• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can Empathy Be Developed??

GHA

In my humble opinion, Empathy is one word, that is misunderstood by people. Its not only about going " beneath the skin" as most psychologists put it. Having been closely supporting my son in adapting to the NT world; I believe that empathy is one of the biggest challenges he faces. He has no problem in getting to understand the other person, but finds it challenging to relate to his own emotional state. Can empathy be developed???

I think in all but a few cases, empathy or something like empathy can be developed, but it takes time, maturity and experience.

Empathy is an action with emotions. Its perceiving emotions and reciprocating with emotions in all communication verbal and non-verbal... This is where I find a disconnect...

I do believe a form of empathy can be developed, even if somewhat artificial, in nature. Both my son and I haved worked on what empathy means to others. We have been working hard in supporting others, and following up with the correct emotional responses, to meet the expections of the meaning of empathy. This is a learnt response, remembering that empathy is generally for others. The effect on others carries the illusion of empathy, which validates how they are feeling. My son has taken it a step further and developed the facial expressions, that go with empathy. He can also support at what appears to be the right emotional reciprocations, which is also learnt behaviour . We both know it is not real empathy, but it is a close second, with practice.

Cheers
Turk

Last edited:
I do believe a form of empathy can be developed, even if somewhat artificial, in nature. Both my son and I haved worked on what empathy means to others. We have been working hard in supporting others, and following up with the correct emotional responses, to meet the expections of the meaning of empathy. This is a learnt response, remembering that empathy is generally for others. The effect on others carries the illusion of empathy, which validates how they are feeling. My son has taken it a step further and developed the facial expressions, that go with empathy. He can also support at what appears to be the right emotional reciprocations, which is also learnt behaviour . We both know it is not real empathy, but it is a close second, with practice.

Cheers
Turk

With empathy, I also think it's the intention that matters. Even if you aren't actually on the same emotional wavelength, the message and the intent is there.

Absolutely, however, as my son has found, the emotional state, that others display, needs to be addressed as well. Emotional responses from others, during this process, can cause instability, in the Asperger mind. To balance these emotions, while in the support of others, is where the real work is. Without taking all this into consideration, others can spot whether this a genuine attempt to support them

I developed empathy in the second half of my twenties. Don't ask me how, it was something that just happened.

I developed empathy in the second half of my twenties. Don't ask me how, it was something that just happened.

It was something that I had to consciously work on. Although I'm still not sure if I project it or simply emulate it. It confuses me at times...and I think this is the only place on the planet I'm willing to admit to it.

I think you are empathetic and not just emulating it, Judge. Even if you had to work on learning how to express it, you are empathetic. I don't know you that well, but I can see it.

I think you are empathetic and not just emulating it, Judge. Even if you had to work on learning how to express it, you are empathetic. I don't know you that well, but I can see it.

Thanks. Could well be Ereth. It just confuses me for some reason...as if I am second guessing my own intent. Odd...but then I have many oddities. But it seems that if it's something I truly relate to, it's probably genuine on my part.

If you cant spot the difference judge, and no one else can, I think you can safely say, youve acheived empathy

Short answer: Yes.

I was discussing my AS with a newish and very smart friend of mine, and he said, "But you can't have AS, you clearly have empathy!"

In thinking about it since then, I would have to agree that I do, but how came it? Does it work in me in the same way as in those who developed it early and in the usual way?

I don't have it all clear in my head yet, but some things I have noticed:
I wasn't very empathetic right up through my teens. But then, I've always been very, very "inside my own head". My family have always said that I live in my own little world. So for starters, I wasn't paying much attention to others. I didn't look anyone in the eye or observe faces or body language, cause if I did, I didn't get information that connected me to them, but overwhelming and confusing nonsense instead. It seems obvious now that for one thing, I wasn't reading others' emotional states unless they were overt, very clear and unmistakeable.

