• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can anyone here read body language and facial expressions

You are not "NT" and therefore not part of the "order" so you are disordered.

1. "NT"s Have cultural expectations of acting a certain age appropriately. These stages of cultural development are not like those of people who do not learn culture (ASD). "NT"s have expectations based on culture. (this is what they call a "theory of mind"). You are expected to be interested in what another person is, even if you are not interested. You are expected to emote with another person even if you do not feel those emotions or really care ("NT"s may not care but they are expected to act like it and they know it)

2. Same as 1.

3. same as 1.

yeah... so you didn't learn the cultural expectations of you, cannot read their faces and bodily expressions. You don't act the age expected in your birth culture and you cannot pretend because you never learned how. All of these things you needed to learn, are learned at a young age and are highly complex. You simply do not have the mental machinery to learn culture. You may have the machinery to run culture (I personally do not) but since you didn't learn culture, these behaviour are viewed as idiosyncratic.

I really love how they can pack so many words around a simple thing to make it seem really professional and scientific.

In a nutshell:
You didn't learn culture and you can't learn culture and you can't follow cultural expectations. A difference in the cognitive machinery that helps you learn culture (mirror neurons) also may cause delays in walking and talking. Cultural people (NT) have these expectations of you and their fee-fees are hurt when you don't do what they expect. They get to bully you because you are different and you hurt their fee fees.

In my theories... you leave the tribe and mate into another one that views your differences as being some part of the tribe you left so they are ignored.
Hi, thanks, can you think of a simple way I can put this in the letter.
The letter I have written is 9 pages long.
It even crossed my mind to put it on here, omitting sensitive info out like names etc, to see if it will wash with the assessor.

Hi, thanks, can you think of a simple way I can put this in the letter.
The letter I have written is 9 pages long.
It even crossed my mind to put it on here, omitting sensitive info out like names etc, to see if it will wash with the assessor.

This is the tough part! Even my way of thinking about these things is not a common way to think even among aspies.

Since you are both ADHD and ASD... this presents differently than "straight" ASD. most people with "the mix" are hard to diagnose and the DSM used to say they were not co morbid (if you have one, the other cannot be part of the diagnosis). Do you have the ability to ask for another assessment by a psychologist who knows that they can be co-morbid? (I really hate using disorder terms here but that is the way the world thinks... remember being gay was a disorder and being dark skinned might well have been considered that)

This is the tough part! Even my way of thinking about these things is not a common way to think even among aspies.

Since you are both ADHD and ASD... this presents differently than "straight" ASD. most people with "the mix" are hard to diagnose and the DSM used to say they were not co morbid (if you have one, the other cannot be part of the diagnosis). Do you have the ability to ask for another assessment by a psychologist who knows that they can be co-morbid? (I really hate using disorder terms here but that is the way the world thinks... remember being gay was a disorder and being dark skinned might well have been considered that)
Hi
Im in the UK and we use the ICD-10 different to the DSM.
The assessor I got and who just wrote to me knows that ADHD and ASD are co-morbid, we talked about it in the interview.

His letter repeats itself and those criteria among others are at the end of the letter, so I decided to write mine in the order he wrote his, the reason for this is that as I was on drugs and drinking when I had the 3 interviews I said things that suggest NT, and also, my mum was given a questionnaire and she missed off some ASD traits she told me off about like rocking and eye contact.

I think that is a great start! People with ADHD only basically look "NT" (many here would consider them that)

I have both and was diagnosed with autism at 3 before I could trick the doctors :) They tested me again at 4th grade and found that my vocabulary was off the charts yet I was socially immature. I was diagnosed with aspergers at that point (and held back for another year). In the 7th grade and again when I was 35, I was diagnosed with ADHD. Most people think I am NT... even aspies I know. I am just next level clueless... so clueless in fact that it makes me look NT... go figure.

