• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can anyone here read body language and facial expressions

Heve you done online tests such as AQ and RAADS-R?
The assessor did RAADS-R and I got 168. The assessor thinks RAADS was high as I have ADHD, which I think so too, but I don't agree ADHD was the reason for my RAADS high score. Dunno if I have done AQ. I did rdos see signature, I have done some aspire tests nd they all come out that I am aspie.
Dunno if the UK are trying to cut down diagnosis people as they are making it stricter. Hope Im just being cynical.

It is a good idea to make sure s/he is familiar with Wing, Grandin, Attwood, etc. Those who stop at Kanner are woefully behind the times (and are quacks).

Severity levels are based on one's current severity evaluation.* They can stay the same, improve or get worse. If your speech & walking are okay, now, and you have no other severe co-morbids, you are, now, ASD1. You will always be autistic, but not everyone is stuck with their severe co-morbids for life.

*That was one of the problems with the autism diagnoses on the DSM-4.

There are still problems with thinking of these things as disorders. I meant to say that without the extreme ADHD, I would be ASD-2. I may even be headed in that direction... who knows.

I do not really feel that the disorder model of psychology is scientific. I feel that the order of nature is not the order that humans see. Humans see constellations and asterisms where there are just points of lights from stars that were never ordered that way for humans to see things in them. Humans seeing disorders is akin to this.

I feel disorders are signs of functional types in the human race that assisted in survival.

In my personal theory I am EC+U+S- (Extra-cultural plus, understanding plus, somatic minus). This means that I do not learn or process human culture and am actually more of an extreme primal human.

I have only met one other person who is as extreme as me (that I know of) and have verified the deep similarity of thinking. I find it interesting that I can pass as NT when I am even more clueless than most aspies, lol.

I actually communicate non-verbally through eye contact which I avoid now because it causes issues.

There are still problems with thinking of these things as disorders. I meant to say that without the extreme ADHD, I would be ASD-2. I may even be headed in that direction... who knows.

I do not really feel that the disorder model of psychology is scientific. I feel that the order of nature is not the order that humans see. Humans see constellations and asterisms where there are just points of lights from stars that were never ordered that way for humans to see things in them. Humans seeing disorders is akin to this.

I feel disorders are signs of functional types in the human race that assisted in survival.

In my personal theory I am EC+U+S- (Extra-cultural plus, understanding plus, somatic minus). This means that I do not learn or process human culture and am actually more of an extreme primal human.

I have only met one other person who is as extreme as me (that I know of) and have verified the deep similarity of thinking. I find it interesting that I can pass as NT when I am even more clueless than most aspies, lol.

I actually communicate non-verbally through eye contact which I avoid now because it causes issues.
I see asperger's as a blessing not a disorder.

I must disagree on conditions that are contrary to social survival. Those states devalue life (their own and/or that of others). Such disorders, like Borderline Personality Disorder, are considered to be antisocial. Basic autism, by contrast, is only dyssocial.

Can anyone help me "translate" these criterion on my autism assessors letter into plain English please. They describe difficulties but not in a way I can understand. Thanks.

Sorry for the strikethrough, I cannot get rid of it

1.Lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g.a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out to other people objects of interest to the individual.

Last edited:
1.Lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g.a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out to other people objects of interest to the individual.)
Tends to be a loner in recreational pursuits.

Sorry for the strike-through, I cannot get rid of it
When you edit that post, click on the little "page" icon.
Delete [s] & [/s] where they occur.
Click on "Use Rich Text Editor" on the lower left edge of the page.
Re-save post.

Last edited:
I must disagree on conditions that are contrary to social survival. Those states devalue life (their own and/or that of others). Such disorders, like Borderline Personality Disorder, are considered to be antisocial. Basic autism, by contrast, is only dyssocial.

You are looking at things from a perspective that we are all solitary animals that survive alone. Even when talking about not being social. Humanity is like an organism with different organs that perform different functions.

Not being social IS the survival function of autism within greater humanity. Humans form tight knit tribes that exclude or fight other tribes and view them as less than human. So.... what happens when a tribe of humans will not mate with outsiders of different cultures? They form a deme that leads to mutational meltdown.

So... the tribes that survived in earlier iterations of culture had members that did not process their birth culture. Being tortured by NTs is a feature, not a bug... or we would never leave our birth tribe to spread our genes in another tribe that is ok with us because we do not bring a poison culture with us.

When we define things from within our culture (or dominant scientific consensus)... We can miss out on some obvious things. Nature is built on function and autism has a function as do other things we don't like to have or be.

We are not that far from living in the wild in the scope of evolution... we are very "tribal" and this does not allow for gene spreading in early culture. Other animals have this too. Sharks will leave their birth areas to travel to new mating sites half way around the world. This is because of genetic need of the species. If it didn't happen, these species would have died out.

Hi I thought I posted this but it is not showing when I looked at the thread.
My assessor has written the following criterion on his letter of my failed autism assessment, and I would like them translated into plain English please.
Thanks

1.Failure to develop in a manner appropriate to mental age, and despite ample opportunities peer relationships that involve a mutual sharing of interests activities and emotions.