I seem now to have sort of a Rube Goldberg, hit or miss empathy mechanism in place. Through imagination (I have an extremely vivid and active one), context, and a sort of remembering and connecting together of breakthrough empathetic moments I've had, combined with some rote "now is the time to say something like X" routines, I sometimes demonstrate something like real-time empathy. Given time to think about it, I can usually get into another's shoes, but 2 hrs later doesn't work socially. There are certain sorts of situations that have made a very significant impact on me, and I more adeptly read the effect of such events on others. Sometimes, I even "hurt for someone else". But it's not consistent, or effortless, and if I try too hard, I feel like some sort of pod-spawned alien trying to masquerade as a human being. I'd rather be thought callous, cold, uncaring, than go through a lot of work learning to deceive others.

But yes, I do have some real empathy.

Very nicely said ok _now. I have to say, I truly miss having intelligent, well thought out conversation like this. Some of you are so self aware, you almost push beyond the boundries of your condition. The way you express yourselves and your journeys, give hope to everyone one of us, who read it

Well, I can't speak my actual thoughts anywhere but here, without being, well you know how that always ends. So, I need this. Thanks for making the effort to get me. You don't have to like it, but just get it!

Aspies are mostly very articulate. The more I read various threads,my understanding of AS improves. Empathy, is an all encompassing word with meanings far beyond human beings understanding.. Having seen my son grow and having observed his emotions and passions leading to various actions; I firmly believe that Aspies do have empathy but suppressed deep down in their soul. This challenge is a result of over indulgence in self obsession. Empathy is a subset of imagination and intuition; I find my son very imaginative and intuitive. Its only that his preoccupation with his self, which I call "soul crushing" inhibits his ability to see the world around. He is doing very well in his job, which entails, conceptualizing projects; so my question? If a person can conceptualize a complicated project and have it approved by NT boss, how can we say imagination is a challenge for him? And if imagination is not a challenge for him, then empathy is defiantly embedded somewhere in the soul....

Its all about perspective. As Aspie's, we live deep in ourselves. Our imagination revolves around our special interest. Its fair to say, that we focus on very small specific point. As my physcologist pounts out, it is only when we step back and take a wider look at the world, we can move from self to a global picture. Its not impossible, but does take practice. That is why some Aspie's display more empathy or broader skill sets. Jusy out of curtiousy, has your son ever seen a physcologist. My Physcologist used such profound Aspie logic on me, that I recieved life's message, loud and clear. I believe empathy and imagination are in us all, we just have a different key, to unlock it.

Cheers
Turk

Last edited:
Aspies are mostly very articulate. The more I read various threads,my understanding of AS improves. Empathy, is an all encompassing word with meanings far beyond human beings understanding.. Having seen my son grow and having observed his emotions and passions leading to various actions; I firmly believe that Aspies do have empathy but suppressed deep down in their soul. This challenge is a result of over indulgence in self obsession. Empathy is a subset of imagination and intuition; I find my son very imaginative and intuitive. Its only that his preoccupation with his self, which I call "soul crushing" inhibits his ability to see the world around. He is doing very well in his job, which entails, conceptualizing projects; so my question? If a person can conceptualize a complicated project and have it approved by NT boss, how can we say imagination is a challenge for him? And if imagination is not a challenge for him, then empathy is defiantly embedded somewhere in the soul....

Apparrently, unorthodox problem-solving is an aspie asset. I've been told that I do this myself. I really latched onto your use of "conceptualize" here. I often solve problems, or design processes rather completely in my head before actually starting to do anything. I make great use of my imagination, and often "encounter" problems and make several iterations of changes before even attempting to do anything in the physical world.

Again, I wonder if the so-called aspie lack of empathy is just that we're not paying attention to others? I am certainly guilty of this myself.

Very encouraging feedback indeed!!! So, if Aspies have empathy, where is the key to unlock?? Very nicely put by Turk.... Yes my son does visit a physiologist and he has never been on any med. I, however, do not think that most of the phycologist have the key to unlock...

Again, I wonder if the so-called Aspie lack of empathy is just that we're not paying attention to others? I am certainly guilty of this myself.

It wouldn't surprise me. People with autism process the world in different ways and are often overwhelmed by all the stimuli. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't care about other people.

New Threads

Top Bottom