Sorry to bother you again, just reading through my letter, and still can't interpret

2Failure to develop in a manner appropriate to mental age, and despite ample opportunities peer relationships that involve a mutual sharing of interests activities and emotions.

Does saying the wrong thing and accidentally offending people come under this?
Does being easily manipulated and exploited come under this.
Does not being able to gauge peoples inten
I think that is a great start! People with ADHD only basically look "NT" (many here would consider them that)

I have both and was diagnosed with autism at 3 before I could trick the doctors :) They tested me again at 4th grade and found that my vocabulary was off the charts yet I was socially immature. I was diagnosed with aspergers at that point (and held back for another year). In the 7th grade and again when I was 35, I was diagnosed with ADHD. Most people think I am NT... even aspies I know. I am just next level clueless... so clueless in fact that it makes me look NT... go figure.

Sorry to bother you again, just reading through my letter, and still can't interpret

2Failure to develop in a manner appropriate to mental age, and despite ample opportunities peer relationships that involve a mutual sharing of interests activities and emotions.

Does saying the wrong thing and accidentally offending people come under this?
Does being easily manipulated and exploited come under this.
Does not being able to gauge peoples inten

Absolutely! Most ADDers do not have these issues as strongly as ASD people do. There is just enough overlap to make it confusing. I think pointing out the severity of these issues in comparison to ADDers would be helpful.

It is really challenging being "the mix" and being understood. We also tend to draw in what I call "respect driven" people (often NPD in the disorder terminology) You are also most likely in something I call "the pattern" in which one parent is "ADD" (understanding driven) and the other is respect driven.

Are you the oldest female in your biological family?

Absolutely! Most ADDers do not have these issues as strongly as ASD people do. There is just enough overlap to make it confusing. I think pointing out the severity of these issues in comparison to ADDers would be helpful.

It is really challenging being "the mix" and being understood. We also tend to draw in what I call "respect driven" people (often NPD in the disorder terminology) You are also most likely in something I call "the pattern" in which one parent is "ADD" (understanding driven) and the other is respect driven.

Are you the oldest female in your biological family?
I am the youngest of the family.
Funnily enough my late Dad seems to tick the boxes for Narcissistic personality disorder, he was also verbally sadistic and possibly even a touch of antisocial personality disorder.
The thing is, if I put these things down again under the criteria, I will be repeating myself in the letter, and the assessor is quite impatient.
I Remember booking the appointment and I had doctors appointments on each date he offered, he threatened to discharge me without an assessment if I did not cancel one of my doctors appointments.

Last edited:
I am the youngest of the family.
Funnily enough my late Dad seems to tick the boxes for Narcissistic personality disorder, he was also verbally sadistic and possibly even a touch of antisocial personality disorder.
The thing is, if I put these things down again under the criteria, I will be repeating myself in the letter, and the assessor is quite impatient.
I Remember booking the appointment and I had doctors appointments on each date he offered, he threatened to discharge me without an assessment if I did not cancel one of my doctors appointments.
My father was a sociopath. He was nice to me but cheated women out of their money in romance con games.

My mother married him then her next was a psychopath... finally she settled on a run of the mill somatic narcissist.

Let's just say I had an interesting childhood.

My father was a sociopath. He was nice to me but cheated women out of their money in romance con games.

My mother married him then her next was a psychopath... finally she settled on a run of the mill somatic narcissist.

Let's just say I had an interesting childhood.
You had the worse challenges than me, hope my letter is not too exhausting.

I am good with facial expression and some body language, but sometimes I still need to ask how somebody is feeling outright.

I can see the obvious stuff like smiles and frowns and people huddling in fear. But those tests you see every now and again about facial expression? Half of the faces I see don't appear to express any emotion at all. yet they are supposed to be expressing anger or contempt or disgust or sadness or whatever. Also, I can't seem to distinguish between surprise and fear on a face.
I got 62/100
Some faces are just there, not doing anything. I didn't see any notable expression.

New Threads

Top Bottom