything, but...

I worry, essentially, that I'll reach a breaking-point on the job because I'm more aware of my autism and it will be apparent. Granted, there are many company-held worker concern lines, but part of me worries that I'll have to disclose my autism and they'll be curious as to why I didn't reveal it in the interviews (I've known for four months, officially). Is it reasonable to tell them that I likely wouldn't have been hired had I disclosed my disability? For a company which promotes inclusiveness of all kinds and boasts of this fact...I wonder if they had autism in mind.

This is highly individualized.

1. If you are in a country with laws offering protections for those with disabilities, this can be helpful. Not every country does.
2. If you are at a larger business where there is a human resources department, this can be helpful. It separates the managers and supervisors, as they may not have to know, and two, if you actually need accommodations, it comes down from human resources, not the managers and supervisors. As they say, "The poop rolls downhill." Your managers and supervisors might not like it, but they have to comply, or else.
3. If you are at a smaller business with a manager and supervisor only, then be cautious, even in countries with laws protecting you. All they need to do is manipulate the narrative that suits them, and you may find yourself looking for another job.
4. Consider the people who work with you. Are they an empathetic group, or not so much?
5. Sometimes, you have to prove yourself a valuable employee, then "come out" as autistic. That was my experience. I not only explained that I have an autism spectrum condition, but what that means in terms of our communication styles, interpersonal relationships, and my sensory issues.

I had the advantage of working at a large hospital system, in the US with the Americans with Disabilities Act, a human resources department above my managers and supervisors, I had proven myself over time, and am working with a group of people who are accustomed to working with "diversity".

My experience is unique to me.

Wouldn't recommend it. I've always worked in either redneck areas or Polish immigrant areas but basically telling your employers you're autistic is a good way to get picked on. I genuinely would not recommend, unless you're somewhere that's got a lot friendlier (or better-educated, or just plain normal-er) people.

Unless you're signing up for a program that gets you a job based on your diagnosis, I wouldn't recommend it either. I did sign up for such a program- and it is the only job for which I have revealed such a label.

I'm not sure of your specific needs, but if something in written form would be easier to convey, check out the site Fiverr. You can pay a small fee to have someone professional write a letter for you. I needed a letter written last year requesting accomodations at my job, and it was really helpful.

I don't follow everyone's postings on this forum, obviously, therefore I don't know the following:

1) Do you live in the U.S.?

2) Have you been professionally diagnosed with autism or are you self-diagnosed?

I just don't think disclosing is going to help you unless you're diagnosed and open to the idea of hiring a lawyer and actually threatening them. But if your worry is over getting fired for being too weird, the solution would be to learn from your mistakes and work on your self-confidence. I had so many short-term jobs in my 20s, once because I didn't know I had to tell my boss I wasn't coming in for the day (I was told to go home the next time I showed up), and that did damage my confidence. I was still paranoid about getting fired even after I've managed to hold down a job for three years, but now I don't even think about it anymore.

As for the socialization aspect of job, while a lot of 20-somethings do use the workplace as a way to make friends and hang out, know that you don't need to participate if you don't feel comfortable or confident yet. For now, you might want to focus on doing your job well, and just remain polite. A lot of managers don't mind weird employees as long as they get the job done.

Oh, and of course the inclusiveness thing is a joke. Most people have a very specific idea of what autism looks like, and if you did ok enough at the interview you're not it.

New Threads

Top Bottom