2. Lack of socio emotional reciprocity as shown by an impaired or deviant response to other people’s emotions; or lack of modulation of behaviour according to social context; or a weak integration of social, emotional, and communicative behaviours.

3. Lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g.a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out to other people objects of interest to the individual.
Thanks

My assessor has written the following criterion on his letter of my failed autism assessment, and I would like them translated into plain English please.

1. Essentially, you don't have the (social) abilities or relationships with others that are typical for those of your age.

2. You don't show the right emotional (social) response to emotions of others; or you don't behave as expected in specific (social) situations; or you are unable to communicate in an expected way.

3. You are a loner in the pursuit of your interests and aren't interested in sharing of joy (at all or in the the expected way).

Thanks

1.Failure to develop in a manner appropriate to mental age, and despite ample opportunities peer relationships that involve a mutual sharing of interests activities and emotions.

2. Lack of socio emotional reciprocity as shown by an impaired or deviant response to other people’s emotions; or lack of modulation of behaviour according to social context; or a weak integration of social, emotional, and communicative behaviours.

3. Lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g.a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out to other people objects of interest to the individual.
Thanks

You are not "NT" and therefore not part of the "order" so you are disordered.

1. "NT"s Have cultural expectations of acting a certain age appropriately. These stages of cultural development are not like those of people who do not learn culture (ASD). "NT"s have expectations based on culture. (this is what they call a "theory of mind"). You are expected to be interested in what another person is, even if you are not interested. You are expected to emote with another person even if you do not feel those emotions or really care ("NT"s may not care but they are expected to act like it and they know it)

2. Same as 1.

3. same as 1.

yeah... so you didn't learn the cultural expectations of you, cannot read their faces and bodily expressions. You don't act the age expected in your birth culture and you cannot pretend because you never learned how. All of these things you needed to learn, are learned at a young age and are highly complex. You simply do not have the mental machinery to learn culture. You may have the machinery to run culture (I personally do not) but since you didn't learn culture, these behaviours are viewed as idiosyncratic and disordered.

I really love how they can pack so many words around a simple thing to make it seem really professional and scientific.

In a nutshell:
You didn't learn culture and you can't learn culture and you can't follow cultural expectations. A difference in the cognitive machinery that helps you learn culture (mirror neurons) also may cause delays in walking and talking. Cultural people (NT) have these expectations of you and their fee-fees are hurt when you don't do what they expect. They get to bully you because you are different and you hurt their fee fees.

In my theories... you leave the tribe and mate into another one that views your differences as being some part of the tribe you left so they are ignored.

1. Essentially, you don't have the (social) abilities or relationships with others that are typical for those of your age.

2. You don't show the right emotional (social) response to emotions of others; or you don't behave as expected in specific (social) situations; or you are unable to communicate in an expected way.

3. You are a loner in the pursuit of your interests and aren't interested in sharing of joy (at all or in the the expected way).
Hi and Thanks
Yikes, I don't want him to think I am just looking at autism for an excuse to my problems.

Sorry about this but would you mind clarifying the first point, as I still don't know if the problems I have put throughout the letter will get me a diagnosis.
For 1, the problems I have put are as follows:-
While I do agree with my RAADS-R and EQ scores, I disagree that ADHD alone is the reason my RAADS score was 168 and my EQ was 16, although I do believe I have ADHD as well as Asperger’s.
You wrote that you felt I displayed some deficits in my use of eye contact and other verbal gestures. I do not agree that this is due to my level of distractibility and over-vigilance alone. The the high amount of drugs I was on in the interviews enabled me to offer natural eye contact and moderate the conversation in a skilful manner.

Here are examples of my poor eye contact, this list is not exhaustive.
  • Mum never told you about my lifelong intolerance to loud noises, (see Auditory above)
  • Mum used to get annoyed at my lack of eye contact, and used to make me “look her in the eye” which I found very overwhelmingand distressing.
  • When in nurse training, a Ward Sister said I don’t make eye contact.
  • I used to always look away in school and work if a peer caught my eye, I would look down and pick my fingernails.
  • Another ex-boyfriend commented that I look away instead of at people’s eyes.
  • In situations like job interviews for instance, I look at people’s heads rather than their eyes. I could not remember your eyes after the assessment.
  • Dr ******* my psychiatrist commented on my usual lack of eye contact in his letter of 26th October 2018.
  • I had to apologise to a plumber recently as I was looking away when discussing a job.
  • When my CPN did home visits before COVID he let me play a repetitive computer game to self-soothe and he knows it is uncomfortable to look him in the eye despite him being nice.
  • It’s even uncomfortable to look at people’s heads sometimes, hence me looking down.
  • I can think of many more examples of where I look down while having a conversation.

Do you think any of these match the criterion of 1.Failure to develop in a manner appropriate to mental age, and despite ample opportunities peer relationships that involve a mutual sharing of interests activities and emotions.

New Threads

Top Bottom