• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Broaching relationship issues with ASD boyfriend

I can't claim to understand him well, but I know how I would take this if I were in his shoes, I only offer food for thought, not advice or any product of my mind-reading ability (that will cost you extra!).

If I haven't actually told you that I feel like I'm always blaming you for your relationship concerns, it would bother me that (yet again?) you're trying to read my non-verbal signals and 'interpreting' what I say. I will say what I mean and mean what I say, I value clear communication. When somebody 'interprets' everything that takes away my ability to express myself, since when I say what I mean you don't hear what I mean, you hear some interpretation of it which I cannot anticipate and correct for.

Having said all that, it's waaaay better for you to air your misconceptions about what I'm thinking and feeling rather than continue to 'interpret' everything according to what you have guessed about what is going on inside me. I would hope that I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you're 'interpreting' everything right away, and that by now I'm wise enough to not hold that against you too harshly even if you are. If you wanted to make sure that I don't do that you might have said "I have relationship concerns which I'd like to resolve. They're about communication, so by definition they're problems that don't belong to either one of us alone, they're problems that we share, that stand between us. I want your help to get rid of them, I don't want things to stand between us."

I'm not sure why you think (or thought, I realize this was posted days ago) that this is part of his 'defenses', and he may not see it that way. Unnecessary characterisation of things is distressing to me, I might feel it necessary to clarify that there are no 'defenses' before giving you the opportunity to address whatever it is you think you were talking about. So far as I am concerned, you're trying to talk about something that you've imagined. (Maybe you're not, am obviously guessing at a lot here.) Attempting to justify things in terms of his feelings could only possibly not make things worse if you're accurate about how he feels, and you shouldn't assume that unless he's specifically told you (again, this is how I might feel), you might try to approach problems without attempting to assign feelings where possible. IMHO "problems that stand between us" would not require further justification to warrant action.

Thanks for your observations. Now that the crisis has passed, I have a lot better insight into my role and assumptions I make. I’m also aware of how my assumptions affect my mood. A low mood, for me, causes a lot of exaggeration of the negative that may not be there.

New Threads

Top Bottom